Black Weight Loss : Black women. Weight loss. Fitness. Barriers?

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by warriorprincess, Jun 15, 2010.

1. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    Peace Sistars,

I would like to know what types of challenges do you have or have you had to maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regime? I think that weight loss and fitness is a lot more than just eating right and working out. I think that a lot of it is psychological. Our mindset and thoughts about our bodies affect our habits.

For example,
    Some women feel uncomfortable sweating too much because it messes up their hair.
    Some women feel that they do not have enough time to work out because they work so much.
    Some women feel that they don’t want to work out too much because they may loose their hour-glass figure.
    Some women are not sports-oriented and find other types of exercise to be boring.
    Some women give up on eating healthy because they feel that they can not afford the healthier items at stores such as Wholefoods.

I was thinking that if we could share our stories or advice, we could help each other to stay fit.

I posted this in the women’s forum because sometimes women have a unique path to fitness. We often are physiologically slower to loose weight, etc.

I realized a couple of years ago that I am an emotional eater. Its something that I have to watch out for. When I am feeling the stress, I just want to munch and munch and munch. Does anyone else do this?

I also realized that I crave unhealthy snacks when my diet is unbalanced or my blood sugar is low. Therefore I try to keep my blood sugar level throughout the day.

The third thing that I just this year realized is that it helps me soooo much to work out with around other people. Being in the gym or outside where other people are exercising really keeps my stamina up and brings out a bit of my competitive spirit.

I try my best to make overall fitness my goal and not a certain weight or dress size. This way I am not discouraged when the pounds on the scale do not reflect my efforts.

Any thoughts? Is this topic redundant? If so, I will add to a previous post on it.

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I guess i model my self after my mother, she is slim and tall and will not hold back her thoughts on me getting fat..lol..

So i keep her in mind when I start to go past the chunky zone... i'm not big on fast food as it makes my stomach hurt...my one vice is sugar, i have a huge appetite for sweets so bad i have to control the cravings by taking chromium.....exercise i do off and on.

what works for me is knowing when i am going too far with the unhealthy eating, and to stop before it gets out of control.

I am the opposite of you, i don't eat when I'm stressed.:10500:

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    I generally don't have a weight problem, as I am slim.

But I do have an issue when it comes to exercise and eating healthy.

When it comes to exercise I will do some cardio, maybe take a jog but that lasts for a couple of months and then I get lazy again. And I'll procrastinate cause I'll say it's rainy outside or the gym is always too packed...

And as for eating...I need to put some more fruits in veggies in my diet...And stop eating so late at night...I go on night binges...

4. warriorprincess

warriorprincess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +201
    Your situation is completely different from my friend's but your comment prompted me think about his situation and that of his sister's.

His mom would try to shame him into loosing weight by calling him names and constantly vocalizing her disdain for his size. She would also play he and his sister against each other. She would use the sister's weight to shame him about his weight. It is interesting how this tactic seems to work for some people yet, for others, it sends them in the opposite direction.

He is currently a yo-yo dieter and struggles with his weight. I am sure his sister does as well, but I know him better and am more aware of his progress.

5. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Chromium helps to correct hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which is the reason why one craves sweets..works for me that and green tea.

My mom doesn't say much just 'so what have you been eating?' everyone on her side is tall and skinny, so on her side of the family being overweight is not the norm.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Sister WarriorPrincess ... Peace and Blessings,

I don't know if you know, but we have a Black Weight Loss Forum, though sparce it does have a few threads in it.

I even hosted a Healthy Living / Weight Loss Class last year, prior to my Sister being stabbed and stuff, and have not been able to pick it back up yet.

This is a great topic, and we can never have too many encouraging threads on it! :toast:

I am an emotional eater too, and am no great lover of exercise, though I've found it's very effective when it comes to weight loss and healthy living.

We probably have lots of reasons why we don't eat and exercise properly, but if we can muster the determination to do it, the rewards can be great.

Thanks for Sharing!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee