Black People Politics : Black Vote Rising, Black Power Diminishing, Black Condition Worsening

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, May 22, 2013.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    If I recall, there was a very spirited debate regarding black folks and voting a while ago, at least prior to pres. obama winning his second election.

A question put forth by glen ford of black agenda report, which am going to relay on to the community:

If Black voting strength actually translates as real power, then why is the Black condition deteriorating, even as Black electoral activity increases?”

Your thoughts...

http://www.blackagendareport.com/co...k-power-diminishing-black-condition-worsening

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Just because we're voting..doesn't mean we're voting "right"...

A vote means nothing if you don't know who or what you are really voting for.

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    It's an excellent rhetorical question. Yet it's a poor philosophical concept. Power comes from Nationhood; however America is a White Nation. Voting in a White Nation empowers White Nationhood. Were we to vote in a Black Nation that'd be a different story. I.e. "These are our Council of Elders whom we'll listen to" and that Council decreed this or that boycott--we'd have Power. But we're voting in a White System and that can only empower Whites.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    it's only real power if we deny it…..

5. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Two thoughts here.

1. 12%
    2. Sprawl

I'll also throw in something else, it is tough to unify if everyone is not willing to unify for the right reason(s). What is/are those reasons? That may be another thread in the making. We've seen enough wolves in sheep's clothing that we automatically label a sheep a wolf, if you catch my drift.

6. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    And out of five Carribbean and 48 African; Black nations, were do you see that to be effective?

7. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The true danger of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense to the corporate oligarchy, is that they tutored, freely tutored the grassroots Black communities in the major cities about true civics; the power and limitations of each and every local office, term limits funding of candidates and zoning laws. Tutored, because back then in the 60s and 70s it was taught in the JHS and HSs, no longer the case after the 90s and there is no one educating the community. We vote now, like a blindfolded driver. We calim we have now the right to "drive" but no vision or focus on where we are going, when we vote!

8. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    "Poor philosophical concept", as in the idea that voting (by itself) will garner substantial power? Besides, if you recall/participated in a the thread discussing blacks and voting, the question is beyond rhetorical.

9. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Let us assume that, pow, we find ourselves "unified for" whatever could be considered a "right reason(s)"? How does/would that lend power to the mere vote? Massive amounts of black folk voted, you know.

10. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    You have to take my last reply in the whole and not just a segment of it. I am not a big electoral advocate because the system, also I was not one of the people fooling myself into thinking there would be true change.