The Front Porch : Black Web Sites That Have Died

so true Khasm .......
so we ask that everyone support the cause and hard effort
become a PREMIUM MEMBER at DESTEE.COM and keep what
we have alive so we don't be added to the long list of black sites .

Hi Destee,

Yes, it is disheartening.

I have been running a Black site since 1999. And recently, money was a major problem. I have recently began to make a fair internet income. I hope to buy a popular site that is no longer working, and bring it back up.

Being in the business, money can be an issue. Many sites need a full time webmaster in order to make an income. So, if you can only do it part time, it hurts. You can't give the attention needed to the Net, if you have to worry about your day job.

kelvin

Destee said:
Hello Family,

I've been out here on the Internet a long time (in cyber years), so i've seen quite a few Black web sites, that had great hopes and intentions ... die.

It's always disheartening to learn of another that is no longer servicing us. We are unique and have specific needs that not every single web site / community can serve. I believe we are better served by those who know and love us, and it's a loss to the entire Black Internet community, when one that is doing that, must close their doors.

What made me post this thread today was the fact that i was surfing the Internet and saw where Black Geeks is no longer online. They use to be at www.blackgeeks.net. It was a networking community site founded by a Sister. While i was a Member, i didn't get too involved on a day to day basis. I had no idea that they were closed down. I know the number of years, heart, and effort she put into that and it's sad that they are no longer out here.

I read this article by / about her and Black Geeks that was written in 2001. She mentions the challenge of trying to stay true to her dream, while dealing with the every day financial needs of the effort. *sigh* ... i feel her pain.

Will we continually let online communities, services, efforts, built for us, dry up and die? Even with new ones coming behind, trying their hand at filling the void, they too will face the challenges that longetivity and growth bring with them (increased costs to maintain).

I guess reading that article kinda depressed me. I know that Sister's heart was sincere in trying to help our people. I know that she put many long hours, money, and hope into that service. I know it must have broke her heart to see it have to close. She said in the article that they had 25,000 registered Members, that was in 2001! A remarkable feat, yet quite ugly considering they had to close their doors. Where were all these "Members" when they were needed to help? Am i fooling myself to believe that our 5000 Members can keep this site alive, when less than 1% of them are willing to help, yet considerably more than that come and take part every day? Do i need to be preparing myself for when www.destee.com has a 4 sale sign on it? Gosh ...

This thread is to discuss and share the many Black web sites that are no longer in operation. If you know of any, please name them and their web site addresses.

I'll get the list / discussion started with, as already mentioned, www.blackgeeks.net. Also, another great Black site, a really big one, was www.netnoir.com. I'm not sure what happened to them, but their domain is no longer resolving.

It seems the "Black" sites that are doing well, are not "Black" at all. AOL recently purchased BlackVoices from the Chicago Tribune, and while it has always catered to Black folk, it has never been Black owned. The same with BlackPlanet, if no mistake, they are owned by an Asian Company. So these "Black" sites have benefit of White money, and are able to stay alive. More like "Black" face, a way to capture the Black Internet market, without being Black.

But the sites that are Black, struggle to stay alive.

Let me stop.

Please Family, share the Black sites that were Black owned, that are no longer with us, give addresses please. Maybe we crossed paths on one of those sites!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

how to contribute?

Destee said:
Hello Family,

I've been out here on the Internet a long time (in cyber years), so i've seen quite a few Black web sites, that had great hopes and intentions ... die.

It's always disheartening to learn of another that is no longer servicing us. We are unique and have specific needs that not every single web site / community can serve. I believe we are better served by those who know and love us, and it's a loss to the entire Black Internet community, when one that is doing that, must close their doors.

What made me post this thread today was the fact that i was surfing the Internet and saw where Black Geeks is no longer online. They use to be at www.blackgeeks.net. It was a networking community site founded by a Sister. While i was a Member, i didn't get too involved on a day to day basis. I had no idea that they were closed down. I know the number of years, heart, and effort she put into that and it's sad that they are no longer out here.

I read this article by / about her and Black Geeks that was written in 2001. She mentions the challenge of trying to stay true to her dream, while dealing with the every day financial needs of the effort. *sigh* ... i feel her pain.

Will we continually let online communities, services, efforts, built for us, dry up and die? Even with new ones coming behind, trying their hand at filling the void, they too will face the challenges that longetivity and growth bring with them (increased costs to maintain).

I guess reading that article kinda depressed me. I know that Sister's heart was sincere in trying to help our people. I know that she put many long hours, money, and hope into that service. I know it must have broke her heart to see it have to close. She said in the article that they had 25,000 registered Members, that was in 2001! A remarkable feat, yet quite ugly considering they had to close their doors. Where were all these "Members" when they were needed to help? Am i fooling myself to believe that our 5000 Members can keep this site alive, when less than 1% of them are willing to help, yet considerably more than that come and take part every day? Do i need to be preparing myself for when www.destee.com has a 4 sale sign on it? Gosh ...

This thread is to discuss and share the many Black web sites that are no longer in operation. If you know of any, please name them and their web site addresses.

I'll get the list / discussion started with, as already mentioned, www.blackgeeks.net. Also, another great Black site, a really big one, was www.netnoir.com. I'm not sure what happened to them, but their domain is no longer resolving.

It seems the "Black" sites that are doing well, are not "Black" at all. AOL recently purchased BlackVoices from the Chicago Tribune, and while it has always catered to Black folk, it has never been Black owned. The same with BlackPlanet, if no mistake, they are owned by an Asian Company. So these "Black" sites have benefit of White money, and are able to stay alive. More like "Black" face, a way to capture the Black Internet market, without being Black.

But the sites that are Black, struggle to stay alive.

Let me stop.

Please Family, share the Black sites that were Black owned, that are no longer with us, give addresses please. Maybe we crossed paths on one of those sites!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

Thanks to intuition, talking about how much money she got-how can I send a small contribution via snail mail? Can't use the card or using pay-pal-do you have a PO box? If I do contribute-the amount will be VERY small,but enough for a cup of coffee. Do not want premium status. Just helping out a business owner in a small way.

yaphet al-wynn said:
Thanks to intuition, talking about how much money she got-how can I send a small contribution via snail mail? Can't use the card or using pay-pal-do you have a PO box? If I do contribute-the amount will be VERY small,but enough for a cup of coffee. Do not want premium status. Just helping out a business owner in a small way.

Thank you Brother Yaphet Al-Wynn. Every little bit helps and i'm honored that you'd be willing to send any amount. You can send it to the following address:

Destee
P. O. Box 180512
Mobile, AL 36618

Be sure to include your forum name, so that i know it is from you.

Again, Thank You.

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back