Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Black Women Share Their Hair Stories

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by IFE, Apr 26, 2017.

1. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +899
    This High School's Ban on Natural Hairstyles Is Sparking Outrage

IMG_2819.JPG
    A Louisville, Kentucky, high school is under fire after the parent of an incoming sophomore posted pages from the school's new dress code, which bans three of the most popular styles for women with natural hair. Attica Scott, whose daughter attends Butler Traditional High School, posted the photos on her Twitter account:

The first lines of the "Hair/Personal Grooming" section read as follows:
    Hair styles that are extreme, distracting, or attention-getting will not be permitted. No dreadlocks, cornrolls, twists, mohawks, and no jewelry will be worn in hair.

1. School Bans Natural Hairstyles for Girls and Parents Aren't Happy
      http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/bea...gh-school-dress-code-bans-natural-hairstyles/ - 138k - Cached - Similar pages

2. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +899

3. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,283
    Wow.. These stories are proof that we as a people have not progressed in the way some would have you believe. It's like one step forward and two steps back. I wonder if it is a regional issue. I don't think I have been discriminated in the workplace because of my hair. But, maybe I have. Maybe I have missed out on job opportunities because of my hair and didn't even know it. But, since I've never had a problem finding work, I assumed my hair wasn't a problem. And, no one has ever made any negative comments about my hair in the workplace. And, I've been dreaded a long time.

Now, there is no denying that stupid people have said stupid things in my personal life, though. And, many times it has been AA women who have given me a hard time....LOL I laugh because a few of the women who used to turn their noses up at my dreads, wear dreads now....people are funny like that sometimes.

4. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,283
    My story....

I was out of town and my new growth needed tightening up. At the time there weren't a lot of people wearing dreads. I looked through the Yellow Pages and started calling AA salons. I finally found a salon that had a "loctition"

At my appointment my "loctition" washed my hair and conditioned it. Then she twisted my seat away from the mirror and started twisting my locs. That didn't bother me, because a lot of hairdressers do that for some reason. After about an hour, I'm thinking she must be almost done. She says, "I can't make it stay!"
    I say, "What do you mean?" She asks me, "How do you make it stay?" I turn around and look in the mirror and my hair is a hot mess! Turns out this woman had no idea how to loc dreads. She had lied! She had never done dreadlocks, and had no idea what to do. Girl, I was so mad when I stormed outta there.

*smh*

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +899
    I agree. How far have we come when Black women's hair is a political, racist and economic issue. Whites have been trying to tame our hair, that defys gravity, since enslavement. And it continues today.

6. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +899
    I've had a similar experience. Some stylist say they do natural hair and they don't gave a clue about locs.

7. Liberty

Liberty Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,283
    My black hair: a tangled story of race and politics in America
    upload_2017-5-6_16-59-42.png

If you are a Black woman, hair is serious business. Your hair is considered by many the definitive statement about who you are, who you think you are, and who you want to be. Long, thick, straight hair has for generations been considered a down payment on the American Dream. “Nappy” hair, although now accepted in its myriad forms, from the natural to twists and locks, has long been and remains a kind of bounced check on the acquisition of benefits of that same enduring cultural mythology. Like everything else about Black folk, Black people’s—and especially Black women’s—hair is knotted and gnarled by issues of race, politics, history, and pride.

Read more

https://qz.com/432098/my-black-hair-a-tangled-story-of-race-and-politics-in-america/

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  8. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +899

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +899