Black People : Black women eating chalk???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I have been watching some shows about strange things that people like to eat and one that I have noticed a more than one occasion is that I see a lot of black women eating chalk...

Seen most often in African American women, the habit usually begins in childhood or during pregnancy, when the female is introduced to the practice by other family members. Sometimes, the women stop after childbirth, but more often, the habit continues. The ingestion of chalk is rarely seen in men or non-African Americans.
    Source: http://www.gainformer.com/files/Chalk Eating Common In Piedmont Arear.htm

Do you know of anyone who eats chalk?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow...what they think it's a candy cane or something this can't be health for no woman
    who is about to bare child !
    No, I don't no not one person who did this but know lots of them who eat starch

3. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I have to say I think it is bizarre, but, if you think about it kids do it all the time. I remember putting coins in my mouth and ***** willow buds (both of which freaked my mom out and she had to remove the objects from my mouth via tweezers.) I think for kids, mouthing things is a normal way of exploring the world, but eating odd substances such as chalk is just beyond me.

Pica (pronounced /ˈpaɪkə/ PYE-kə) is a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g. metal [coins, etc.], clay, coal, soil, feces, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum, etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g. flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt).[1] In order for these actions to be considered pica, they must persist for more than one month at an age where eating such objects is considered developmentally inappropriate. The condition's name comes from the Latin word for magpie, a bird that is reputed to eat almost anything.[2][3] Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women, small children, and those with developmental disabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)

4. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Wow...feces...hmmmmmmm

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :geek:i had some cabbage the other night that tasted like chalk.

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Oh how lovely...my bf just now told me he used to eat Comet or at least lick the top of the Comet container as a child

7. Light

Light Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128

I made a comment in a post a few monthz ago stating that " I come from those that eat red clay"

In history in the past African women used to eat red clay for the iron content which makes the clay red....

It is a natural instinct to eat anything natural... our bodies can handle it...

i.e. "gall bladder"

Once we decided as a species to settle into specific foods we lost parts of us that we needed to break down the different components...

Basically a human can eat anything just as other animals eat, it just takes time...

I would rather eat red clay than a Mcdonalds hamburger ....

Did you know that they inject the hamburgers with the animals left over fat and blood to keep the color of the hamburger longer....

That is the reason why they can last so long remember recently they explained that a Mcdonalds hamburger can last for six months or so ....

8. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Eating chalk is a symptom of magnesium deficiency.:fyi:

9. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    my grammy says they ate chalk and sand because it tasted good and they craved it

10. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think it was okay for them to eat things such as red clay and chalk back then but nowadays that seems unsafe and unhealthy. If they have a nutritional deficiency there are supplements that come in neat little pills. Much safer than eating raw chalk or red clay.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. people who eat chalk

2. eating chalk

3. why do black people eat strange things

4. why do black people eat chalk?,
  5. eating black chalk,
  6. Black females pica syndrome ,
  7. person who likes eating chalk,
  8. eatingchalk