Black People : Black vs Unique

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Zulile, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Principal removes 'black' from student's senior yearbook page

NEW YORK — An issue with a student's yearbook page at Cuba-Rushford Central School, in Cuba, N.Y., is more than just black or white after her principal told her to change some words on the page.

"I just wrote my senior memories and turned them into the principal, and they wouldn't allow them to be put in the yearbook ... because I put the word 'black' in there," said senior Breanne Veney.

All students were required to turn their page into Principal Carrie Bold for review, and according to Veney's mother, Trina Rickard, Bold crossed out the word "black" from Veney's page and changed it to "unique."

"What is 'unique?'" Rickard said. "How does that measure up to black or white? Is my child different because she is black?"

Veney wrote "we're so black and everyone hates on us for it," "my white girlfriend," and "is it 'cause I'm black?" in her senior memories page, according to Rickard.

Anne Brungard, superintendent of the Cuba-Rushford School District, said the school asked Veney to "reword" her senior memories page after consulting with Christopher Trapp, legal counsel for the school.

Complete Article Here

Soooo in this great post-racial America with Obama at the helm, is the term Black to be deemed offensive in 2009? A new N-word? Are we all gonna be 'unique'? ;)

:heart:
    Zulile

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    where the heck is cuba, ny

oh near buffalo, so it figures they don't realize it's 2009 and we have a black president lol

3. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I read a comment on this article asking the same question - that Havana, Cuba has less censorship than Cuba, NY :lol:

madness, i tell you.. madness...

4. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    welcome

we have such arrogan...... i mean such brilliance here

lol

5. OnTyme

OnTyme Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    imagine being black.....and......unique.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I guess so but i know i have uniqueness in my blackness .....wow this a question that
    may not be answered are we unique or black ?

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    How is unique an expression of our heritage? Is there a country where the uniquans originated? Is uniquese taught as a language in any school? I propose we all move to africa and establish the Republic of Uniquia.

But I think and will from this day on start using the word African instead of Black unless I am quoting. Why because I don't want to hear someone who classifies themselves as white using the word white in the same way that we use the word Black. White truly is offensive because historically it has been accompanied by oppression, violence, humiliation and all that good stuff. But those who classify themselves as white will pretend that there is no historical perspective and find all kinds of inane ways to twist our victory to use it against us.

I would have no problem with someone speaking of Europe or themselves as European since that is where they come from so they should not be offended if I speak of Africa and myyself as an African. but if Justin Timbberlake put out a song "Say it loud I'm White and I'm proud" I would not be the only person to take offense.

It's about having a global perspoctive. We weren't Black until we encountered that which is white. What did our ancestors in ancient Kemet call themselves before they encountered whites? Why speak of themselves as the land of the Blacks if there were no whites? But we would be Africans if no white man ever existed.

I realize this is a red pill. Like re-examining the consumption of pork. "But I was raised on pork. Ain't nothing wrong with pork."

8. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Do That Stuff!

:bowdown: :flowers: Thank You, myQueen. :flowers: :bowdown:

Because of YOU, Africa Awakens!! It IS Time

if one doesn't cook it thoroughly there could be problems. besides, where did this admonition originate, but from the "religions" of two peoples that sought/seek to subjugate us?

9. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    :dj::dj::dj::dj:
    "Call a chinese man a chinese and he's cool
    Call an Indian man an Indian and he's cool
    Call some Black people AFREEKAN they look pon you like your a FOOL
    BUT
    AFREEKA'S OUR HOME THEIR AIN'T NO DOUBT ABOUT IT
    NEVER DENY YOUR HOME....HELP ME SHOUT IT" (Macka B, More Knowledge, Homeland Afreeka)

M.E
    :hearts2:

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Right and don't wait for the man to pass a law to make it official. Just do it.