Black People : Black State of the Union Address 2005

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KWABENA, Feb 27, 2005.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Family:

I HOPE that I am not the only one who happened to catch the Black State of the Union Address, Presided by Tavis Smiley.

I was just flipping through channels last night, and I came across C-SPAN, and happened to see Tavis Smiley speaking his mind, along with other black leaders. I mean this is and was a great start, and I firmly believe that we should all get involved. However, just the idea of a Black State of the Union address! That alone was good to see. Not to mention, it was NOTHING like the Bush State of the Union address. Unlike Bush, Tavis did not deliver a tedious speech of lies; Tavis spoke the truth. It was not just Tavis speaking; it was also; Rev. Al Sharpton, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson was present, Bishop Eddie Long, Dr. David Satcher, Princeton Professor Cornel West, Tom Joyner was present, and many more. Overall, this address was something that EVERY black person should have been watching, and Tavis deserves plenty of props for this speech.

If you have Audio/Video on your computer, you can see or hear it at:

http://www.c-span.org/

Also, you can go to:

http://tavistalks.com/ for more information.

Check it out at your own convenience.

CD

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace brotha,

I watched it twice yesterday as they showed again here in Ny at 8pm........I'm still high off of the conversation and the plan presented for our Unity.......

peace

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    It was a great start... I'm so glad that some of the panelist stated that before We have any kind of contract with America, or in the words of Minister Louis Farrakhan, have one at all (I of course like the latter); We must have a contract with each other.

This was the start.... I just hope that this time We go ahead, through Our towels in the ring, and just go for it.

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Fam

I did see the State of Black America that was put on by Tavis Smiley. I think it was a lot better than last year...where they argued back and forth for the most part and tried to out speak each other. The did have some good things to say about where we are as a people. Most of what was said last year was discussed by my friends and I who are not as in-the-know as the people who spoke last year.

This year, there were several people who had some very insightful things to say in respect to WHO we have the convenant with and WHAT should be included in this covenant. I give mad props to Rev Jesse Jackson and Honorable Louis Farrakhan for their keen insight on the state of Black America and how to approach this issue...especially Farrakhan. Farrakhan broke it down, dissected it, analyzed it, and summarized it. The brotha was passionate...and I sincerely feel that he wasn't doing it for show. On several occasions he asked the crowd to quiet down so that they can hear what he had to say.

They lost C-SPAN airtime before Tavis told the crowd where we are going from here and how they can have some impact in the covenant. I didn't like losing the airtime...and lost information. I'm sure we can get this info from the website.

On another note, Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson...or something like that...did an interview on C-SPAN before the State of Black Union address. He's a Republican. The brotha said a lot that I totally didn't agree with. I watched this 30 minute interview because I couldn't believe that Black people like this existed. Well, except for Keyes...I just didn't think another Black person like this existed. I can't believe it.

Anyway, he said that Black men are lazy...and that we make money by selling our bodies. He said that's the reason HIV is so prevalent in the Black community. smh

Why would C-SPAN even do an interview with someone of this nature right before the broadcast of the State of Black America? That shows you C-SPAN's take on what Tavis is doing.

peace

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Let me tell you, .I am very upset that I missed the first 3 hours, because I will be willing to bet that I really missed alot of imperative information. Of course Farrakhan was great like always, but you have to give it up first and foremost to Tavis, because he sounded better than Bush ever sounded, then you have to give it up to Rev. Al Sharpton, because he was the one that set it all of. It was sort of like Farrakhan finished what everyone started, and I will honest with you family - it started getting irritating when Farrakhan tried to say something, then everyone is clapping, so you can bearly hear him. Also, Michael Eric Dyson really put it down, as well as Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. I taped everything from the 2nd pabel to the ending, and I really wish I was able to get the first panel. Wasn't Barack Obama on the first panel? I wanted to see him.

