Black Women : BLACK WOMEN & WHITE SUPREMACY...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
One though always seems to lead to another....

Firstly, this thread is not about pitting African men against African women... Boom, clear that thought so that you can think this through, and begin the process of providing some solutions if you can...

Fact is, when we look at most of the indicators of success in this society, it appears to me that African women fare much better agains the very same system which we say defeats the efforts of African men...namely White Supremacy. African women are better educated, they earn higher salaries, are more likely to own their homes, cars, and other property, are better set for their retirements, and are in much better health than African men... That even wih the stats, withstanding, that say they are more likely to contact the deadly diseases of diabetes and AIDS than any other group, and are now being incarcerated at rates that surpass even white men in this society...

My question is, why are they succeeding against the odds that confront them, and we as African men are lagging behind them in a male dominated society??? Why are there more young African women enrolled in college, for example, than young African men? Why are they entering into jobs, and opening more businesses in the face of White Supremacy than WE African men, even as they raise the children we've both produced? The stats say that based on the percentages of new entrepreneurial ventures, African American women actually TOP the list of ALL groups in this society! Did y'all know that???! I will find the page and present it for the skeptics and doubters... I don't want us brothers RUNNING from the facts that we must ultimately face about ourselves...

Again, I'm not so much attempting to pit us against our sisters, as trying to get us to reckon with what our job is, and that is to defeat this ubiquitous monster that has us feeling so disempowered... I am asking why the persons who sleep next to us at night seem to be spanking this monster on his behind as they would their misbehaving children - in spite of their myriad issues and woes - and we African men, with a few exceptions, find the monster so difficult to confront and defeat??? What is the difference between us emotionally and psychologically and spiritually, that one moves forward, and the other stands back tentatively??? Is there anyone bold enough, and wise enough to honestly tackle this question, and provide some answers and SOLUTIONS to the problem???

Peace!
Isaiah

Brother there's an excellent economic book out on this isssue already. I can't think of the name yet, but the final analysis of it was simple: Black women do something that black men don't do and they are pissed at us because we won't. What is it? Black men in general won't play the game to get ahead. What do I mean? I mean that I won't work a job where I got to always go in a suit and have what white folks regard as a Negro hair cut. It means that I'm not going to work a job where I have to play "the can we all get along game" where I have to act like I like white people, where we all eat together and talk like we're friends.

I will not work a job like that...going to the job parties and playing up to my white boss like I like him or I'm trying to show him that I want a raise or that I can work better than the other black people there. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN AND THE MAJORITY OF BROTHERS AIN'T GOING THERE EITHER !!! OUR SISTERS APPEAR NOT TO HAVE ANY ISSUE WITH THAT.

Keita said:
Brother there's an excellent economic book out on this isssue already. I can't think of the name yet, but the final analysis of it was simple: Black women do something that black men don't do and they are pissed at us because we won't. What is it? Black men in general won't play the game to get ahead. What do I mean? I mean that I won't work a job where I got to always go in a suit and have what white folks regard as a Negro hair cut. It means that I'm not going to work a job where I have to play "the can we all get along game" where I have to act like I like white people, where we all eat together and talk like we're friends.

I will not work a job like that...going to the job parties and playing up to my white boss like I like him or I'm trying to show him that I want a raise or that I can work better than the other black people there. IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN AND THE MAJORITY OF BROTHERS AIN'T GOING THERE EITHER !!! OUR SISTERS APPEAR NOT TO HAVE ANY ISSUE WITH THAT.

Hmmmm, Brother Keita, interesting answere to kick this one off, and one which I've held myself, off and on...

The problem for me, though, good brother, is that stat about African women having more business start-ups than African men... It leads me to believe that sisters, through their willingness to suffere the pain of going along to get along, derive the very benefits many of them seem to be aiming at... Like they've got a plan all along, and we African men approach the thing from - oh, boy - a more EMOTONAL perspective than our sisters...

Another question that is raised by that is, what happens along the pathway to, and after, her entrepreneurial start-up - when we need a couple a dollars to play lotto, or hang out with the catz, and she's the only one holdin'???(smile!) Do we ravenously take White Man's dollar from her bosum, or do we reject it on the ethical grounds of how it was earned???(smile!) Cynical and sinister questions on the rhetorical tip, brother, but deep enough ethically to be asked of our brothers... In essence, sisters will walk the walk, but when we accept that money which we sa she earned unethically, are we being just as unethical??? And if we are going to be so unethical as to accep the money from the middleman, why not just go on and get it from the man straight up??? At least we're earning our part, rather than accepting the fraction she gives us...

Peace!
Isaiah

on the one hand, it's about them being smarter. on another, it's about the emphasis being on making sure that us fellas don't get up, but, since they love themselves some Sistahs, too, maybe they think it might help them to get someplace with them.

`sides, getting on a Sistah's "bad side" prolly feels rather good in a corporate environment, seeing as how Ms. Lady can flay the paint off the side of a battleship and MAKE YA LIKE IT/WANT MORE!!

oops; i'm out ...

simple answer: she be way much smarter!!!

Keita said:

I dunno, most the brothers who don't work have the same haircuts as brothers who do.

Business is Business. White people love green more than they hate black.

We don't have to "play up" to any boss, black, white or yellow. Kissing butt doesn't work for brothers anyway, for if that's all you bring a white woman or a sister can do that and will look much better doing so since she's doing it in a skirt.

If we bring undeniable value, unquestionable excellence in our skills, then we carve out a seat for ourselves, without compromising our essence, long enough to learn what we need to do our own thing.

If we're mediocre, only as good as the next guy/gal, we got problems.

I agree many VERY talented brothers make a conscious decision not to deal with corporate America or legal enterprise of any kind.

Our problem is not enough have mastered the skills to make this a deliberate choice with a viable alternative rather than a forced one, with no compelling alternative.

Also not enough of those who've carved out seats are getting up from the table to start businesses employing brothers, which is also difficult, since the pool of skilled and willing brothers who'll work for black business is even smaller than those who'll work for white ones.

Solutions?

I dunno, I always come back around to education....

We can't have young brothers graduating high school at <50% so that it becomes "normal" to be a black male dropout, especially when even american college graduates are miles behind global competition.

A massive cultural transformation is needed; it can't continue to be cool to be a grown black man mostly broke and milking 4 or 5 women plus momma as a primary means of income.

When I was coming up I remember any slacking off would bring out a stern-faced pops coming with the "You're going to have to be TWICE as good..." speech. We've lost this cultural urgency and we do so at our own peril given the radical changes coming in the global marketplace.

A new economic model for trade between black folks could also help. Figure out a way to get rid of the dollar and come up with a bartering system.

If black people could live most of their lives comfortably exchanging goods and services with other black people, without ever exchanging a dollar, capitalisms power over us is crippled.

The education and skills requirement is not lessened however, so we have to find a way to educate and discipline our sons for manhood before we do anything.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back