Black People : BLACK REPUBLICAN CONSERVATIVES:WHAT THEIR SUBSTANTIVE CONTRIBUTIONS TO BLACK AMERICA?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    No need for me to be long-winded and wordy... The question speaks for itself... I would like to hear from the Black Conservative folk who frequent this site, what are the real and substantive contributions of Black Conservatives to the advancement and upliftment of African communities in the United States??? I ask this question because it is important in determining whether Black Conservative arguments at this board are substantive or just plain antagonistic...

For the record, that would not include individual achievements, such as being appointed to the President's cabinet, or other plush jobs, as Black Progressives have done same... It would, also, not include the writting of books, personal appearances on talk shows, or guest editorials in your local newspaper, as those are individual achievements, achievemnts which again, Black Progressives have, themselves, achieved...

I am talking about the passing of legislation to advance the lives of African Americans, and other Americans, or fighting to maintain existing laws which were enacted to protect all Americans from the depredations of the majority.
    I am talking about the building businesses and other institutions that employ and advance African Americans into the future...

I am, also, interested to know if Black Republicans have any original and innovative thoughts of their own, as most of what I hear from them seems to be the regurgitated, dogmatic pre-packaged screeds of White Republican Conservatives??? If not, WHY should African Americans continue to listen to you any more than we would your friends, Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms, and Trent Lott??? The floor is yours, and no personal attacks...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15

I am have no political affiliation but in terms of contributions to the black community there pretty much is no difference between black conservative republicans and black liberal democrats, neither has done much if anything.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Big O, Congressmen, Adam Clayton Powell, jr of Harlem was the author of more than 60 bills passed in Congress between 1958 and 1964, and these bills include the Fair Employment, Housing, and Education, and early Affirmative Action legislation... Reverend Powell was a liberal progressive democrat

Recent Repartions legislation passed in Chicago was spearheaded by Dorothy Tillman, former civil rights activist, and a liberal progressive democrat... NYC is about to pass the same kind of legislation, and it was authored by a liberal progressive democrat, Councilman Charles Barron...

Far be it from me to defend these liberal democrats, Big O, but it would seem that if all you can say is that "neither has done much of anything", "anything" needs to be amended to "nothing" for Black Republican conservatives... Indeed, that appears to be the the BRC's agenda, to do nothing but sit around and criticize Black Progressives... That appears to be their "greatest" achievement, their claim to fame, the smearing of other Black folks, and proof of that is the fact that we cannot name a single thing they've actually done other than that...

Again, what is the point of their existence other than to simply antagonize other Black folks??? Is that healthy, or is that disruptive to the progress and forward movement of our community to have such people in our midst???

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'd imagine that Black Republican Conservatives would like to believe that their existance serves to motivate "poor" and "underachieving" blacks to improve themselves. However, their individualism gives no one the resources to improve themselves. I see Black Republican Conservatives only contributing to empty rhetoric & racist propoganda. But I'd like to hear some ellaborate on exactly how they contribute to the black community (not American society).

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't understand how a black person or any person of color could ever be a Republican. Everything Republicans stand for goes against laws, programs, etc. that would benefit the black community. And since Bush went into office... man.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,729
    their role is to destroy blacks.
    they do nothing positive.

do you remember the south African necklace?

7. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    This major civil rights advance -- what we now know as the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution -- is a purely Republican achievement, because every single Democrat in Congress voted against the 14th Amendment. That is another fact deftly omitted from American history textbooks these days: we owe our Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of the laws and due process to Republicans, and this bedrock of American civil rights was unanimously opposed by the Democrats.

Three years later, in 1869, the Republicans proposed yet another constitutional amendment, this one specifically guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. The same partisanship was in evidence: 98% of Republicans voted for it; 97% of the Democrats voted against it.

Republicans led the fight for women’s voting rights -- and the Democrats, as a party, opposed civil rights for women. All of the leading suffragists -- including Susan B. Anthony, Lucretia Mott, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton -- were Republicans. In fact, Susan B. Anthony bragged, after leaving the voting booth, that she had voted for “the Republican ticket -- straight.”

The suffragists included two African-American Republican women who were also co-founders of the NAACP: Ida Wells and Mary Terrell, great leaders of our party, both of them.

The first women delegates to a national party convention did not go to the Democratic National Convention, they went to the Republican Convention. In fact, for years Democrats kept women out, while Republicans were letting women in.

One of the great Southern leaders of that era who was openly calling himself a Republican and drawing attention to his cause was Booker T. Washington, the famed educator and founder of Alabama’s Tuskegee Institute. But even a man as distinguished as this, and even in the 20th century, was opposed by a still-racist Democratic Party. When Republican President Teddy Roosevelt had the temerity to invite Booker T. Washington to dine with him in the White House, the Democrats raised holy hell through the media. They said it was a scandal, and outrageous, and an atrocity.

