Black People : Black Women and Romance Novels

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nic, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Nic

Nic New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All,

My name's Nic and I'm new to the site.

I stopped in because I was hoping to get some help with an assignment from my journalism class (I'm a freshman in college) and I thought this would be the best place to start.

I need to put together a presentation about why black women read black romance novels. What is it about the stories that you enjoy and how (if at all) does it relate to race?

I mentioned the assignment to my mom and aunt and they had plenty to say so I thought I'd try posting this question on some sites and seeing what i come up with. I have my own thoughts but I wanna how other women-particularly some grown ones- felt about it.

Thanks for you help guys.
    Nic

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Nic ... Welcome ... :wave:

I don't read romance novels, but I'd imagine someone here does, and may help you out.

Good luck with the assignment.

:heart:

Destee

3. Nic

Nic New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the welcome destee.

i know alot of women read romance so i sure some will have something to say.

4. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    I dont

feel good so give me a list of specific questions and I'll respond. I dont want to do anything off the top of my head..

5. Nic

Nic New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding Linda

Basically what I want to know is: as a black woman what is it about black romance novels that appeals to you? Why do you like these books?

Is it the black man-woman relationships? Is it the way the characters are portrayed? Can you identify with any of the women in these novels? If so how?

I just want to know what attracted you (as a black woman) to these books and why you keep reading them.

Nic

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    For a long time, just as with everything else which portrays us, there were no BLACK Romance books available; and even though Black books are now popular, that market is still dominated with White-centered novels.

However, personally, I'm not attracted to them, never have been. If I ever read a romance novel, then I must be reeeeely bored! ---I may as well watch a LIFETIME movie. <shudder> lol

But, I do know there are Black women who read them. Obviously, somebody is buying them.

Now, it is human nature to either "fight or flee." So, we all participate in some form of "escape-ism." ----For me, I have what I call my "serious" reading and my "fluff" reading. So, when I wanna "flee," the "fluff" is my "escape-ism." It's purely for enjoyment. I'm not trying to be introspective or philosophical. I just wanna get lost in somebody else's world for a time.

And that's what I think the attraction is for many Black women who read Romance novels. It's "escape-ism."---I don't think MOST Black women are suffering from a "Cinderella Complex." I don't think MOST Black women who read such books are looking for some Black "Prince charming" to sweep them off their feet and "live happily ever after." --I don't think most Black women are in a dream world, comparing their real love lives to fiction romance novels.

IMO, single and married Black mothers, in particular, read romance novels as a "get-away."....A get-away from homework and cooking and dirty clothes and all the many never-finished work of their lives. And when they can find the time to actually read a book, that escape may be a romance novel whether they can actually RELATE to the characters in the book or not...Whether minimum-wage employees or professional, Black women read these books mainly for "escape-ism," even when they have a man in their lives.

For some people, their reading pleasures lie in the Sci-Fi, Fantasy or (for me) Mystery genres; and that's all I think it is.

It's just "different strokes for different folks."

Personally, I HATED the book and the movie "How Stella Got Her Groove Back." (And the REAL LIFE back-story just sealed my disgust.)
    But, I have friends who just loved it. :10500:

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +863
    All right.... I'll admit it.... My name is Bootzey and I read romance novels.

And I read the smutty trashy ones. I prefer historical smut vs. contemporary smut. I prefer novels that portray only 1 race of people. Because the introduction of multiple races will introduce racial problems and ruin the smut/romance for me. In the end, I like when the main couple has a happy ending... marriage, babies, etc. and everything is resolved.

8. Nic

Nic New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for responding

Bootzy- why do you choose to read books where black men and women are the main characters instead of mainstream novels featuring white characters?
    Does the fact that they are black have anything to do with it?

Cherryblossom- the same question goes to you. why do you feel black women read romance novels featuring black women instead of white?

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    For the same reason our little girls now have Black dolls to play with that look like them and not just a brown-skinned Barbie---

For the same reason we have Ebony, Essence and Jet---

For the same reason Black teenagers have Right On! magazine and Black Beat---

...because, for a very long time, those areas did not represent Black people, showcase us or give a voice to our interests. But, after the color-line was broken in Black Romance Novels, Black women picked up the banner and the baton and ran with it!

Before this happened, Black women read romance novels featuring White women but White women didn't read ones with Black women as the main character and, for years, the main school of thought amongst White Publishers was "Black women don't read." So, they didn't think they'd make any money marketing Black romance novels. ---But they found out that Black women DO read. We just wanted some books which reflected US.

10. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    It has the same affect on black women that it has on white ones, it turns your brains into cheese.

That's my "BIG" opinion!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. free romance books with black women

2. black people romance

3. romantic book black people