Black People : BLACK UNITY, MYTH OR REALITY

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by bigtown, Mar 23, 2005.

1. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Is "black unity a possibility? Or is it some mythical utopia that exists only in some of our minds? Some argue that there isn't even unity amongst white people. That they are willing to stab each other in the back as quickly as anyone, and the only thing that keeps them on the same page is them having an absolute supremist mentality. If black america cannot even have unity within our own families, how can we expect to be unified with black strangers? Some argue that "black unity may be way to much responsibilty. That we should concentrate more on developing a structure for black families in america, which seems more like a realistic goal. What'chall think black people?

2. FiveAlive

FiveAlive Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I think that black unity is a myth. Reasonable (black) minds can and do differ on a whole range of topics. I personally find rather repulsive the idea that a whole race of people would or should be in 'unity' when all other people are allowed the freedom to be individuals. Black unity would require consensus on what would improve our position in American society, which in turn would require that a lot more of us pay attention to and care about current events as well as history.

3. plainrhythm

plainrhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    i believe that black unity is as real as we make it.
    if we, as black people were a strong enough community (for instance like the destee fam), we would've been able to work together. unfortunately, considering circumstances, it seems impossible. there are black people out there who will do anything to save their own skins. they could take bribes to turn against their own people (police informers - apartheid era).
    so, repeating your question: is this unity a myth?
    we can only hope it isn't because the people who make it such are those who do not wish to see themselves as part of a people.
    concluding this, i should say that i have no idea what it is because there is a 50/50 chance of it being a reality.

just my opinion, take it or leave it.
    :geek:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    It is a good opinion Plainrhythm, and one that not only you share! Indeed I outright wonder how any black person could find that idea of black unity "repulsive"? Why is it necessary for our people to be divided because other people are seemingly divided?

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

when black men united to fight in the Civil War, was that repulsive to you?

When black people united, irrespective of religion beliefs in the 1960's to fight and die for civil and human rights, was that also repulsive?

6. plainrhythm

plainrhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    thank you brother pan, it is indeed sad how one of our people could lose hope completely in a united community. we would no longer be a minority (literally) if we stood together for our beliefs.
    thank you, i thought i was the only one!

7. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Black Unity is REAL...

Black folks have been united in the past... for example back in the 60's during the Montgomery Alabama bus boycott which lasted for over a year.

And to paraphrase recent presidential nominee Reverand Al Sharpton : Black folks need to come together on the issues that we do agree upon and worry about what we don't agree upon a whole lot less !

Akilah
    :grouphug:

8. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    The 60's were under more extreme circumstances. By far not the most extreme, but extreme circumstances nonetheless. Brothers were still strange fruit in the south back then.

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This thread can & should end on this quote sister Akilah! Only a person who is deaf, dumb, and blind can not see the value in black unity!

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

I agree with this, but you must keep in mind, there are over 1 million brothas in the penal system.