Black Women : Black Women Conflicted Over Women’s March

So my sister, I say once again, if this is what you believe and that you can place very little faith in others to stand by you, then build your own with those who share the same aspirations and convictions. Then it belongs to you and those who assisted you in building it..You seem as though you are an extremely intelligent and confident sister, so what are you waiting for? That's the wider picture! The only good the past serves is a reminder of what not to do in the future.

Al, sisters are on this, and have been for the most part for a good while. Of course they are not getting media coverage from the main stream.

If you are interested, research "Womanism" In my opinion, which I think coincides with many AA women, AA MEN are NOT our enemy. I see a few wayward, misogynistic, gangster rappers, but generally AA men are not nearly as chauvinistic as WM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Feminist Theory Dictionary

Womanism

“Womanist is to feminist as purple is to lavender” -Alice Walker

Womanism is a feminist term coined by Alice Walker. It is a reaction to the realization that “feminism” does not encompass the perspectives Black women. It is a feminism that is “stronger in color”, nearly identical to “Black Feminism”. However, Womanism does not need to be prefaced by the word “Black”, the word automatically concerns black women. A Womanist is a woman who loves women and appreciates women’s culture and power as something that is incorporated into the world as a whole. Womanism addresses the racist and classist aspects of white feminism and actively opposes separatist ideologies. It includes the word “man”, recognizing that Black men are an integral part of Black women’s lives as their children, lovers, and family members.

Read more

https://afeministtheorydictionary.wordpress.com/2007/07/17/womanism/

Sister, I mean no disrespect to womanism or feminism but they are both words with definitions contrived to represent a certain perspective. I challenge the woman to step outside of the definition and to emote what churns inside of her that needs to be felt and truly defines or represents who and what she is...That to me is her true essence because that is who she really is...Others may feel differently...So I guess the question is, how do we get your voices heard because I believe that the future of our people relies heavily on the Black woman...She is the Matriarch and the backbone! I am with you..

Historically WW have always stabbed black people in the back to further their own purposes. Sisters would do well to get an iron clad contract 1st. There would be no feminist movement were it not for Fredrick Douglas. Yet, she cut a deal with southern WW for suffrage. This brought about the worst ravages of 'Jim Crow'.

Sister, I mean no disrespect to womanism or feminism but they are both words with definitions contrived to represent a certain perspective. I challenge the woman to step outside of the definition and to emote what churns inside of her that needs to be felt and truly defines or represents who and what she is...That to me is her true essence because that is who she really is...Others may feel differently...So I guess the question is, how do we get your voices heard because I believe that the future of our people relies heavily on the Black woman...She is the Matriarch and the backbone! I am with you..

Being an AA man, you could easily miss the Womanist Movement, unless you are an avid reader. I stumbled upon these women in the books I read, the stories, lessons they tell, etc. I am sure you have heard of Alice Walker, Audre Lorde, bell hooks, etc. There are many more. To answer your question? Most of these women are writers, many of them Pulitzer Prize Winning Writers. There messages are spread in their literature.

I am not interested in what has been written. I am interested in what can and will be done to effect a change and garner the respect and appreciation of your generation and generations to follow. The written word is nothing more than the perceptions and perspectives of the authors. Not taking anything away from them or their words but how do you move forward sister Liberty?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back