Black Women : Black women embrace tech gadgets

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Zulile, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    They spend more time on computers and cell phones, are more likely to splurge on new devices.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/BIZ04/807300313

Five times as many black women -- 36%-- use cell phones for three or more hours a day compared to other women, according to research by Time Inc.'s Essence magazine. Black women also spend more extended time using iPods, computers, high-definition TVs and DVD players. The findings defy an image of technology consumers focused on young men, says Carmen Bryant, director of consumer research for the magazine.

Black women use technology to gain control over their lives, but also see it as a way to express style and personality, Bryant says.

The survey found 42% of black women report spending $100 to $499 or more on cell phones compared to 26% of other women. Black women also embrace new mobile technology, with 21% of them using cell phone Web browsers to make purchases compared to 8% of other women. That's in line with other findings about gadget mastery: nearly two-thirds of black women said they learn every feature of a new tech product.

Bryant said that helps explain why their cell phone use is so much higher, since they go beyond the calling or texting functions and use built-in Web browsers, cameras and digital organizers. Black women also are more likely to use the Web for product research, and they are more than twice as likely to use e-mail or instant messaging to share good deals with friends and family.

Overall, black women are savvy tech shoppers, Bryant said.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/BIZ04/807300313

Interesting!

2. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    Yup, and I notice that if we brothers

buy it for you all, You tend to love it!:D LOL! But for real, this only goes to dispel the devil white mans myth about Men being more tech saavy! SMH

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    um, does this include the vibrator?:qqb010:

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Think of the cell phone as a high tech drum. We like to communicate and the cell phone is just a more advanced tool for what we've been doing for millennium..

I remember the first time I had to remove the shell from my computer's tower. When I say all the red and white ribbons I just fell in love. We are creators as well as communicators and technology allows us to do both.

5. Nubian One

Nubian One Well-Known Member MEMBER

Fulltime Student & Sexual Health Educator
    Ratings:
    +11
    I grew up in a household with five older brothers, all of which today work for some of the top companies here in Philly and the surrounding area doing everything from engineering to programming,--etc, etc..

My friends call me a Techie Head.. Nothing like building a computer, designing websites, progamming software, and keeping fit on my wii, etc. I love love love technology...The contents on my coffeetable will also tell you..

Trust I stay on top of all the new emerging technology.. Everything must be top notch..

I can't help it.

Out of all the things I do with computers and various other technlogical items.. Nothing comes close to the cameras I use for my photography work..I have gadgets galore for those monsters..

6. Jahari Kavi

Jahari Kavi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self Development
    Ratings:
    +523
    I love technology as much as the next person, but I must say that I can think of numerous situations where I've wanted to talk to a sister when passing her in the street, but can't because she's on her cell phone, lol................A lot of brothers share these same sentiments.....So next time you're on the cell, make sure to check if "potential mate" material is around first...........