destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Black the Rottweiler is a killer

Today I saw feathers all over my backyard, and upon further investigation, a big grown adult turkey sized dead chicken. My neighbors have chickens. I was aghast! He did not eat the chicken, but he killed it. Well, I guess he killed it. I did not see any blood on him and he did not confess. He never got close to the chicken while I was present.

I immediately rang my neighbor's doorbell. They have young children, and the children came to the door first, followed by Mother and Father. I asked the Mother, "Can you step outside for a moment so we can talk?" She said "Sure." Then her husband said "I was going to call you, looks like Black killed one of the chickens." He said it so calmly, right there in front of the children! ... :( ... I said, "Do the babies know already?" Everyone said "Yes." I was like, "Oh, okay, well, that's why I'm here. I just saw it, I found the chicken. I'm so sorry. How much do I owe you, let me pay, I'm so sorry." They said, "No, it's a chicken." The husband said, the chicken came in Black's yard, it was over for him." I said, "I'm so sorry!" ... :( ... I said, "Let me pay something, replace the chicken." The husband said, "Chicks cost about $4.00 each, don't even worry about it." I said, "This was not a chick, it was a big adult chicken." He said, "Yes, we've had it for a while, but it happens. Sometimes raccoons, or some other varmint gets them. It's okay." ... :( ... I asked the baby, "Did the chicken have a name?" She said, "It was either Mary or Jack." ... :( ... I said, "I'm so sorry. I just saw it all, found the chicken, and came over. I'm so sorry." The husband said, "I'll come over and get the chicken if you want me to?" I said, "Will you?! Oh, yes, please. I don't think I can pick it up." He said, "Sure, let me grab a garbage bag." I said, "I have garbage bags, and a shovel, yes, thank you so much!" ... :)

He did come and get the chicken. He did not need a shovel, but I gave him my "Black the Rottweiler" gloves to put on and said throw them away after. He even offered to pick up the feathers! Of course I said no thank you to that! Whew! He got the chicken!

Black the Rottweiler is now a certified killer.

:heart:

Destee

I would have split the chicken in half, thrown one half into Blacks food dish for him to eat for dinner saving the other half for his next meal..... uncooked and raw. It's good for him.
Then offered the next door neighbor some money for supplying the food with a sincere thank-you from Black for the good dinner.

But that's just me.

Hi @ogoun ... I guess a dog has to be used to eating raw meat, trained on it or something, for he had the opportunity to eat it all and he didn't. I was glad my neighbor got rid of it. By the time I saw it, bugs were already flying around it.

Now though, I'm thinking, if he could kill a chicken ... what if it was a child. It would be a whole different story. It frightens me, the thought of this.

:thinking:

Thanks for the love!

Destee

We all dog owners have different opinions on dogs and their food. Myself, I feed mine raw when the occasion arises. If I know the source that is. Three dogs back I came home to find her munching on a hind quarter of a deer, it was a bloody feat (mostly mine) to take it away from her........she wasn't going to have it only because I didn't know where it came from (she didn't roam), or how it got there or if it had been poisoned and left just for her.
Since then I've trained my dogs to not eat any food I haven't given to them either by hand or put into their food dish. otherwise they will ignore anything else offered whether by strange hands or found. In my view a good all around practice whatever the nature or type of dog one may keep.

But all that's different from a dog protecting and claiming his or her territory and the sometimes hard task of divining the territorial instinct from it's natural prey/play drive. So, to your concern of how territorial Black may be that is very valid worry imho. If you'd like to go into that worry further I'll be happy to oblige and help as much I can.

Black be okay in my book.

We all dog owners have different opinions on dogs and their food. Myself, I feed mine raw when the occasion arises. If I know the source that is. Three dogs back I came home to find her munching on a hind quarter of a deer, it was a bloody feat (mostly mine) to take it away from her........she wasn't going to have it only because I didn't know where it came from (she didn't roam), or how it got there or if it had been poisoned and left just for her.
Since then I've trained my dogs to not eat any food I haven't given to them either by hand or put into their food dish. otherwise they will ignore anything else offered whether by strange hands or found. In my view a good all around practice whatever the nature or type of dog one may keep.

But all that's different from a dog protecting and claiming his or her territory and the sometimes hard task of divining the territorial instinct from it's natural prey/play drive. So, to your concern of how territorial Black may be that is very valid worry imho. If you'd like to go into that worry further I'll be happy to oblige and help as much I can.

Black be okay in my book.

Thank you for the response! All good stuff and yes, I want to go into that more please and thanks.

Regarding food, I never taught him not to eat from another, though it is something I'd like him to know. Gosh, it sounds like work though, and while I have him, I must admit - we do not spend hours on training a day. I just don't have it in me. Maybe he is too much for me ... :cry:

Yes, I'm sure he is territorial. He's had his own backyard, pretty big, all of his life. He roams that yard looking for anything out of order, and it seldom is. Once he was barking real krazee, and I went out, and he had cornered a cat under the porch - just slobbering and everything - trying to coax that cat out. Of course the cat did not move, frozen with fear but safe. I brought Black in, and let the cat escape.

I was thinking back to my neighbors saying other varmints have killed their chickens. I have never seen a varmint, I'm sure because they know Black lives in the yard, and the chickens are next door ... :)

Yes please, let's go into the worry further.

Thank you.

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back