Black People : BLACK REPARATIONS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oceolo, Apr 30, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Will black people ever get paid sufficient recompense for slavery?

The answer unfortunately is no because a lot of white people believe that the Civil War was payment enough because of all the white people that died and suffered during the war,but black people also suffered and died so that isnt a good excuse. There are some white people that think that because slavery ended over 100 years ago they shouldn't be held responible and we should get over it ,which I find ridiculous because black people lived in what amounted to apartheid in this country since the end of the war until we were given legal equality with whites in the late 1960's,but we still face racism in a myriad of ways today.

The wealth and economy of this country was built on slave labor in fact Wall Street the economic center of the country was named after an actual wall that used to run along the street where slaves were lined up against when they were being bought and sold like commodities.

The U.S. would never have become the superpower it is now if not for the contributions of black people and it will never live up to the true meaning of its credo until it pays its debts to black people.

2. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    Oppression is no respecter of persons, although the BIG payback is what I lack!

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

Everything you've stated is right & exact!

Congress refuses to even look at the bill. I feel that we will recieve Reparations not monetarily, but the way it is already written & has been written since man-kind first appeared on the scene.

- To pay us monetarily, to them would be a lose/lose situation. In their mind THEY SAY "why should WE pay for work our ancestors took for FREE & got away with it for so long??? This is why the most you will ever get is an apology from Clinton, or the late Pope which means nothing.

- As one of their sayings goes "Action speaks louder than words", yet when it comes to them following their own logic or being pressed on an issue, all of a sudden LAWS START CHANGING!!!!!!!

peace

4. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4

I agree but it is still hard to consider this a big issuse when we still have reports today of Blacks still having slaves in places like the Sudan a 100 years after here.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    how does slavery in the Sudan impact reparations in the US?

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace,

I'd like to know the answer to this as well???????????????????

& when you talk about the Sudan, please explain who is in CONTROL of the slavery behind the scenes & not just mention the black fall men & women!!!

- "SSDD"......................

peace

7. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Because it makes it hard to complain about the slavery 100 years ago and say how wrong it was when we still are doing it today ourselves. Is this because there is no talk about money in it for us or we really don’t care about slavery past or present unless we can figure a way to get something out of it? Are we such puppets that we are being made to have slaves? There seems to be about 10 times more interest in what happened in the past than the current slavery. It makes it a lot harder to have a case for past slavery by the white man if blacks are still doing it now and don’t seem to care as much. Or we hold the white man to such high standards it is only wrong when he does it. Whites don’t want to hear about slavery that happened 100 years ago but we don’t want to hear about what is happening now. It seems some have taken on the white’s greed and selfishness. Why would some think slavery 100 years ago is 10 times worse than it happening today?
    It’s just like Black on Black crime; there is no excuse for it. But some will always complain we are just too weak not to be puppets and we are made to do it.
    Everybody may disagree on the cause but this issue should be getting a lot more attention to stop slavery period. Unless of course you think people will ignore it and it will hurt our chance of getting something.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    you are aware that Sudan is a different country than the US?

is it actually your position that any black man doing something wrong anywhere around the world invalidates the call for reparations in the US?
    do you apply the same standard to the Asians who got reparations and the Jews who got reparations?

were they perfect people?

9. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I think every black man/woman in Congress should be pushing for some form of reparations and keep the heat on the White House until this matter is taken care of.

We need to stop looking at America as if we as black people don't belong here.
    This is OUR country as much as or more than anyone else here.

Infact, while most white people in this country are descended from European immigrants who came here no earlier than 1900...the vast majority of black people in this nation have roots going back nearly 200 years.

Now that we have some political clout, I predict that we'll get reparations when we decide to GIVE OURSELVES reparations.

10. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    This has been gone over on so many other threads. I'll just point something out, again. Also, since we've already argued over this till my face turned blue, I wont be back so don't ask any questions of me.

The jews and Asians who received reparations were the ACTUAL people who had the injustice done to them. The money was only given to SURVIVORS, not their children or decendents. So, since there is no one living today who was a slave in the US, unless you can find someone 140 yrs old, than the argument about Jews and Asians doesn't work. Find another example.