Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Black Women Stand on NY Street and Allow Strangers to Touch Their Hair

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by MsInterpret, Jun 7, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Black Women Stand on NY Street and Allow Strangers to Touch Their Hair as Part of Social Experiment

by Black Girl With Long HairJune 7, 2013

[​IMG]

As part of a social experiment a group of black women — one natural, one loc’ed and on relaxed — stood on a street corner in New York holding signs saying “You Can Touch My Hair”. The experiment/exhibit is the brainchild of Antonia Opiah, a hair blogger. In an article for The Huffington Post she states;
    Black hair is unique. It requires different care techniques and routines. And in a country where we primarily see commercials for white hair products and magazines that mainly cover white beauty topics and TV shows that mainly feature white characters, we, and those curious about us, have to find information about our hair from other sources.
    It’s easy to cite the media as the cause for underexposure to the various cultures of America. The media definitely plays a huge role. But another factor is the lack of the right kind of curiosity across the American population.
    The exhibit ran today and will run again on June 8th from 2 to 4 p.m. in New York City’s Union Square.
    Source: http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/06/black-women-stand-on-ny-street-and-allow-strangers-to-touch-their-hair-as-part-of-social-experiment/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Bglhonlinecom+%28bglhonline.com%29

• Like Like x 4
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    IMO these ladies have mental issues….

3. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    The only one who can touch my hair is me and my man....

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I read this and immediately thought of the crown or spiritual chakra. People can leave all kinds of negative energy on you when they touch you. That energy can drain you and cause all types of problems for you if you're not careful. Protect your sacred space. I would not do what these women are doing, experiment or not. I could care less what America or anyone not like us thinks or how curious they are about Black women's hair.

• Like Like x 7
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  5. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Maybe if they become Muslim that mite be a cure!:SuN008:

6. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Some of this generation is so void of a knowledge of self, they will not be able to prevent re-enslavement in the next 75 years!

7. Jaya Makara

Jaya Makara Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +136
    The idea of this is texture and the strength of the black hair. However anyone touches my antenna I will burn them. Better not touch my hair....

• Like Like x 4
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Beautiful Women though. If I had the means, I'd probably travel up there just to touch them--and the traces left by the 4,000 other people who did.

Pretty stupid. 'Course I never did feel straightened hair. And since when was locs not natural?

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Did anyone notice that almost all the people touching the sistahs' hair were BLACK!? :lol:

I mean, really! Is this ridiculous or what? And that stupid OP. Darn near EVERY hair product out there is nappy-kinky- INCLUSIVE! I can't think of one hair product advertised on TV that is for white people ONLY.

10. Adisa Hendrix

Adisa Hendrix Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +42
    This is a very interesting demonstration.

Unfortunately, it's not going to change the ongoing discrimination we put upon ourselves because our hair doesn't fit the white man's standards.

Also, to achieve the dreds or the straightened hair, you have to pay money.

I myself prefer the girl with the bush. My hair is smaller and kinkier though...

If I'm out in public I wear a hat and a wig, or just a hat. I also like turbans.

The only people I can allow to touch my hair are my kids or my husband.