Black People : Black Towns

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
  2. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Definitely very interesting.

On another note, I know a lot of once all-black towns or near all-black towns have became much more diverse mainly as a result of hispanic immigration within the last two decades (at least in the Northeast). Nothing wrong with that as long as they're decent, neat and respectable neighbors.

3. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't been any "Black Towns" in a while. There are a bunch of places where black people live but you can't really call it a black town for many of our black Bro.s and Sis own no land or has an economic intrust in that town.

4. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

I think that is definitely true for most housing projects and many inner-city areas within regions of high cost of livings.

But in most black small towns and especially suburbs, they actually tend to have decent homeownership rates (even if the community itself isn't considered solidly middle class). Of course it tends to not be as high as whites but they mostly range from 50-80%.

I know the 2010 census has data on home ownership rates.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Would any of you be willing to relocate to a predominantly Black small town if the potential for growth was promising?

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Yes, I would. As long as I could earn a living wage and had an affordable or employer paid health care plan.

7. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I would if the land was ours.

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Many of my paternal relatives were raised in a small town north of Bakersfield known as Wasco. It was not all black but had a lot of Black residents. Many who migrated from the South. Ironically, Wasco now has a correctional facility, just as does Boley. My Dad used to take me to visit Grandma Oralee often in Wasco whenever my sister and I had a break from school. We always did painting, gardening, canning, it some kind of chores. I miss those days.

9. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

Yes, I don't see why not. If I had children then other things must align too such as a competitive school district/environment.

10. WhatNeedsToBeDone

United States
    Ratings:
    +43

Just to expand on above..

I would actually go out of my way to find a home in a black town if it wasn't for the whole education issue. It seems as if the school systems in even the best black towns struggle to remain competitive. You get a couple of exceptions throughout the country but unfortunately this is almost always the case. I've spent a lot of time researching this topic.

Education is the largest determiner of future resale value and housing is a huge investment. Plus, regardless of how one may feel about the white education system, a child is still more likely to go on to college/university and be upwardly mobile if they attend a competitive school.

In some suburban counties, it can actually be even more expensive to live in a black town b/c you're paying the sky-high taxes (intended to keep "undesirables" out) while getting poor quality schools. Now, you have to find a private school which is a huge expense...as well as having to deal w/the lower resale value as a result of future buyers also being worried about the local school system if you ever wanted to sell your home.

And then since the schools are poor-performing, this limits the amount of other middle class/affluent families who want to live in the area. As a result, property values will decrease and eventually investors will buy up homes for cheap and place section 8 renters, illegal immigrants and illegal apartments in them thus increasing crime, blight and further bringing down the schools/property values.