The Democrats weren’t just internally conflicted about the 1964 Civil Rights Act; a significant number of them actually filibustered it -- preventing an up or down vote on the bill. Eventually, however -- thanks to Dirksen’s leadership -- this landmark legislation did get the vote it deserved. As with all of the previous civil rights legislation in our nation’s history, it passed with significantly more support from Republicans than from Democrats. The same was true for the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which became law the following year.

http://policy.house.gov/html/news_item.cfm?id=184

Everything from this web sight can be easily checked up on. Republicans for the most part are for a smaller less intrusive gov. Democrates want to be our Big Brother, since us normal folks aren't smart enough to take care of ourselves. I for one don't need to be taken care of, we've have done very well for ourselves in the last 100 years and we need to be proud of those achevements. Look how far we've come in just the last 50 years!!!!

8. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Here's some more information on JFK and his commitment to civil rights, or lack of commitment.

http://www.congresslink.org/print_basics_histmats_civilrights64text.htm

As a presidential campaigner in 1960, Kennedy largely avoided the civil rights issue for basically political reasons. Although he endorsed some kind of federal action, he could not afford to antagonize southern Democrats whose support he desperately needed to defeat Republican candidate Richard M. Nixon. In outlining the most important issues for the campaign early in 1960, Kennedy ignored civil rights rather than jeopardize his political support.

After his election in November 1960, the new President failed to suggest any new civil rights proposals in 1961 or 1962, again for political reasons. He needed southern support in Congress for his other foreign and domestic programs. It was particularly risky to introduce specific civil rights legislation in the Senate. The Senate filibuster rule made it possible for a minority of senators to prevent passage and to obstruct other Senate business. To overcome this obstacle, 67 members would have to support some version of civil rights legislation and vote to end the inevitable filibuster. It was difficult for the Kennedy administration to propose a bill without considering carefully the politics of congressional passage.

The filibuster forces knew that they faced a long and tiring battle. Their opponents had anticipated and planned for the filibuster. In fact, Humphrey personally opened full-fledged debate on the civil rights bill on March 30 with a three hour, eleven-minute speech from a 68 page speech of his own in defense of H. R. 7152. Both Humphrey and Thomas Kuchel (R-CA), Senate Minority Whip gathered enough senators together so that at any time a quorum call came up, the pro-civil rights forces could answer it. Northerners also combated the "southern bloc" by answering southerners' criticisms of the bill on the floor rather than simply letting the filibusterers speak indefinitely without response. To respond to the organized opposition, southerners formed a platoon system composed of three six- member filibuster teams. When one team had the floor for the filibuster, the other two would rest and then prepare to take turns speaking on the floor.

The Republican Party was not so badly split as the Democrats by the civil rights issue. Only one Republican senator participated in the filibuster against the bill. In fact, since 1933, Republicans had a more positive record on civil rights than the Democrats. In the twenty-six major civil rights votes since 1933, a majority of Democrats opposed civil rights legislation in over 80 % of the votes. By contrast, the Republican majority favored civil rights in over 96 % of the votes.

9. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    The things that Adam Clayton Powell did was 40 years ago and the reparations bill is a pipe dream they cant even get some congressmen to agree to give black people an official apology for all the injustices our people had to indure so dont hold your breath waiting for reparations.

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Indya, the historical information you've presented above is true to a great extent, but what did BLACK CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS - or even wHITE CONSEVATIVE REPUBLICANS - have to do with it??? African Americans were, then, just out of slavery, and held ZERO elective offices, and the white republicans(the only republicans, then) were called - read this, Indya - RADICAL REPUBLICANS, not CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS...

Indya, I repeat, I asked for contributions to Black America sponsored by CONSERVATIVE BLACK REPUBLICANS - the ones who talk so much, and do absolutely nothing but help themselves to the fruits of struggle achieved by the very same people they trash... Again, Indya, BLACK CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS, what are their contributions to the upliftment of African American communities around the United States?

Oceolo, Dorothy Tillman's legislation has already yeilded fruits, as earlier this year, J.P. Morgan was forced to part with at least 5-million dollars in scholarships to the families of children down in Louisiana... Now, I admit that's chump change compared to what we're owed, good brother, but it is 5-million dollars more than what Black Republicans have secured for anybody... So my beloved brother, it is neither 40 years ago, nor a pipe dream to say that one side is kinda kicking the other's *** in terms of real contributions to the upliftment of our communities... I wanna know why you and Indya so consistently defend a LOSING PROPOSITION???(smile!) I mean, I'm kind of an iconoclast myself, have been since I was a kid, but I don't go around trumpeting bull**** causes, man... It just aint my steelo...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah