Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Black Women Share Their Hair Stories

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by IFE, Apr 26, 2017.

1. IFE

IFE going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    These black students struggled with beauty standards, so their teacher wrote a song

IMG_4213.JPG

For students, messages about their blackness were everywhere.

Seventh-grader Tamirah Brown opens Snapchat and sees videos from “team dark skin.” Classmate Mariama Kaikai’s aunt once regularly used skin-bleaching creams.

And Michayia Howard, whose mother affectionately calls the 14-year-old “chocolate drop,” recently heard a classmate at Helen Y. Davis Leadership Academy in Dorchester say: “I don’t like dark skins or brown skins. . . . I would only choose white skins.”

The girls’ teacher, Lovely Hoffman, watched female students internalize these messages. She saw skin color, hair texture, and facial features influence her students’ sense of self. So she decided to act by writing “My Black is Beautiful,” a song that explores stereotypes and idealized beauty standards.

2. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4238.JPG

3. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4235.JPG

4. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4252.JPG

5. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4239.JPG

6. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4236.JPG

7. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4244.JPG

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  8. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    The Hatred of Black Hair Goes Beyond Ignorance

IMG_4253.JPG

Like many young black girls who were subjected to the subliminal messaging that taught us we should envy our white peers’ silky straight locks, I grew up having a love-hate relationship with my natural hair.

By the age of five, I was already well accustomed to being sat down in a chair next to the stove and having my thick locks raked and “pressed” with a straightening comb. I remember how anxious I felt as my cousin pressed down hard on my roots, knowing full well that one tiny slip of her hand could lead to a permanent burn mark on my face, ear or neck.

In high school, I began using chemical products that guaranteed to relax my roots and give me the flowing, shiny hair that rivaled the white women I saw in glamorous shampoo ads. But when I started college, I faced a whole new set of pressures: I joined black student organizations where chemically processed hair was seen as a throwback to the era of white suppression. In order to be a card-carrying progressive, you had to embrace your natural hair.

Black Hair Discrimination Can Harm Black Women and Men - Motto

http://motto.time.com/4909898/black-hair-discrimination-ignorance/ - 127k - Cached - Similar pages

The Hatred of Black Hair Goes Beyond Ignorance

Policing young black girls — and their hair — can have detrimental consequences
    motto.time.com

Aug 23, 2017 ... Like many young black girls who were subjected to the subliminal messaging that taught us we should envy our white peers' silky straight locks ...

9. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    Professors Wage War On School Policies That Discriminate Against Natural Black Hair

As the natural hair movement continues to grow with black women and girls embracing their coils, so has the policing of black hair. Natural hairstyles such as Afros, twists, braids and locs have been barred from schools and work places.

There have been several instances in the last few years where school girls were suspended and punished for wearing their hair in braids or an Afro, and women were fired and scrutinized for not taming their textured crowns.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  10. IFE

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,180
    Taraji P. Henson's Take on Embracing Natural Hair Is Totally Refreshing

Taraji made a point to emphasize that black women should wear their hair however they want—weaves, wigs, natural, whatever suits your personal fancy—but that they should strive to love their natural hair, regardless of style. She also opened up about how she's still working to undo the damage that occurs when specific beauty standards are internalized, telling HuffPo: “[Black women] have shame when it comes to our hair. What we’ve been told, ‘Your hair is nappy.’ It’s not nappy, it’s curly. That’s a curl, that’s a coil. That’s energy leading up and I was like, we need to convey that message because I see a lot of girls, natural, is it for fashion or do you really understand what that is? It is a crown that God gave you. Our hair defies gravity without any products. Do you know how powerful that is? That’s powerful.”

1. Taraji P. Henson's Take on Embracing Natural Hair Is Totally ...
      https://www.glamour.com/story/taraji-p-henson-natural-hair - 179k - Cached - Similar pages

Everyone Should Read Taraji P. Henson's Powerful Message About Natural Hair

"Our hair defies gravity without any products. Do you know how powerful that is? That’s powerful."
      glamour.com

Aug 25, 2017 ... All this summer, Taraji P. Henson has been inviting us to join her on her natural hair journey. From posting photos of her newly cropped—and ...
    IMG_3053.JPG

IMG_3054.JPG