Black People : Black Student's Dorm Room Confederate Flag Sparks Uproar

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Dec 2, 2011.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    [​IMG]

COLUMBIA, South Carolina – A black U.S. college student who drew complaints for displaying a Confederate flag in his dorm room window said he sees the banner as a symbol of pride and not racism.

Byron Thomas, 19, said university officials asked him in late November to take the down the banner associated with pro-slavery secessionist forces during the 1861-1865 U.S. Civil War after students and parents complained. They have since told him he can put it back up.

"When I look at this flag, I don't see racism. I see respect, Southern pride," he said. "This flag was seen as a communication symbol" during the Civil War, he said.

That history is debatable. The orange flag with a blue St. Andrew's Cross and white stars is a relatively modern rectangular variant on banners carried into battle by the secessionists, also resembling a rebel naval jack. The variant banner, confused by many with the markedly different Confederate national flag, was adopted as a symbol of pride generations after the South surrendered and slavery was abolished.

Controversy has surrounded the use of the symbol since -- some associating it with regional pride and others a legacy of the enslavement of Africans and their descendants and the ensuing century of often violent racial segregation. Several states incorporated its design into their official flags; South Carolina raised it over its state capitol for the war's 1961 centennial, where it continued to fly until widening opposition to the symbol brought it back down in 2000, nearly 40 years later.

Byron, a student at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, took the flag down at the university's request, but he said he's considering putting it back up after the officials relented. Thomas has drawn nearly 70,000 views since he posted a video online in which he acknowledges: "I know it's kind of weird because I'm black."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Thomas said a class research project made him come to the belief that the flag's real meaning has been hijacked. He said he wants people to thoughtfully consider issues of race and not just knee-jerk reactions to such symbols.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/01/student-sparks-debate-with-dorm-room-confederate-flag/#ixzz1fQ292jq0

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    There is a movie out about a famous homosexual

the architect of COINTELPRO

Now there was no doubt about the relationship between the mind technologies of Edward Bernays and the hatred for Black people of J Edgar Hoover,
    and the end result of their hard work and endeavor has given us this,
    a scientific methodology to create a anti revolutionary negro and an anti revolutionary generation, enamored of the idea of being deaf dumb and blind to the liberation of self

About 3 hours ago, I had done some food shopping in my area, and 3 young boys, horesing around on their way home, about 8, 10 12 years old, passed by and the word N was used among them in reference to each other about 5 times in the 6 seconds it took for them to pass me on the sidewalk.

One has to look at what is the end result of parents allowing, actual demons to create a culture of nihilism for their children and do nothing about it

1 Remeber the Skeleton jackets? so our child can look like what is left swinging form a tree after a lynching? who thought up that wonderful idea, that only our children wore?

2 Or how about our young girls going to school with spiderweb designs on their clothing? spider webs indicate something that has not moved for weeks or been washed!

3 Or wearing Skull and Bones, the symbol of the pirates,
    that Bob Marley sang about in Redemption Song

4 Or young men wearing ones pants below their hindparts,
    unable to run from police harrassment, or run to rescue someone,
    self inflicted mobility,
    as well as emulating the style of dress of the men in the gay wards
    of the federal and state pens

5 Or the music that celebrates selfishness, materialsim, greed and self angrandizement,
    6 and before that the glorifcation of turning out and pimping ones brother or sisters daughter
    7 and before that music that glorified the selling of crack to destroy ones community
    8 and before that music that celebrated fratricide

now you take all of that , make those things the in thing, and stir well, and what do you get?

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    So really what does the flag say politically to us? It says e have failed to give our youth a real cogent ideology or culture, and those that seek to destroy us have done their job well, while we have failed to protect young minds form their assaults

4. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    thats what happens when we send our kids to them to be educated. Turn them into fools. Educated against their own selves. Brainwashed... and his parents are paying for him to be brainwashed.

5. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    Yes indeed this is what happens when you allow your enemy to educate your children...This is also in my opinion an indirect result of and one of the many negatives of integration. Atleast then we knew who the enemy was and what it represented. Only a serious fool with no sense of history in a honest, critical and in depth perspective would come to believe that the confederate flag is NOT a slap in the face to blacks and even white Americans both of whom had relatives who fought in the union army and died! is he serious??? I honestly think there is no hope for this kid.

6. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    What's this flag saying that the "American" flag ain't saying 100 fold? Can we look at all the ish blk people endured under the american flag and compare it to what they went through under the confederate flag? I am just saying...

And...wow, I can't believe they made him take it down, it's his window wth?

7. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    exactly.. the American flag contains the confederate flag.. They are one in the same.. as far as the African is concerned. The idea that Union soldiers fought for us is mistaken. Union soldiers fought for control of the nation.. we were just one of the disputed elements.. and we fought on both sides of the civil war.. truth be told; it didn't matter which side won.. we would still be the subjugated property of one group of white folks or another. So, us taking sides is like a prison bit^^ picking sides in a fight between two dudes that want to keep him locked in his degraded subjugated role. "get em pete!"..
    sounds straight crazy...

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    [​IMG]

you can look in this kids face and see that his mind is chock full of misinformation. Thats exactly the look of intellectual vacancy.. he's lost.. but he's also young.. he still has time to learn and grow.

9. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    "Southern pride"? "Respect"? For who?

I ain't gone front tho'. I did have the "general lee" as part of
    my tyco racecar set... Yeeeeeehaaaaw!

Hey if he can rock the rebel flag, then I don't want to hear
    folks trippin' when that swastika is hung up in someone's
    dorm window. ...Not one peep.

Black folk caught hell under that flag to, you know...

10. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    both of you make valid points. But honestly regarding the civil war common sense means you go with the lesser of two evils. You either like being a slave subject entirely 24h lock down by the white man or you go with the one who is gonna set you free, he didnt like that you would be free but none less it is what it is regardless of what followed although it was the same status, socially and economically. Also it is complete nonsense to say the war wasnt about slavery. It was whether you argue that it was about the economy of the North and their tiring of the south controlling it, or "states rights" as the south would have it. Either way it was about slavery which was the direct link to the American economy. Lincoln would have had it either way all He wanted to do was preserve the union.