Black Entertainment : Black Sci Fi

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by CSmith, Jul 27, 2013.

1. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    I'm a huge fan of science fiction and I rarely watch any other type of programming. I like the Sci Fi genre specifically because it's always forward looking. Either it progresses towards a dystopian or utopian future and it makes you think about what's possible. I like the idea of thinking about the future.

Here's a current list of Sci Fi shows I'm watching:

Continuum (I enjoy the tech theme, and the dystopian future where corporations control every aspect of our lives via a "Corporate Congress" which turns us all essentially into slaves)
    Under The Dome (Don't know about this one because I didn't read the book by Stephen King that it's based on, but it could get interesting)
    Orphan Black
    Revolution
    Falling Skies (I watch this more for the action than anything else, because it lacks in actual discussion of science, still good nonetheless)
    Defiance (not caught up on the series and haven't formed an opinion about it, yet)

I watch pretty much any Sci Fi I can get my hands on. But...I would be remiss if I didn't mention black Sci Fi actors. I've been following several black actors that I routinely see in Sci Fi, many of whom I think are underrated or undervalued.

Idris Elba is an extremely talented actor. I haven't seen Pacific Rim, but I watched him in Thor, Prometheus, etc. and he has given outstanding performances in everything I've seen him in. There's even talk of him taking over the "James Bond" character after Daniel Craig. That would be interesting...

Roger Cross has been in many Sci Fi shows I've seen. Particularly the Stargate series. He's finally getting a better role in Continuum, even though he's not the lead, but I think he's talented and deserves recognition.

Malik Yoba has been doing a ton of Sci Fi lately. He was briefly in Revolution, but was killed off, sadly... He was in Alphas, Gravity, but both of those went off the air fairly quickly. I question his range as an actor, but I still think he does an excellent job and would like to see him in more roles.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is an outstanding actor in my opinion. He's up there with Idris Elba (A ton of great black actors are coming out of Europe lately). This man deserves a lot of credit for his portrayal of "The Operative" in Serenity. I wish he was in more Sci Fi movies, but I guess he'll do a pretty good job with his current role in "12 Years a Slave". Should be an excellent film.

I think what separates Black British actors from American actors is their ability to step into completely different roles where the characters have different accents and mannerisms. American actors often play the same individual in every role they take, similar to Ice Cube. I'm not saying all black American actors are like this, but this is just something I've noticed.

I would like to see more blacks not only acting in Sci Fi shows and movies, but creating Sci Fi. Do you like Sci Fi? If you do, what shows do you currently watch or used to watch?

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Now that's what I'm talking about.

For me, I'd like to see them with an all black cast.

I like sci-fi.

In terms of shows, I like "alphas".

Warehouse 13, sometimes.
    Nearly all "star trek' t.v. shows.

I can't count how many sci-fi movies I enjoy.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Yeah, I'm big on sci fi. Big Dris was good in Pacific Rim, which was not what I expected.

The tube is glutted and I can't keep up. I was watching Revolution and Walking Dead until their seasons ended. A little tired of the zombie apocalypse and alien flicks.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    One more thing. I'm also tired of brothers almost always getting killed off.

5. CSmith

Ratings:
    +213
    I also watch "The Walking Dead", but yeah there has been a Zombie craze lately and it can get old. Still a good serious. I need to see Pacific Rim. Kanye West AND Paul Krugman said it was good. If both of them agree on something then it must be the truth.

I'm absolutely tired of them killing us off as well. But lately I'm seeing some shows at least make an attempt to cast black actors in leads etc. Work is scarce for us, though.

And I like to see roles that are not stereotypical.

6. CSmith

Ratings:
    +213
    It took me a while to go back and watch Star Trek. I was young when it was on and wasn't interested in it back then. Now I watch a ton of Sci Fi so I find myself going back and watching things like the X-Files, Star Trek, Stargate etc.

I watched the first season of Warehouse 13. After that I lost interest, but catch an episode every now and then.
    Sad that SyFy won't do a 3rd season, but SyFy has a habit of sabotaging their Sci Fi shows...

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I think you will like Pacific Rim.

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Did you see the latest Star Trek? It was ok.not enough of us for my taste. Zoe Saldana as Uhuru and her boyfriend was the Spock character.

9. CSmith

Ratings:
    +213
    Yeah, I seen it. It was decent. I agree, there should be more of us, but only if they get decent roles. I'm not sure if I like the first one or this most recent one better.

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    From the time I was forced to watch the original Frankenstein