In any event, they all made a big impact, and that tape that I do have, I will watch it OVER and OVER and OVER again, until I understand that our leaders are speaking the truth! This was no Tavis Smiley getting up there and telling a bunch of lies; This was Tavis, along with distinguished CEO's (Mr. Fraser) etc, speaking about WE will overcome and improve. One of my professor deeply believe that blacks will never come together....now let me say after listening to Minister Farrakhan, I think he might re-think that opinion.

It was very good, and I look forward to seeing that contract in effect.

CD

6. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    No, Barack Obama wasn't in the first panel or the second one. He may have attended the Health forum if he even attended at all.

Well, from my recollection, I saw the discussion in the first panel going as follows:

1. Rev. Al Shaprton spoke on the disconnect between our political leaders, Pastors, and the Black Intelligentsia and Black leaders getting together when the cameras aren't on.

2. Rev. Joseph Lowery spoke about changing it from a contract to a covenant.

3. The Honorable Louis Farrakhan spoke about us making the convenant between ourselves...specifically, the political leaders, Pastors, and the Black Intelligentsia and our people. In addition, he sponke on un not trusting those who we KNOW we can't trust...the White people aka the government, the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. When he spoke the second time, he summarized it all very eloquently.

4. Rev Jesse Jackson was in the second panel and spoke about not falling for the okie doke...specifically, the issue of how gay and lesbianism got in the middle of a discussion on social security, voter's rights, health education, unions, etc.

Side note: I didn't see the beginning of it so I must have missed the speech by Tavis Smiley. I only saw him facilitate the first panel.

peace

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    The rest of the family might not agree with me, but I think it was a good idea not to show the rest of the address on camera - and I will tell you why.

When the cameras went off, they most likely got specific with what the contract/covenant really indicated. If the cameras had been there, the Government would have tapped into our plans, and they would have tried to find a way to jeopardize it. That is whay when you are putting on a press conference, hearing, etc., you have to be careful who admit into the room; for you let the wrong person in, they will go back with the right information just to condemn us. Only if the rest of our speeches were like this.

CD

8. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I watched the whole 6 hours....

Monetary you hit it on the nail: Why did C-Span air Jesse Lee Peterson?

Because they, in there own way, wanted to undermine the truth.

I wish that next year Tavis and Company would maybe go to Black Family Channel or TV One, in addition to C-Span.

Farrakhan said that all We had to do was get in a room, he got very specific by recognizing the panelists' fields of expertise and then said all We need is a table and on that table a bible.

I say, beautiful!

Al, letting loose about the racism in the Democratic Party, but again, Farrakhan brought it home to Us - " To hell with the Democrats!"

This was the best of Tavis' State of the Unions, to me.

I think that We need to keep the pressure on them, as far as, plotting the details for the outline that they gave Us... then let Us run with it.

Has anyone ever seen Coni Rice so worked up? Faye Wattleton?

First hours was the health issues: they talked of the institutionalized racism in health care... It was great... One thing I came away with was how We are not apart of medical studies, how We should demand better health care, and that Deprava, or whatever that many black are taking as birth control makes them go bald! And there is a brother named, Dr. Parham, a psychologist... He was very good.

9. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Happy69

I'm glad you spoke on the Health forume because I missed it. I wish I had seen it...and I still want to see it. I may look at it on the C-SPAN website. I was on another website and a Sista spoke about the depovara shots. She said she was on it for 2 years. When she stopped taking the shots, she bled for 6 months.

peace

10. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have been watching Tavis & Tom Joyner's State of the Black Union Address for several years now... and in my opinion this years was the best... FINALLY... enough with the rhetoric and let's get down to business.

I have a new found respect for Minister Louis Farrakan...WOW... what he had to say just blew me away...I feel such a kinship with him now.

And Rev Al Sharpton was incredible... he was so right on when he said that black folks need to stop brow beating our differences and come together on the things that we DO agree on for the sake of our afrikan family !

Many
    Blessings & Hugs
    Akilah :grouphug: