Black Women : Black Women Warriors

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by NNQueen, Feb 15, 2004.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    "The idea and imagery of a communion of Black women is familiar to me. In my own life I can still recall my mother's circle of friends--all of them domestic workers--sitting around our kitchen table listening to and supporting one another as they dealt with the struggles of cleaning White Women's homes. They provided emotional support for one another and financial support as well. If one of the women was too sick to work, another would cover for her, making sure she didn't lose her job.

These days I've grown increasingly worried about the images of Black women that are being spoon-fed to our daughters by "trash TV." To watch Jerry Springer or Ricki Lake is to watch Black women cussing at and humiliating each other. The notion of beating up on another Black woman as some pretense to strength is the lie that our daughters are being told day after day. Our daughters must learn the real truth, the other stories.

It is our responsibility to teach them that we come from women who have a legacy of standing up, of speaking out and fighting back--not against one another but against injustice and ignorance. They must know that we also come from a legacy of holding other sisters up; that at the end of the day, the person who will be their anchor will most likely look like them. She'll be another Black woman."

:bowdown:

[Source: http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m1264/8_33/95107395/p1/article.jhtml]

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    right on...

I feel every word you're saying...I have witnessed six, seven, eight year olds watching "Jerry Springer, Ricki Lake, Murray and several more...with their Mothers. It troubles me to see that I have an eight year old daughter and until this day...she has never seen that kind of trash on what I call "the dumb box" (t.v.) She has never (to my knowledge) watch music (rap) video's. they are far to degrading (to me). It's about who has the biggest @**, who can shake it the hardest., who can out-do who...and it goes on and on. Where is the beauty in that? Where is the strong black womon in that? so many babies are having babies today until one tries to outshine the other (mother and daughter) it's so so sad. We home school our daughter for several reasons, and before she learn "his-story...I want her to learn "OURS" and how the black man and woman (our ancestors) were royal 'QUEENS AND KINGS' of ROYALITY. I felt/feel that it's very inportant that Royality in black Queen will never die. Yes we as woman need to apply more to our seeds...they are the FUTURE.
    sure hope I didn't stray from the topic. :spinn:

3. AfroBoricuaRoni

AfroBoricuaRoni Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    mm hmm des right

When it all boils down to it we must be there for our brother and sisters, young and old, light and dark, tall and short, we are all one unit fighting for the same cause, fighting for the same struggle.

I am my sisters keeper and my brothers keeper. If that's one thing I've been taught in my short life, it's that family has got to stay strong. Even though most fell off, the few that stayed are the ones who taught me right so that I can teach my children and the rest of the world who may have never been taught. Not so much sitting down and telling them but showing them.

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting and true Queen.
    I think that We have gotten away from that. It was my sisters who provided the lighted way for me. My brothers were good; but it was my sisters who were the best.
    I was only 4 or 5 when my sisters started buying me my very own books to read. I have never forgotten thes huge coloring books she sent me when she went away to do her teaching internship after college. When she got back we read and talked about Cinderella... in midst the talk she explained to me that the book was a fairytale; it was not real; and that I should never ever wait for anyone to save me; that I was quite capable of doing it for myself... there were no Knights in Shining Armor...
    They gave me carte blanche to stand up for myself and what I believed in; meaning when I was in school and I didn't like something, I spoke out, and if I got in trouble for doing so (which did happen from time to time); they had my back in the fire I would face from Our mother. (Ironically, my father would listen to my side, and agree with my stance, and except it as me standing up.)
    I love Black Women; esp. Older Black Women. If you want to know strength that is where it is at. Talk and listen; there is wisdom there.

As I have stated before. Yes, I agree that We have to instill "pride" and "self-respect" in many of Our Women and Girls... pregnancy and single parenthood...can be and sometimes are stop gates to Our progress (some quit school, some give up, etc...); But, I'll be damned if I would call this JOB that so many women do and do well; and Black women have done since the beginnings of time.... a negative...they are the TRUE WARRIORS-- those of Us who can sit back and judge, don't know Shyte. I won't even go on, because it is starting to infuriate me; instead of feeding into the b.s. do some real research on the welfare system; on African-American female educational attainment; entreprenureal attainment, on the number of Black Female CEO's who outnumber Black Males...etc... That commercial about a woman bring home the bacon and cooking it---epitomizes Black American Females...

Yes, We need a circle. I agree with that; but what kind of circle can We have if We come with Our minds diluted and all We do in turn is pollute the air?

Start a Circle, I would join.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Attention

DELETED - SEE ME FOR INPUT

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

This was a beautiful post!

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well said!

A Circle is just what so many of our sisters and young ones need!