Black People : Black reparations convention in D.C.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Jerry01, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Jerry01

Jerry01 Member MEMBER

Electronic Technician
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomorow, here in Houston, the City Hall agenda will address Black Reparations.It's be there or be square. I'll be there. I'm already pumped up for the August 17 gathering in Washington D.C. I think this event will be the catapult to propel Black economics to another dimension. I'm doing everything I can in my community to generate interest for this project. What are you doing, do you intend to go. What do you think about the event?

2. Jerry01

Jerry01 Member MEMBER

Electronic Technician
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rosetta: It's never nonsense when Black folk come together to address a cause they consider important. Had if not been for the right to convene where would blacks folks be. Had it not been for a show of unity where would black folk be. Had black folk not
    protested, boycotted, and marched we would still be sitting in the back of the bus. hanging from sycamore trees, and attending school in a one room shack. Black men would still be afraid to look white women in their eyes for fear of them yelling rape. Black women would still have to bear the burden of a white man's assault for lack of a legal defense. Just a little reminder, this country has never given Blacks anything they didn't fight and sometimes die for.

Should this country consider Blacks a national threst, so be it, what else is new. We've survived the front of View Nam, the crack cocaine epdemic, the first fired last hired syndrome, police brutality and social injustice on every level. Still we rise.

Insofar as the reparation party not accomplishing anything, I say
    shoot for the moon. If you land on the stars shoot again. you'll
    be much closer from whence you came.

3. Jerry01

Jerry01 Member MEMBER

Electronic Technician
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this medium lends itself very well to a debate therefore I don't think it is practical to continue the path we are on. This forum was never intended to dabate the issue of reparation but to offer an opinion. I don't know, perhaps the two run concurrently and you can't do the one without getting caught up in the other. Personal attacks aside, I appreciate your opinion and agree with you that the world image of America played a major role on programs instituted on the behalf of Blacks. Although we differ greately regarding public protest. I do not beleive that random protest have left the African American community at deaths door,I think it is the method by which Blacks as a people have attained what little they have accomplished.

Thanks for the website you submitted. By the way, Mayor Lee Brown resolution for reparation was defeated by the Houston City Council by a vote of 8-7. The attendance was standing room only, and though the reparation measure was defeated there was many positives that derived from that session.