Black women and their health

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by NNQueen, Dec 24, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I used to belong to a local support group of Black women to help each other in addressing health issues. We met once a month in each other's homes. It was a nurturing group that was uplifting and therapeutic. For some reason I stopped going though. I got busy and put other things in front of it--that's not good. Now I'm thinking about starting a new group in my community. Some of you might find the information helpful to you too.

http://www.blackwomenshealth.org/site/PageServer

Peace.

2. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Great idea NNQ...and that is an excellent website...

3. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm also very concerned about black women's health issues. Over the years, I have been blessed to have good health insurance and always kept on top of annual exams, etc.

I find that some women do not keep on top of these exams. One of my sisters fall into that category and it angered me when I told her to get to the free clinics for exams (she didn't have insurance and the clinics would at least provide mammograms and pap tests). She now has serious problems after waiting for over 20 years to get checked.

Then again, some women are not educated enough. I constantly remind women to get those free exams (free is better than NOT having it at all).

Right now I have found a lump under my right breast through an exam a few days ago. You better believe I will get it checked.

Also, I read a lot. I discovered a procedure other than a hysterectomy called "uterine fibroid embolization" and after reading and consulting a physician, I had it done and it was a success!

Too many black women (and other women) submit to hysterectomies. I had the UFE and it's been a pleasure to have a menstrual period withouth the horrendous pain and bleeding!

If any woman who posts here (or anyone she knows) have problems with menstrual periods and the doctor offers no other alternative than hysterectomy, please do a web search on "uterine fibroids" and you will find a wealth of information.

My search led me to information about fibroids and procedures other than hysterectomy.

The first thing I did was to call the office of an interventional radiologist (a doctor who is qualified for the UFE procedure). I asked questions, such as how the procedure was done, hospital stay and recovery, and most importantly, if my insurance was acceptable.

My insurance was acceptable by the office, but I had to call the insurance company to see if they would pay for it. I was told that if I had experienced heavy bleeding and pain for a long time that they would cover me.

Next step was to get a referral from my gynecologist who recommended the same IR I spoke with. I had to have a MRI, and once the IR reviewed them, wait until he let me know if I qualified (NOT all women qualify for this procedure due to the location of the fibroids).

I qualified and made an appointment to see the IR (interventional radiologist). He spoke with me, answering all my questions and we set the date for the procedure immediately. It required an overnight stay in the hospital. The procedure involved an incision near the groin area (I was sedated but not under) and the particles which were injected in the artery would block the blood flow to the fibroids; hence, the fibroids would shrink).

I received immediate relief upon having the next menstrual period and only had to stay off from work for two weeks versus six for hysterectomy. I felt better in one week and was up and about.

I joined a support group online and met a woman from my state who I advised to see the same IR. She had it done and she had immediate relief also.

Now, this does not work for all women...about 80% of women, which made me willing to take the chance.

Sisters, we need to take care of ourselves. That's why I shared this with you. Hysterectomies are NOT necessary and too many of us are submitting to them needlessly.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent post!

Excellent post, vj57. The information you shared is very important for us to know. I hope your prognosis of the lump is nothing serious.

Peace!

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    NN and VJ

Peace my informative sistaz....

Things as simple as washing after sex, not wearing synthetic underwear, and making sure you BREAST FEED the children you bring into this world instead of letting the milk sit up an sour in your teats will go a long ways in preventing many of the common STD's and cancers found among our sistaz.