Black People : Black Progress Think Tank

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    OK Brothers and Sisters, this needs to be a positive and unifying thread. It's about actionable ideas and the setting of realistic, obtainable goals and a time frame for accomplishing those goals. It's about identifying problems and determining a path to a solution. It's about identifying the roll that you and I can play in progressing towards that solution, not about what "somebody" should do, or what "they" should do, it's about what "I" can do.

Most of us are great at attacking the ideas and ideology of others, but draw a blank when it comes to submitting actionable ideas of our own. We are worse still when it comes to being a part of a given solution.

I would hope that this thread can remain pure to the spirit of progress with honor to those who have gone before us and done the heavy lifting and prepared the way for our progress as a people.

Please limit your post to:
    Ideas
    Goals
    Problem identification
    paths to solutions
    and other simular post

Please avoid:
    Attacking the ideas of others (If you dissagree, state why without making it personal)
    Whinning
    Negativity
    Personal Attacks

Lets demonstate that we have the ability to colaborate with our brothers and sisters for the cause of progress.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    First let me say this a great thread and one which i find positive and helpful
    in the effort which i push and have great respect for and our people
    i've seen where we didn't agree yet continue to work toward the best solution
    this will as well let me see the harmony of us colaborating , I will be back to address
    this properly...................Thank you brother Full Speed truely.

3. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    IMO, some of the problems we need to deal with are the dissimilarity of "normal" between ourselves and other racial groups inwhich we co-exist. As an example, our high school drop out rate should be simular to that of other racial groups. Our incarceration rate should be simular, our unemployment rate should be simular.

Obviously, in any given society, there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who are incarcerated, are unemployed, drop out of high school, become entrepreneurs, start businesses, etc. etc. etc. There will be a "norm" for any given society. For us to measure our health or condition as a people, we would need to know how far above or below the "norm" we are. Once we identify what's the "norm" or what's acceptable, we can identify problem areas and develop solutions.

As an example, we know the national unemployment rate is currently about 9.2% but the unemployment rate for African Americans 15.9% while Whites are at 8.1%, asians are at 7.7. For 16 -19 year olds, the rate for Whites 23% while for Blacks its 39.2%

So from there we can set our goals and develop a path to those goals as well as a time frame to acchieving those goals. We can also set benchmarks along the way.

4. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    So, we can say the current norm for unemployment is 9.2% so we are 6.7% over norm. That's the easy part, we have identified the problem. Now we need to identify a path to a solution and establish a time frame and benchmarks. We also know that the biggest discrepancy exist between our 16 -19 year olds, so it appears that our younger people are more directly effected by this problem.

So, what can we do to put more of our young people to work?

Well we need people willing to hire them...and we need them to be employable.

Yesterday, while traveling on business, I visited two businesses in Natchez, Ms and talked with the owner/manager about business conditions. They were both Black men, one the owner and the other a manager at a francise. The owner told me that business was slow because there were a lack of jobs around that city. The Manager told me that he needed more good employees. He said that he go through a lot of people who want a check, but don't want to WORK. So, he said, he has a constant shortage of "Good" employees.

5. Ave

Ave New Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm 19 and I truly believe in order to progress as a group we must all place emphasis on personal achievement. I think we're already employable just some of us aren't motivated to invest the energy due to the effects of decades of social neglect on our psyche. A lot of us young people neglect ourselves but we do it because we have no reason not to. So in order to motivate us, we simply need more access to resources such as role models and affordable education so we can have physical evidence that hard work will lead to success.

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Headed in the right direction, if we structure the facts and surround ourselves around
    what is happening in our communities we could improve the and bridge the gap between
    other racial groups and lower the numbers...

One idea.... is to first get out and talk to our youth build a community foundation or a
    work program so people can and know how to go out for a job / while this will be a huge
    focus to bring more jobs in, we have to be ready for them

A good solution to this would be to motivate as many as possible the great need to work
    stablize there self for the future and set themselves a standard goal and reach for it !

We have to stop crippling our youth with impacts that they are the problem and show them
    leadership in the community / after school programs at the local YMAC / to teach history of
    great leaders another solution is to show them whom are fatherless the fatherly love/
    be a role model in the community so youth could look up to you and not the yen/yan man

Most of all speak about the importance of staying in school and why it's important is an idea
    another solution is we could even structure a on line youth class right here on different
    subjects from working to history and motivation as well determination.

I'll be adding more workable ideas and solution on other levels we need to address.

7. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    What I have been trying to do is get people interested in what I do,and other fields of engineering. I have a PC set up at home that I show those that want to know. I show them what Autocad is and what it does. I also walk the thru designing a corridor (road) with a curve. Many get scared off when they see the math. So I try and no really focus on that. But you really can't get away from it. Out of 40 people,I've had 3 to go into some type of engineering field. 3 is better than zero.

Peace!

8. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I take back how I felt about this comment. Who know what these three may go on to do.

Peace!

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Again this where we can build a working outlet /A on line class and get our communities involved
    in these classes we could show them the pros and cons speak and bring in positive guest speakers
    this would be a good start ......just an idea that would bring solutions on some of the issues many
    of our people face with no outlet or very limited resources.

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    I am not good or efficient at digging up old posts but I do recall you asking for this, in your second week here and i provided 8 resources with references and links, of solutions plans ideologies and the impetus for what Dr Amos Wilson called a "Black Think Tank of r progress"
    what happened to that info?