Black People Politics : Blackkklansmen

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by NNQueen, Aug 14, 2018.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    A Spike Lee Joint Film: Who has seen this movie and what did you think? Let's have a conversation.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +15,210
    i have no interest in stories about the klan, white or black.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    Movie based on a true story was more than about the Klan. True, it will strike hard on your emotions as a Black person but I believe it's worth seeing.

To me, Spike Lee films are more about us, Black people. This one is no different. The film is about Black people as seen through the eyes of Black people, past and present, right up to the 2016 presidential election, and including Charlottesville. The younger generation will see a diverging perspective on how to deal with aggressive hatred that's been around for a very long time. It took me down memory lane in many ways because it is rich in reflecting Black culture. Again, I think it's worth seeing and it's definitely worth the conversations it sparks. I'm going to recommend that the Black student alliance on my college campus sponsor the film and host a discussion afterward. Who knows, they may learn something from their predecessors who are featured in the film and be driven to be more active, starting at a PWI campus where the struggle is always real.

4. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +823
    Hoover musta died by the time that gig went down else it being local popo or not it would have been shut down.

5. Senegal

Senegal Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +613
    It was pretty interesting to me. I had heard about the story but never actually looked into it in detail. The biggest thing I got out of it was the struggle for a Black man having to make a career in a white world and alienating himself from other Black people in order to do so. I wondered if the main guy was a sellout and changed or was he just trying to make name for himself anyway he could? My mom said it brought back some memories for her.