The Front Porch : Black Web Sites That Have Died

I don't know what the problem is or why I am just now finding this site. 17 years and I never came across it until the day I joined. I have searched over the years for black forums. Blackvisions was my last forum until I came across this one. CocoaLounge was one I used a few years back as well and I think it has closed as well. Once a site becomes more about clicques and not so much about the thread, I tend to lose interest. I really enjoy message boards and reading how others think. It's educational.

Welcome Again!!! ... :wave:

I'm glad you found us ... in time for our 18th Birthday Celebration!!! ... :birthday:

CocoaLounge is still alive and well ... http://www.cocoalounge.org/ ... thank goodness! The Sister that started that forum has posted here on destee if no mistake, and I think I am a Member there too. It's been some years ago so I hope I'm remembering right ... :)

Blackvisions is alive and well too ... http://www.blackvisions.org/ ... I don't believe I've been there before.

Thanks for sharing the sites!

I don't do cliques ... evidenced by ... everyone is welcome here.

Me too @ discussions ... :research: ... i love, love, love, hearing, reading, and being around us! :love:

Thanks again for joining us, sharing with us, and helping us stay alive! ... :flowers:

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Hello Family,

I've been out here on the Internet a long time (in cyber years), so i've seen quite a few Black web sites, that had great hopes and intentions ... die.

It's always disheartening to learn of another that is no longer servicing us. We are unique and have specific needs that not every single web site / community can serve. I believe we are better served by those who know and love us, and it's a loss to the entire Black Internet community, when one that is doing that, must close their doors.

What made me post this thread today was the fact that i was surfing the Internet and saw where Black Geeks is no longer online. They use to be at www.blackgeeks.net. It was a networking community site founded by a Sister. While i was a Member, i didn't get too involved on a day to day basis. I had no idea that they were closed down. I know the number of years, heart, and effort she put into that and it's sad that they are no longer out here.

I read this article by / about her and Black Geeks that was written in 2001. She mentions the challenge of trying to stay true to her dream, while dealing with the every day financial needs of the effort. *sigh* ... i feel her pain.

Will we continually let online communities, services, efforts, built for us, dry up and die? Even with new ones coming behind, trying their hand at filling the void, they too will face the challenges that longetivity and growth bring with them (increased costs to maintain).

I guess reading that article kinda depressed me. I know that Sister's heart was sincere in trying to help our people. I know that she put many long hours, money, and hope into that service. I know it must have broke her heart to see it have to close. She said in the article that they had 25,000 registered Members, that was in 2001! A remarkable feat, yet quite ugly considering they had to close their doors. Where were all these "Members" when they were needed to help? Am i fooling myself to believe that our 5000 Members can keep this site alive, when less than 1% of them are willing to help, yet considerably more than that come and take part every day? Do i need to be preparing myself for when www.destee.com has a 4 sale sign on it? Gosh ...

This thread is to discuss and share the many Black web sites that are no longer in operation. If you know of any, please name them and their web site addresses.

I'll get the list / discussion started with, as already mentioned, www.blackgeeks.net. Also, another great Black site, a really big one, was www.netnoir.com. I'm not sure what happened to them, but their domain is no longer resolving.

It seems the "Black" sites that are doing well, are not "Black" at all. AOL recently purchased BlackVoices from the Chicago Tribune, and while it has always catered to Black folk, it has never been Black owned. The same with BlackPlanet, if no mistake, they are owned by an Asian Company. So these "Black" sites have benefit of White money, and are able to stay alive. More like "Black" face, a way to capture the Black Internet market, without being Black.

But the sites that are Black, struggle to stay alive.

Let me stop.

Please Family, share the Black sites that were Black owned, that are no longer with us, give addresses please. Maybe we crossed paths on one of those sites!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

I was thinkin. There are some critical brothers and sisters languishing on the Lipstickalley.com plantation. Anybody who steadfastly starts threads of interest to Blacks is WAIVED. iT.S LIKE THIS forum IS STAFFED BY THE kkk AND THEY HAVE bLACK WORKERS TOO. there are pinks who use a Black avatar to butt in on Black oriented discussions, to derail. I reckon, that if we are about unity, can someone discreetly let it be known to persons on lipstick, that we have a nice all Black, loving forum over here, and they can again ask egmond codfried questions. They have been discussing me over there, and pinks have been discussing me, to falsify my teachings, and explain to Black folks what I am about. Imagine. They blocked me, so I cannot defend myself. Lets invite the Lipstickalley brothers and sisters to have a full forum here.

I don't know what the problem is or why I am just now finding this site. 17 years and I never came across it until the day I joined. I have searched over the years for black forums. Blackvisions was my last forum until I came across this one. CocoaLounge was one I used a few years back as well and I think it has closed as well. Once a site becomes more about clicques and not so much about the thread, I tend to lose interest. I really enjoy message boards and reading how others think. It's educational.

I am amazed how a godsent as the internet that can help us to start any mass action, is used to seperate us. You cannot get hold of a person who responded to you or something. And why the hell always fake names. Are you a criminal if you have an opinion? Besides, the only true enemy is the racist, predatory state, and they know who is sitting behind any computer. My google account comes into view withouit me asking because the computer senses my phone, and google is alerted.

I was thinkin. There are some critical brothers and sisters languishing on the Lipstickalley.com plantation. Anybody who steadfastly starts threads of interest to Blacks is WAIVED. iT.S LIKE THIS forum IS STAFFED BY THE kkk AND THEY HAVE bLACK WORKERS TOO. there are pinks who use a Black avatar to butt in on Black oriented discussions, to derail. I reckon, that if we are about unity, can someone discreetly let it be known to persons on lipstick, that we have a nice all Black, loving forum over here, and they can again ask egmond codfried questions. They have been discussing me over there, and pinks have been discussing me, to falsify my teachings, and explain to Black folks what I am about. Imagine. They blocked me, so I cannot defend myself. Lets invite the Lipstickalley brothers and sisters to have a full forum here.

You 'bout to be put out of here the way you care carrying on.

I think i've banned you before ... but i can't rightly remember.

Don't come here talking about other forums / sites ... your gripe with them aint ours.

If you don't like the way anything is run ... start your own and run it the way you want.

Don't make me any krazier than i already am.

Thanks.

Destee

You 'bout to be put out of here the way you care carrying on.

I think i've banned you before ... but i can't rightly remember.

Don't come here talking about other forums / sites ... your gripe with them aint ours.

If you don't like the way anything is run ... start your own and run it the way you want.

Don't make me any krazier than i already am.

Thanks.

Destee

Amazing your hateful tone of voice. I have suggested we join forces and invite others over to discuss freely what seems to be forbidden at lipstickalley.com plantation. You take offence at this and treaten to ban me again? Thank god I have other channels to speak to folks, so you are not hurting me in the least...I imagine folks on cocaine are very agressive and can be triggered by anything, just anything their victim says. A killer on cocaine will explain to the court his victim gave him a dirty look or so...So, it seems you are going to use your nice shotgun on me, by me not paying you money, or what? Such a loving and warm atmosphere here, isnt it?

So you and Cherryblossom, a pink flower, are the same person, because it was she who banned me, mocking my spending time at the library for research, while I probably should have been out selling coke and pimping?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back