Black Authors : Black Wall Street

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Zulile, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Black Wall Street: From Riot to Renaissance in Tulsa's Historic Greenwood District

"The date was June 1, 1921, when "Black Wall Street," the name fittingly given to one of the most affluent all-Black communities in America, was bombed from the air and burned to the ground by mobs of envious whites. In a period spanning fewer than 12 hours, a once thriving 36-Black business district in northern Tulsa lay smoldering--a model community destroyed, and a major African-American economic movement resoundingly defused.

The night's carnage left some 3,000 African Americans dead, and over 600 successful businesses lost. Among these were 21 churches, 21 restaurants, 30 grocery stores and two movie theaters, plus a hospital, a bank, a post office, libraries, schools, law offices, a half dozen private airplanes and even a bus system. As could have been expected the impetus behind it all was the infamous Ku Klux Klan, working in consort with ranking city officials, and many other sympathizers."

Has anyone read this book? If so, care to review?

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have not read the book, but I have saw the documentary about it, I am sure the book is just as powerful.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I have not read the book but I have one question. To your knowledge, does it mention anything about BLACK "Nightriders"?

I have family who were FOUNDERS of Boley, OK, some who later owned businesses in Tulsa and some of my family live in Tulsa to this day. In fact, I was speaking to a relative yesterday who informed me I was related to one of Boley's mayors.

There is much more to this than any book can detail.

4. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    No, I dont now if the book mentions Black Nightriders - I havent heard of the term before now..

I'm looking to expand my knowledge on some of the major events in American Black history, and came across this. Interesting/powerful event - I'm wondering if the book covers events/policies/politics leading up to the event, and the results thereafter - or if it focuses mainly on the horror itself, in which case, I'd unlikely purchase the book.