Black People : Black State of the Union Address 2005

KWABENA

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 10, 2004
Everywhere
Occupation
Leader-Student-Teacher
Family:

I HOPE that I am not the only one who happened to catch the Black State of the Union Address, Presided by Tavis Smiley.

I was just flipping through channels last night, and I came across C-SPAN, and happened to see Tavis Smiley speaking his mind, along with other black leaders. I mean this is and was a great start, and I firmly believe that we should all get involved. However, just the idea of a Black State of the Union address! That alone was good to see. Not to mention, it was NOTHING like the Bush State of the Union address. Unlike Bush, Tavis did not deliver a tedious speech of lies; Tavis spoke the truth. It was not just Tavis speaking; it was also; Rev. Al Sharpton, Minister Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson was present, Bishop Eddie Long, Dr. David Satcher, Princeton Professor Cornel West, Tom Joyner was present, and many more. Overall, this address was something that EVERY black person should have been watching, and Tavis deserves plenty of props for this speech.

If you have Audio/Video on your computer, you can see or hear it at:

http://www.c-span.org/

Also, you can go to:

http://tavistalks.com/ for more information.

Check it out at your own convenience.

CD

It was a great start... I'm so glad that some of the panelist stated that before We have any kind of contract with America, or in the words of Minister Louis Farrakhan, have one at all (I of course like the latter); We must have a contract with each other.

This was the start.... I just hope that this time We go ahead, through Our towels in the ring, and just go for it.

Fam

I did see the State of Black America that was put on by Tavis Smiley. I think it was a lot better than last year...where they argued back and forth for the most part and tried to out speak each other. The did have some good things to say about where we are as a people. Most of what was said last year was discussed by my friends and I who are not as in-the-know as the people who spoke last year.

This year, there were several people who had some very insightful things to say in respect to WHO we have the convenant with and WHAT should be included in this covenant. I give mad props to Rev Jesse Jackson and Honorable Louis Farrakhan for their keen insight on the state of Black America and how to approach this issue...especially Farrakhan. Farrakhan broke it down, dissected it, analyzed it, and summarized it. The brotha was passionate...and I sincerely feel that he wasn't doing it for show. On several occasions he asked the crowd to quiet down so that they can hear what he had to say.

They lost C-SPAN airtime before Tavis told the crowd where we are going from here and how they can have some impact in the covenant. I didn't like losing the airtime...and lost information. I'm sure we can get this info from the website.

On another note, Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson...or something like that...did an interview on C-SPAN before the State of Black Union address. He's a Republican. The brotha said a lot that I totally didn't agree with. I watched this 30 minute interview because I couldn't believe that Black people like this existed. Well, except for Keyes...I just didn't think another Black person like this existed. I can't believe it.

Anyway, he said that Black men are lazy...and that we make money by selling our bodies. He said that's the reason HIV is so prevalent in the Black community. smh

Why would C-SPAN even do an interview with someone of this nature right before the broadcast of the State of Black America? That shows you C-SPAN's take on what Tavis is doing.

peace

Let me tell you, .I am very upset that I missed the first 3 hours, because I will be willing to bet that I really missed alot of imperative information. Of course Farrakhan was great like always, but you have to give it up first and foremost to Tavis, because he sounded better than Bush ever sounded, then you have to give it up to Rev. Al Sharpton, because he was the one that set it all of. It was sort of like Farrakhan finished what everyone started, and I will honest with you family - it started getting irritating when Farrakhan tried to say something, then everyone is clapping, so you can bearly hear him. Also, Michael Eric Dyson really put it down, as well as Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. I taped everything from the 2nd pabel to the ending, and I really wish I was able to get the first panel. Wasn't Barack Obama on the first panel? I wanted to see him.

In any event, they all made a big impact, and that tape that I do have, I will watch it OVER and OVER and OVER again, until I understand that our leaders are speaking the truth! This was no Tavis Smiley getting up there and telling a bunch of lies; This was Tavis, along with distinguished CEO's (Mr. Fraser) etc, speaking about WE will overcome and improve. One of my professor deeply believe that blacks will never come together....now let me say after listening to Minister Farrakhan, I think he might re-think that opinion.

It was very good, and I look forward to seeing that contract in effect.

CD

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back