Black People : Black ppl dont do "countryside"

gimme_a_sec

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 17, 2006
or do they???

See im from the UK where we have much-love english, beautiful countryside (although i know thes US has some fine examples too). Believe or ont i was raised in the country since my last years of primary education so im familiar with steppin on cow's mess and jumping over fences and riding thru fields and walkin hills and valleys and jumpin stream and ting. But my fam was one of the few who weren't white.

this has affected my outlook no doubt and these days u wont find this brotha in the gym with the rest pumping serious iron, or on the running track or in the football field. this wierd unusual brotha's main sport is....cross-country trekking. it is starting to become a regular occurence to find me up on some mountain range in any given part of europe battling against snow and ting...and actually still enjoying it! i've only ever known 2 other proper black trekkers in my life. and thats only bcus our sport bought us togther like that. and we all wonder why the countryside in general whether it be forests, lakes, valleys or mountians, seem to be filled with those who are not black.

is the countryside and its outdoor persuits really only for the white guys?

considering the black race comes from an astoundingly wonderous continent of such natural beauty where our ancestors knew their land and explored it so much. and dont quote me the dudes in the south US who livbe near the swaps, im talkin about all these brothas and sistas in new york and jersey and san fran and LA and whatever. in any given city u'll find nuff white guys going out into countrysides so why not us? is it finance? or attitude? lack of adveenture? other priorities? Social conditioning?

is the modern black man an urban-dweller by default?

jus' scribblin.

just to say this thread has been posted somewhere else, for the responses in full please check:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=407574

have some interesting thoughts from radical faith and Black lioness.

Blaklioness said:
I would think it's partly socialization. It's also getting bogged down in life and simply not making time to get away. Although I wouldn't classify myself as a trecker (aka hiker), I have frequently gone for extensive walks in the mountains and at the ocean. I also like to take whale watching excursions. You may not be quite alone as you think.

see i think socialization or even social conditioning has something to do with it. I was talking to a friend about this who at first played the racist card and said "oh the only reason black ppl avoid the countryside is bcus white folks who occupy it dont wanna see them there and make an effor to keep them out." i wasn't convinced by this argument, not bcus i dont believe racism doesnt exist in the country but bcus i think it only has a minimal role to play. Between myself and my trekking buddies, we've never expereinced this and and regularly meet ppl of other races all the time on our excursions.

Radical Faith said:
I think in the inner cities simply there are too many good reasons why children are not exposed to the outdoor life. The main reason is with the drastic number of single parents many parents can't afford to send there children to summer camps in the wilderness. Also these are dangerous times for children. With abductions and molestations more prevalent the childs safety is a major concern. Also this is the MTV/BET generation it just doesn't interest children to go to the woods. Finally with the advent of sophisicated computer and video games, vitual reality has become children's passion. Now days it would be good to see children outside playing a game of football and baseball own their own with being a part of organized sports.

Brotha faith picks up on something here about the changing times and generational gaps and the rest of ur post was much appreciated, I hope ur children are really blessed by the experience of camping and ting and carry it thru the rest of thier lives. start 'em young! ;)

but then im wondirng if its deeper than that as perhaps we could apply the theory to the white folks too. all children of all races in the US and UK are being exposed to the gang and post-modern youth cultures and its values that are far away from the country. But white dudes still make it out there. so wassup with us? specifically?

See in my experience, the majority of brothas n sistas react to my outdoor excursions with more distaste than enthusiam. two ppl have said to me " eh? wat u doing that for? u dont find black ppl going up mountians, black peeps just dont do that, leave that to the white guys" to quote but a few not-so-positive comments. my white friend's reaction, coincidentally enuff, is majoritvely positive and things like "wow, wish i was coming". i dunno but im startin to see a pattern. oh and to clarify, im not talkin about trekkin specifically here, could be any number or outdoor persuits (canooeing, rowing, fell-running, hill-walking, mountaineering, camping, tramping, backpacking, off-road biking, orienteering)

one freind of mine said : "maybe us black ppl just dont like the cold"

lol. but seriously, is there somehting deeper and more fundamental to this?

Well, I like being in the "countryside" and before I met my current partner, I had never met a Black man who liked being out in nature, just lazing about, walking, hiking, or soaking up the great outdoors.

Last fall, we went to VA, parked along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah valley and hiked along the Appalachian trail there for miles. There were a bunch of people hiking out there but not a single Black person. There were Black people driving along Skyline drive though.

That's cool.......there's nothing better to me than getting out in the woods,up in the mountains, out on the ocean and just enjoying it.....a lot of Black folk don't get into that whold deal.....I hunt ,fish and used to trap before I moved to CA now I still hunt a bit but fish more...the Bay and Ocean .....and it's rare to see a Brother out there getting after it .......I think that as we migrated from the South to the big cities we shook the outdoors off and became more in tune with city life .......it's one of the things we're losing as a people ....when I was a kid my Daddy and I were members in an all Black hunting club and it was one of 5 or 6 in our general area...man those were the best times I ever had..........the outdoors has so much to show us and teach us it's a shame we don't (as a whole) get out and enjoy it more...oh well though to each his/her own........Good to see there are some folks on here that love the outdoors like I do though.....

MississippiRed

Riada said:
Last fall, we went to VA, parked along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah valley and hiked along the Appalachian trail there for miles. There were a bunch of people hiking out there but not a single Black person. There were Black people driving along Skyline drive though.

lol...maybe most of our guys like it air-conditioned when they go.

but wow! its so good to know that u peeps are doing ya thing still. very encouraging. its up to us guys to keep this kinda thing going so keep it up bro's and sis's.

If there are any more outdoors peeps out there drop a post please, but i'd also like to hear from those who dont persue the outdoors - whatever the situation. tell us why? lack of interest? priorities and commitments? fear? busy? just not ur thang?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back