Black People Politics : Black Unemployment Rate Worsens While Others' Rates Gain

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by RAPTOR, Jan 28, 2012.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    by Dr. Julianne Malveaux NNPA Columnist

The unemployment rate is falling for the third month in a row, and in December about 200,000 private sector jobs were created. The monthly unemployment report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated that unemployment has declined by six tenths of a percentage point since August. Already, some economists are saying we can expect another decline next month.

I am surprised, however, at the very tepid language that the Employment Situation report uses to describe the increase in African American unemployment. A rise of .3 percent among African Americans, the second rise in as many months, is described as having “changed little”. It has changed enough so that while some are celebrating gains, African Americans are losing. Indeed, the African American unemployment rate increased from 15.5 to 15.8 percent.

Black women, it turns out, are losing more than most. While the unemployment rate for adult African American women, at 13.9 percent, is still lower than the male rate of 15.7 percent, African American men gained jobs this year, while African American women lost them. Why? Nearly one in four (23 percent) African American women works for government, and federal, state, and local governments are releasing workers, not hiring them. And while some governments will attempt to get the economy moving by creating construction and redevelopment opportunities for men, teachers, nurses and social workers, mostly women, are walking on eggshells in fear of job losses. Even when we know that smaller classroom size gives a better yield in terms of educational results, school districts are being forced to shoehorn another student or two into already-crowded classrooms because of cost issues.

Read more: http://www.theskanner.com/article/Black-Unemployment-Rate-Worsens-While-Others-Rates-Gain-2012-01-09

2. Nakeone

Nakeone Well-Known Member MEMBER

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    We've been warned about our total dependency on others for jobs long ago. It's pretty messed up. Someone told me the only thing that would force Black people to unite is if the system or the White man or the puppeteer cuts the strings of their Black employees. In this way they will fall back down to earth instead of walking downtown with their noses high in the sky with that illusion of inclusion. Not all but many of them avoid all contact with other Blacks because they have arrived. We got caught up in this illusion. But i really dislike the employment because kids and others have to suffer if a mom or dad looses their jobs. Maybe this will be good for our salvation. We would never do anything as long as the white man is handing us that check to go shopping to have one up on the next Black man.
    I know how arrogant and self centered and anti community, anti revolutionary the Black community got once we started getting those niiiiice jobs downtown. There are pros and cons. But i don't wanna see nobody hungry. I blame it on our so called leadership. Shapton ain't talking about independence and the rest of these suckas!

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Thanks for sharing Brothers.

This is a topic close to my heart, for it speaks to our ability to provide for our own selves, feed our own children, etc.

Unfortunately ... this situation is not new for us ... and we can blame it on the rain if we wanna.

Hmmmm ... this may be a video topic for me one day ... Thanks for sharing!

:heart:

Destee

4. JTWilson

JTWilson Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    It's not about "blame".

Just at projection of statistics that attempts to indicate where we are with regard to
    the job market.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

........A more recent account: Written by Associated Press on February 3, 2012 10:01 am

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/page-20#post-727013

Black Unemployment Rate Drops To 13.6

Peace In,