Black People : Black slave owners: Is there a double standard to the double standard?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Feb 17, 2012.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    I remember many moons ago watching an episode of "a different world" when jasmine guy's character discovered that her (black american) ancestors owned slaves and the pain and hardship that caused her when she learned of that. FastForward to perry's movie, "jumping the broom", bassett's character made mention that her family owned slaves.

Okay, now:

One of the major rationales (genuine or not) for many black folks in the western world for dismissing their afrikan (pre-transatlantic) history/heritage is because "they [the afrikans] sold my people into slavery". (As if the accused aren't of the same people as the people who were brought to the western world in chains, which makes them all ones people)

When folks attempt to put that in historical context, it is written off as an attempt to look the other way when that reality to brought to bare. "Only blaming the white man". "They talk all that afrika stuff and how great they were, but gloss over the fact that they sold us into slavery" <<< Those are the kinds of statements made.

'Slavery is slavery, no matter what' is exclaimed more or less. And as of consequence, "those ain't my people".

There are a lot of other reasons why a number of us will begin our genesis with coming off ships in chains, however, I wanna explore this "afrikans sold my people" --"Slavery is slavery" line of reason to see if it can, or should, be applied to black folk in amerikkka because, there were black folk who owned black folk.

Speaking in general: For the folks who the same/similar or some of the views mentioned in the above in the above, I'd like to put the question out there:

Should one feel the same way about black people in the western world (particularly here in america) because of there being black folk who owned slaves? Are we 'glossing' over this aspect of our collective history? Is black people owning slaves 'just as bad' as black people selling or playing a role in the slave trade?

I'd also like to read from those who do not share said rationale as a means to dis-attach from their history/ancestors that far precedes the maafa.

Your thoughts.

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    yes. plain and simple. why? because the statement itself is self-explanatory. like i said in another thread. we need to look at what we are doing to ourselves. if we waste our time blaming other people, then we are only giving away our power to change.

3. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    Okay.

So do we dismiss 'us' because 'we' owned "our people"? That is to say, should we apply that line of reason as is done as a rationale to disconnect with ones pre-maafa experience? And should this aspect come up every time we wax romantically about our history as afrikans in america?

4. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    should what come up? the black slave owners deal?

5. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    When I said 'wax romantically' I am implying those great acts and contributions and
    discussions of oppression e.g. slavery, where yts are concerned.

The 'aspect' to 'come up' being that -black folk owned (black) slaves in this country-, is what I am talking about.

6. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    not really, but like i said, we need to keep in mind what we have been doing to each other. and look for ways to change ourselves.

7. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    Okay.

In the grand scheme of things, you are correct.

However, I am trying to focus this in a specific perspective/context.

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    This is a history that one needs to study. We know or should know, that there were already black people in America before the institution of slavery began. Many were Moors and at that time, as I've stated in so many of my threads...they were even marrying white women here in America. I also mentioned that there were only two groups of the Moors who remembered that they were Afrakan and were fighting against the Arabs. It was the Christian religion in America that basically stopped the inter-racial thing from continuing. However, let there be no doubt that there were black people here who had slaves. The question is "why and how"? History teaches us that in several instances that there were plantations whereby afrakan people were basically buying Afrakan people back from the white man.

One of the largest plantations in America was owned by a Black man who at one time was a slave himself. This however is not the issue at all...and the reason it is not an issue is because, if you name the race of people, I can name the sell outs....and yes, we had some too. So we don't want to confuse those pockets of pale blackness with the reality of what happened, why it happened and who did it. I am addressing these issues in my new book that I'm completing.

What the white man did that no other group of people on the planet did was, he reduced us to livestock. He came up with a system that did not exist anywhere on the earth...even though at the time or rather, before the time of his systemic slavery, every nation of people on the globe had slaves...just not as the white man did. I have white literature here whereby it is recorded that the white people back then stated that "they would rather be a slave to the Afrakans than free under their own people!!! So when I say that slavery existed everywhere on the earth, don't even think that it was anything like what them Honkies came up with!! This is why it was called "the peculiar institution" because no one on the earth had ever seen anything like that. Everywhere that slavery existed, "one was still a human being". One still had a name, a culture, a humanity and a choice at the end of ones service...either go back to your own tribe or you could be part of the tribe you were with already. Reasons for being in slavery in Afraka might vary from being a prisoner of war or for punishment for a crime or to pay for that which you had no money to pay. So whatever you do, do not buy into the bull*** about what our people were or were not doing.

We had no system, they did. As with today, we got what?...Black sell outs! People who can't help but to rub elbows with them Honkies and who are their lap dogs in various situations.

So someone name me a black institution that got rich from slavery that exist today??? You can't!...but I can name you several white ones. I can name them because they never stopped doing their dirt to us from slavery down to this very day!!! This isn't even a subject that should be spoken on unless one has done the research on it. Anything outside of that is simply going to be a bunch of emotionally based responses instead of the scholarly or historic answer that this requires. Any and everything has to be looked at from a 360 degree perspective for what it is or isn't. I have excellent resources that I can give you if you need them. Outside of that, like I said, you're only going to get biased perspectives and emotional responses...and that's like trying to stand on sand.

Peace

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    To add to above, White people enslaved White people too. Sometimes calling blue-eyed, blond-haired people 'negroes" to make the sale.

But what about it?

Firstly, someone needs to look right under their nose and understand that the US Constitution prohibits slavery except for under punishment of law--this introduced Jim Crow. This means that today, corporations like McDonald's, Burger King, Dell, Microsoft use prison labour to make those huge profits on top of your participation with them. That is--slave labour continues to this day. This is why this we were massly imprisoned during Jim Crow and why we are massly imprisoned today.

And you go along with it.

You are asking us "What about Black slave owners?" not realizing that your children are being enslaved TODAY by White folk with names on the products that you have used in the last hour.

And let's go deeper:
    Slavery is an Oriental (Asian) Phenomenon.

Orientals enslaved Occidentals (Europeans) and Originals (Africans) since the unification of KMT.

If Africans do as Orientals do--that's not a surprise. You are not distinguishing the Oriental's fundamental culture from the Original's.

If Black people do as White people do--it's because Black people are raised to. But look and listen to what and where the Black heart is. That's all.

Hotep!

10. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    No.

Essentially, I am asking "is there a double standard to the double standard".

I laid out a (one) specific reason why some will deny their pre-maafa history/heritage,
    which is "they sold my people". I am asking them if that same reason were to be
    applied to the fact that black folks had/owned (black) slaves, then where would that
    put them in relation to black folk here in the u.s.? Is it the same (by said reason), that
    black folks do not connect with/embrace...black folks, because they (black folks) owned
    slaves?