Black Women : Black Women Get Good News About Unemployment Again

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Amnat77, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Black women have reason to celebrate amid the dismal employment numbers. In June, the black female unemployment rate dropped for the second straight month, from 12.4 percent to 11.8 percent. This is, once again, the largest unemployment drop among any ethnic or gender group in America.

Black men, on the other hand, have almost nothing to celebrate about this month's data. The unemployment rate for African American males jumped again, from 17.1 percent to 17.4 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

White Americans saw their unemployment rate rise slightly, from 8.8 to 8.9 percent, a significantly lower rate than black female unemployment and about half the unemployment rate for African American males.

http://www.bvonmoney.com/2010/07/04/black-women-get-good-news-about-unemployment-again/

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    No matter the numbers it still affects us all as a whole , there is nothing
    to celebrate until we all rise above the jobless water to dry land Jobs.

3. lutherbarack

lutherbarack Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Yea I dont understand the concept of celebrating because one group suffers less than the next group suffering :10500:

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I just think we need to stop looking at problems / issues and things that divide us
    from a whole because no matter who seem to come up if we all don't be uplifted
    then we failed and still feel the affects of it .....

HARDSHIP & POVERTY is deeper then we see on the surface.

5. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Because women serve as head household in most African American families, so the way I see it, if black women are employed their children will not starve.

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    It's a big step forward but not all families headed by women so the celebration is only half of
    happiness and hope out the economy struggle we facing , let's not tip our hats until we all
    can see light and breathe air there is a lot of men who is the head
    and now out of work / unemployment done run out and the situation is critical.

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    And if Black men are not employed they will not be able to take thee place as the head of households so the single working mother, the latch key kids, teens struggling towards adulthood without the benefit of a father will continue to be a reality for many of us. No this is not something to celebrate.

My thinking is this whole emphasis on unemployment distracts us from pursuing economic independence. We are trying so hard to get a job working for smaddy else in a failing system when that energy could be used to create our own businesses and jobs for our youth. The media keeps us so focused on not having traditional jobs that we don't think outside the box which is what we need to do right now.

8. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

I don't understand. I do not have children. If I did however, and i lost my job, i would think getting a job (even if it is at McDonald's, which i suspect is what many black women are doing, accepting low paying jobs to feed their kids) would be my priority,rather than worrying about if my partner/husband/baby daddy or whatever or the any other black men are employed.

When I am feed and my kids are feed then i can turn to making my community better.

''when my life gets better, your life get better'' (Yoruba proverb)

9. Amnat77

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    And let is not forget, African women were/are the back bone of the economy in Africa. We still are in many ways, we rule the market literally and figuratively, so this news is not surprising.

10. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    I totally agree. America is a sinking ship. A city should never rely on a corporation, the corporation should rely on the city. The media has us searching for jobs that are not there, taking out massive loans to go back to college or school, and literally we are fighting one another to work at a company that can care less about us, our family, community, and nation. We need to begin to use our creative thinking that is unique to Afrikans. What happened to our creativity? The media that's what happened. Lets all turn off the television, unite and find solutions to create jobs for our people, and economic strength in our communities.