Black Women : Black women are under attack

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by NNQueen, May 2, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
  2. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    SMH.....

Sad, but true, Sister NNQueen. First and foremost I feel THE BLACK FAMILY IS UNDER ATTACK. Since we, BW, head 80% of Black families singlehandedly, the pressure will be on us. Include the fact that racists are downright afraid to confront Black men.....thus they go after the women and children, whomever they deem as the hardest shell to crack....Case In Point:

My man was walking to pick up our daughter from school Monday afternoon. He noticed a man in our neighborhood peeking out a window at him. He thought nothing of it. After he picks child up, they walk back in the same direction heading home. Suddenly a woman and her daughter from the same house stopped my man and daughter in their tracks and literally pulls our child to the side and asks her: "Do you know this mans name you're walking with?" Our daughter answers "Yes". At this point my man is speechless and tells them to mind their own business. Before he got a chance to walk away, they ask her: "Did this man abduct you? Is this your dad?" Child answers: "He's my dad, what does abduct mean?". At this point my man is bleeding out the ears, and wants to cuss them out, but remains sane. So he rushes off toward home with daughter. All the while they're yelling: "You know anybody can say they're a childs father, besides you look too young to be her father, and you two don't even look alike!!". Oh and the big one......"I'm callin the sheriffs!!"

Most people would just assume these folks were concerned neighbors, but I suspect a more sinister motive behind that incident. Nevermind the fact that sometimes we BOTH walk her to school, they've seen her walking with him to and from school, and seen me walking her to and from school alone. There were no Amber Alerts for a missing Black girl. Just out of the blue confronted him/her. Too much time on ones hands. I couldn't imagine the unnecessary drama that could've possibly unfolded, had they called the police. What do you all think of a situation like this? What would you all have done? Would you all have been offended? I just about lost my mind when they returned home and told me!! :madd:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    The black family in America is fighting a losing battle to survive, and every facet of the community is suffering as a result. One of our first major tasks is to remove the perception and acceptance in the community that having a father in the home is the exception rather than the rule. The black father is the protector of his daughters, without his presence, of course black women would be under attack. There is only one way to restore the natural order of the black family (which is to have a mother and father in the home), and that is changing our behavior. Although this isn't a popular view, the African American community needs to stop having children out of wedlock. Sex buddies, Casual sex partners, and booty calls don't generate loving or responsible parents. People in the African American community have to seek to become husbands and wives before they seek to be baby mommas & baby daddies. There is no shortcut around this.

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Ok, I understand your stance on marriage and all, you have exhausted your viewpoint, but what do you feel about the situation I presented in BLUE? Surely those nosy neighbors didn't see a weak family when they looked at the three of us. They didn't know if we were single baby mommas and baby daddies! Perhaps they saw a young Black couple they couldn't find anything wrong with, jealousy took over.....and you know how the story goes. We get those reactions all the time in public, but never has it come down to harrassment to that degree! SMH. As a matter of fact the STRONGER a Black family stands the more folks work to tear you down, I see the evil in their eyes all the time.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I responded to your statement that the black family is under attack and that 80% (which isn't accurate) of black families in America are headed by black women. There is a direct correlation to the black woman being under attack, and the destruction of the black family.

As far as my thoughts about what happened to your fiance and daughter? What am I suppose to think? You got some strange neighbors....might want to think about moving out of Cali!

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Sister Spicy, I'm not sure what to make of the incident you described. It's bizarre, to say the least. I do think though, that the media has people literally paranoid when it comes to Black people in general. To most, we are the epitome of a criminal element. The few that fulfill society's stereotype of Black people, somehow become the poster children for the entire Black population. And all of us are measured against a stereotypical rule in one way or another. If a Continental Black African came to America and never said a word and just walked up and down any street in America, they would eventually become a targeted victim of some sort, simply because of the color of their skin. It's crazy!

Yes, I agree...Black women...Black men...the Black family is under attack. And with all due respect to my fellow moderator, Brother Panafrica, I disagree though that the Black family is fighting a losing battle. I'm just never that pessimistic. As much as I understand the arguments from people pro-monogamous-marriage, and I certainly see value in that type of relationship, I just don't necessarily agree that it's the ONLY type of relationship that Black people can benefit from. Not at all. In fact, it might be that what we're witnessing is a paradigm shift such that Black people are redefining the institution of marriage. But that's a different topic and not one for this thread. Sorry, I digress.

But yes, the thought of what could have happened if those neighbors had called the police in on the situation would most likely have put your man in a weak position. And knowing how the cops are in Cali, it could have turned very ugly. Thankfully, it didn't. But certainly it leaves one to seriously ponder the vulnerability of us all, even in situations that we least expect to occur.

7. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Personally, I'm not sure why many never thought we were. Typically, a group takeover begins by directly physically attacking and subjugating the males of that group. It is then possible to attack (first physically then spiritually) the females; once you attack the first teachers/socializers of the group, you can pretty much guarantee that the future generations will VOLUNTEER to stay on the plantation....jmho. Unless we as Black women garner the courage to reevaluate our self worth in a world which consistently tries to strip us of it, then the attacks will, unfortunately, become more blatant and frequent. Anytime tolerance is promoted without limits, such will be the result.

8. SugarShark

SugarShark Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I met a black family who has 3 adopted white children. I can only imagine how much of that behavior they have to do endure

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    When the involvement of fathers in their children's lives becomes an exception rather than the rule, and the community where that social-behavioral trend takes place accepts it as normal....then that is indeed a losing battle to maintain the family structure. I never said that this trend could not be reversed, but doing so requires us to change our current behaviors and attitudes on family.

I never said that "monogamous marriages are the only solution to improving black relationships. Indeed I've endorsed polygamy on numerous occassion for those willing and financially able to go that route; although true polygamy is also both a marriage and committed relationship (between 3 or more people). Raising a family requires commitment beyond just someone's word, it requires some form of order and tradition. There are many on this forum who believe "marriage" is the white man's system; however, African tradition does not support that claim. I can't help but notice that those of us in the community who are anti-marriage seem to support the notion of every just "doing their own thing". That type of environment is not a healthy one to raise children in.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    What does this have to do with the topic at hand?