Black People : Black Slave Owners

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by indya, Oct 6, 2004.

1. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am fortunate that my family has been good about keeping track of old family records. I don't think I agree with reparations though. I'm not sure how the gov. would go about doing this. Especially with all the immigrants the US has gotten in the last 150 years who were never slaves or whites who's ancestors were from the North and never owned slaves.

Also, I want everyones oppinion on something else. I was checking out a web sight africancrisis.org and commonsenseclub.com they both talk about slaves who were owned by other blacks. How many people out there are decendents of black slave owners? These people definitally shouldn't be able to apply for reparations since there ancestors were part of the problem.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Alas,

It seems like a logical and reasonable argument, yea? However, it is rather an overglossing of sorts. Blacks owning Blacks, hmm? Now that's interesting.... In Louisiana, we had octroons, quadroons, mulattoes (metis - creolized version), griffes and samboes. --------

Elusive Blackbird

3. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23

I lived in New Orleans for a few years, interresting city with lots of history. I think free Blacks in New Orleans had more freedoms because of the strong French influence. There was the quadroon ball for instance where girls were looking to become mistresses to white men. I've read quite a few articles stating that these free black women had slaves. According to the web sight blacks owning slaves wasn't just limited to Louisiana though.

Anyway I just thought this was something to consider when talking about reparations, not everyone was a slave.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Greetings indya! :wave: So as not to get off the topic of this thread, I have started a NEW thread and pose your questions about Blacks owning slaves there. It's a simple matter of respect to the member who started this one not to stray from the topic too much and it helps to give greater attention to your questions as well.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Very interesting argument, Black Slaveowners - until you get to the numbers... One, how many Black Slaveowners were there, and were they rich enough to own large plantations of slaves.??? The answer is an unequivocal NO! It is common knowledge that SOME Blacks in the United States owned slaves, but the books written to that effect tell of these slaveowners holding only a very few slaves...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23

Actually there were a few who owned 50 or more slaves. Anyway, the majority of slave owners in the south only owned a few. Plantations were only owned by the very rich.

But, does that make it okay? Also should decendents of black slave owners be able to apply for reparations, if that become available?
    This is why I don't think reparations are a good idea. I think in the end if everyone had to prove if their ancestors were slaves and some found out they were actually decended from black slave owners, this would cause a devide in the community.

7. bigtown

bigtown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    MANY OF THOSE BLACK SLAVE OWNERS OWNED RELATIVES ( TO KEEP THEM FROM BEING OWNED BY WHITE MEN ). MUCH OF THE BRUTALITY WASN'T THERE EITHER.

8. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Indya, please!!!! Read the pros and cons before making such statements my sister. I will point you to Dr. Raymond Winbush's book on Raparations. Okay. God Bless and Peace.

9. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    In the town I'm from there were at least two slave owners and as far as the brutality goes from what I've read both of them whipped their slaves ....some of their slaves were treated better than others but they still owned bought and sold slaves..it's a funny situation though because even though they were both free men and could and did own slaves neither were accepted by white society as equals...one...William Johnson " The Barber of Natchez " was even killed by a white man who was never brought to justice despite there being witnesses to the murder.......

Mississippi Red

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    Interesting assesment, Red!

Indya, the question and argument of reparations isn't solely incumbent on slave-ownership. A better evaluation concerns the overall quality of the Black experience in America, i.e. social mobility, legacy of lynchings and Jim Crow, the initial importation of Africans (including the ancestors of future Black slave owners themselves), land-grabbing... The criteria is not, and should not be, only based on slave ownership. Being a Louisiana Red, myself, I know of one ancestress that was actually styled "quadroon." She married a post-antebellum emancipated Black man. Initially, she inherited the infamous Creole lifestyle and all the "perks" accompanying it. However, my family's experience is congruent to that of other Black folks - the psychological trauma and marginal compensation, as well as, the otherwise discrimination evident.

Blackbird