Black Women : Black Women and Menopause

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Destee, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

My Mother always shared every tiny bit of informaton with me, that might help me on this journey called life, but she passed away long before i ever thought to ask about menopause. Actually, this is the first and only "issue" that i have no words of wisdom to go by, from my Mother. So, i encourage you all, that still have your Mothers with you, to ask her about menopause (and anything else you can possibly think of). No sense in finding yourself like me, with no wisdom to lean on, from the one you trust more than any other.

Okay, now that i've got that emotional part out of the way! :)

I am 43 years old and wondering what menopause will be like. I understand that it's different for all women. I have had the opportunity to ask some of my aunts and cousins, and what stands out most, as a result of their responses ... is that my folk aint normal in any other way, so why should they be in this!?!!!

I mean, one aunt told me to just go ahead and get everything cut out, and avoid the whole dramatic process! One cousin said, "Chile, you started at 25, you are already in menopause!" ... :eeek: ... we have another cousin that has been acting real strange lately (for a few years), just being mean to everyone, giving no love to anyone (except her own children) and da Famblee be whisper'n ... "she goin thru menopause!" :lol:

As you can see, my Famblee might not be the ones to consult on this! :driveby:

I'm actually very honored to be able to say that Brother Alkebulan shared much detailed information with me regarding menopause, in voice chat recently. His assistance only stopped short of taking the experience from me, and making it his own! Thank You Brother Alkebulan. During this same discussion, Brother Keita shared the following web site with us, http://www.blackwomenshealth.com/menopause.htm, which shares considerations regarding this topic, that are specific to Black women. Thank You too Brother Keita.

This brings me right to where i wanna be. I want to know the "Black woman's menopausal experience." The link above says, "Menopause affects all women regardless of race or socioeconomic background. However, recent studies have shown that the experience of menopause is different among racial groups." Being Black alla my life, i've found that most experiences for us, are different than other racial groups, so i am really looking forward to information specific to me, a Black woman.

Sister Deepy mentioned that we should discuss this privately, and i have no problem with that. The thing is though, this private "Sisters Only" forum would be for Premium Members only. The work involved with making it happen, must be limited to those who have expressed a desire to help this community survive. As will all future "new additions" be.

I can create the private area in the "Premium Members Area" and give access to it, to those Sisters who are Premium Members. We can also do the same for the Brothers, if they want their own "Brothers Only Area." Unfortunately, since i have access to everything, i would be able to see what the Brothers say, and eventually, i'm sure there will be others that have this same access (Sisters and Brothers) and could read what is said in either forum. This is pretty standard, as someone has to be responsible ... and we have grown way past the point of me doing it all, me being the only one that has keys to the castle. We just have to have confidence that those we trust will respect the privacy found in these areas. Just some food for thought.

Looking forward to the discussion on menopause!

:heart:

Destee

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I'm looking forward to it also!

Queenie :coffee:

3. daroc

daroc Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +36
    seem like eva since grandma got on it- she been young again-never home no where to be found. im watin for my momma's chance so she can stop complainin about how someone cut her every month. and my aunt- well she had to get all her stuff removed a while ago- so she the nicest of them all.

oh, destee- y u wonderin- u kinda young- doesnt it come like laaaater for blk women?

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    African American Women and Menopause

Hot flashes: :flame:
    Headaches: :court:
    Vaginal dryness: :bomb:
    Irregular menstrual cycle: :deal:
    Mood changes: :nuts:

Queenie :spinstar:

5. Remby

Remby Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +37
    Destee,

I can speak to this because menopause kicked into full gear for me this October. You talk about your family, I'm from a family of females, there are five girls in my family and as you all know I have a twin sister. Like you my mother passed away too before this stage of my life. Of the 5 of us, 4 have had hyterectomies and let me tell you having a hyterrectomy does not stop menopause. In fact if a women has her overies removed, menopause kicks in right away. My twin sister and I, though not identical are having completly different experiences, me hot flashes, heart palpatations, she shorter periords and has turned incrediably mean. We actually had a arugment for the first time in entire life and she hung up on me, I cried like a baby. So yes its different for everyone. I think this is a wonderful thread and the information we can gain from one another would be inval uable, let do keep this. One more thing what keeps me from jumping into a river of ice water is taking Black Cohash, Soy and Vitmen E twice a day, believe me sisters it works!!!!
    :geek:

Remby

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Vaginal dryness?? EEEK!

7. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    I just want to point out that a lot of women who thought they were in the early stages of menopause had thyroid problems. Both my mother and sister had it (you know I'm going to the doctor, right?) and it started with that main menopause sign: hot flashes. When I find the site I'm looking for with more info on thyroid, I'll post it.

Toya

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    My mother died when I was young. So, I don't have her to ask about menopause. No aunts to ask. No grandmothers to ask.

I do have an older sister who has already gone thru it but she says she had no problems with it. No hot flashes or mood swings...It just stopped/went away.

True, every woman is different. All don't go thru the same symptoms just as with pregnancy and childbirth.

But, I gotta say that I'M LOOKIN' FORWARD TO IT!

I started when I was 11 y/o, and I'm ready to RETIRE from this job! lol

I just pray I don't go thru the horror stories I've heard from some women, though.

I've got some friends who say, for a while, their children and husbands were afraid of them and either ready to move out or to get rid of her! LOL!

9. mizjoice

mizjoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    .....and just when you have gotten used to the idea of menopause...guess what? there is also something called perimenopause.......oooooh, got my head spinning!

When I begun what I recognized to be menopause one of the first signs for me was crying at the drop of a hat.......for no known or earthly reason!

i was a hot(flash) mess......

10. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I had to had surgery a few years ago and they put me on Lupron to stop my periods. The side effect was it put me in temporary menopause. Hot Flashes was all I got. That is the correct name for it. And they come out of nowhere.

My mother was between 48-50 when she started the change. LOL you go from the curse to the change. And can I tell you? I wanted and tried to run away.