Black People : Black slave owners: Is there a double standard to the double standard?

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
I remember many moons ago watching an episode of "a different world" when jasmine guy's character discovered that her (black american) ancestors owned slaves and the pain and hardship that caused her when she learned of that. FastForward to perry's movie, "jumping the broom", bassett's character made mention that her family owned slaves.

Okay, now:

One of the major rationales (genuine or not) for many black folks in the western world for dismissing their afrikan (pre-transatlantic) history/heritage is because "they [the afrikans] sold my people into slavery". (As if the accused aren't of the same people as the people who were brought to the western world in chains, which makes them all ones people)

When folks attempt to put that in historical context, it is written off as an attempt to look the other way when that reality to brought to bare. "Only blaming the white man". "They talk all that afrika stuff and how great they were, but gloss over the fact that they sold us into slavery" <<< Those are the kinds of statements made.

'Slavery is slavery, no matter what' is exclaimed more or less. And as of consequence, "those ain't my people".

There are a lot of other reasons why a number of us will begin our genesis with coming off ships in chains, however, I wanna explore this "afrikans sold my people" --"Slavery is slavery" line of reason to see if it can, or should, be applied to black folk in amerikkka because, there were black folk who owned black folk.

Speaking in general: For the folks who the same/similar or some of the views mentioned in the above in the above, I'd like to put the question out there:

Should one feel the same way about black people in the western world (particularly here in america) because of there being black folk who owned slaves? Are we 'glossing' over this aspect of our collective history? Is black people owning slaves 'just as bad' as black people selling or playing a role in the slave trade?

I'd also like to read from those who do not share said rationale as a means to dis-attach from their history/ancestors that far precedes the maafa.

Your thoughts.

Speaking in general: For the folks who the same/similar or some of the views mentioned in the above in the above, I'd like to put the question out there:

Should one feel the same way about black people in the western world (particularly here in america) because of there being black folk who owned slaves? Are we 'glossing' over this aspect of our collective history? Is black people owning slaves 'just as bad' as black people selling or playing a role in the slave trade?
yes. plain and simple. why? because the statement itself is self-explanatory. like i said in another thread. we need to look at what we are doing to ourselves. if we waste our time blaming other people, then we are only giving away our power to change.

yes. plain and simple. why? because the statement itself is self-explanatory. like i said in another thread. we need to look at what we are doing to ourselves. if we waste our time blaming other people, then we are only giving away our power to change.

Okay.

So do we dismiss 'us' because 'we' owned "our people"? That is to say, should we apply that line of reason as is done as a rationale to disconnect with ones pre-maafa experience? And should this aspect come up every time we wax romantically about our history as afrikans in america?

Okay.

So do we dismiss 'us' because 'we' owned "our people"? That is to say, should we apply that line of reason as is done as a rationale to disconnect with ones pre-maafa experience? And should this aspect come up every time we wax romantically about our history as afrikans in america?
should what come up? the black slave owners deal?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back