Black People Politics : Black Votes Matter in Ferguson

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    A federal trial challenging the city’s discriminatory election system begins today.

January 11, 2016

[​IMG]

At the time of Mike Brown’s shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, the city was two-thirds African-American, yet its mayor, city manager, five of six city council members, police chief and 50 of its 53 police officers were white.Ad Policy

In the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests,
    two black candidates were elected to the Ferguson City Council in April 2015, but African-Americans still have very little political power in the area.
    For example, nearly 80 percent of the 12,000 students in the Ferguson-Florissant School District are black, but the seven-member school board includes only two African-American members. In 2013, the district’s first African-American superintendent was
    forced out by the board.
    There are many reasons for black political underrepresentation in Ferguson: a long history of discrimination, segregation, poverty, economic disinvestment, low voter turnout and police harassment, as detailed by the
    Department of Justice.

Read more

http://www.thenation.com/article/black-votes-matter-in-ferguson/

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    In Ferguson, the Black voter turn out has not been high for years.
    The local elections are in off years and the residents don't keep up enough with local politics to vote in off presidential years or at odd times. So the officials play that game on them.

The at large voting system has always been wrong. People from counties as far away as 30 miles ( rich Clayton ) from Ferguson are being elected. Elected officials don't live in the community and vote just with majority just to go along, to get along with the school board and other members. Not a lot of jobs and there is always a White against Black when it comes to a good position in Missouri, ( St. Louis ).
    ==========================================
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/01/11/3737411/ferguson-voter-suppresion/

by Alice Ollstein Jan 11, 2016 8:00 am
    [​IMG]
    On Monday, the American Civil Liberties Union and the Missouri NAACP are challenging one facet of this disparity by taking Ferguson’s local school district to federal court, arguing that the system used to elect school board members dilutes the voting power of African Americans.

“After the Michael Brown shooting and the subsequent protests, there was more attention paid to how the local government was largely controlled by white representatives,” she said. “I think it necessitates a deeper look at whether they’re the preferred representatives of the African American community, or whether those residents are not being heard.”

Voter turnout in Ferguson is dismally low — reaching just 30 percent in 2015, up from just 11.7 percent in 2013. Only 6 percent of black residents voted that year.

One possible reason is that the city holds its local elections in off-months of off-years, instead of allowing them to coincide with congressional and presidential elections, which tend to generate higher turnout.

3. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    You know I never voted in a congressional election until this past month and my vote didn't count for much. I find it very difficult to learn about who is running at that level and to keep track of when the Congressional and "Other" elections are. I hate just pulling the lever for party lines. I'd like to know more about the candidates themselves. It's very confusing and I wish it were more clear. This is how republicans keep in power I guess. :/

It's said only 20% of people vote in congressional elections.

4. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Thanks for posting, HODEE. If I understand correctly, not voting is a problem. But, another problem is AAs cannot possibly get proper representation on the ballot with the present system. I can see how that in itself would discourage AAs from voting. Sad situation

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    It can be challenging. I am looking at this website. I would like some feedback from posters. Would you trust them? The site seems kind of whitewashed with Star Spangled Banner playing in the background and all... But, it does give information on local elections, candidates, ballot measures, issues, etc.

http://votesmart.org/