Black ppl dont do "country side"

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by gimme_a_sec, Mar 16, 2006.

1. gimme_a_sec

gimme_a_sec Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    or are there???

See im from the UK where we have much-love english, beautiful countryside (although i know thes US has some fine examples too). Believe or ont i was raised in the country since my last years of primary education so im familiar with steppin on cow's mess and jumping over fences and riding thru fields and walkin hills and valleys and jumpin stream and ting. But my fam was one of the few who weren't white.

this has affected my outlook no doubt and these days u wont find this brotha in the gym with the rest pumping serious iron, or on the running track or in the football field. this wierd unusual brotha's main sport is....cross-country trekking. it is starting to become a regular occurence to find me up on some mountain range in any given part of europe battling against snow and ting...and actually still enjoying it! i've only ever known 2 other proper black trekkers in my life. and thats only bcus our sport bought us togther like that. and we all wonder why the countryside in general whether it be forests, lakes, valleys or mountians, seem to be filled with those who are not black.

is the countryside and its outdoor persuits really only for the white guys?

considering the black race comes from an astoundingly wonderous continent of such natural beauty where our ancestors knew their land and explored it so much. and dont quote me the dudes in the south US who livbe near the swaps, im talkin about all these brothas and sistas in new york and jersey and san fran and LA and whatever. in any given city u'll find nuff white guys going out into countrysides so why not us? is it finance? or attitude? lack of adveenture? other priorities?

is the mordern black man an urban-dweller by default?

jus' scribblin.

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I would think it's partly socialization. It's also getting bogged down in life and simply not making time to get away. Although I wouldn't classify myself as a trecker (aka hiker), I have frequently gone for extensive walks in the mountains and at the ocean. I also like to take whale watching excursions. You may not be quite alone as you think.

3. gimme_a_sec

Ratings:
    +0
    oh believe me - in europe i am. but good to see a peep gettin out there. either way i suppose i have my theories on the socialization of black ppl being a strong factor but i'll wait to see wat others say.

anyone else??

4. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hello Gimme a Sec

I don't think I've welcomed you here to Destee so welcome Brother. Good to see. I was born and raised in Chicago most of my life but I was also an Army Brat. My father was in when I was younger so I was provided a chance to travel as a child. I can say even though I spent a good amount of time in the city me Dad won't pack up the family up and we would go camping in Wisconsin and Minnesota. I have very fond memories of this because I got to see and do what most of my peers will never do or see. This stuck with me so I rather enjoyed being in the country. Since then I have made my home in North Carolina when I am about a 2 hour drive from the Mountains. My son is enough the age where soon we will go on camping excursions to bond as father and son and conquer nature.

I think in the inner cities simply there are too many good reasons why children are not exposed to the outdoor life. The main reason is with the drastic number of single parents many parents can't afford to send there children to summer camps in the wilderness. Also these are dangerous times for children. With abductions and molestations more prevalent the childs safety is a major concern. Also this is the MTV/BET generation it just doesn't interest children to go to the woods. Finally with the advent of sophisicated computer and video games, vitual reality has become children's passion. Now days it would be good to see children outside playing a game of football and baseball own their own with being a part of organized sports.

Times have certainly changed. When children no longer have exposure to outside they soon lose interest. Going outside has a different purpose. Children that grow up this way never have a need to expore the wilderness. Although many brothers and sisters are getting into skiing and with vacations to the Carribean Islands or West Indies scuba driving has made it's way into Black culture. The bottom line is we have to find ways to enjoy ourselves outside of what we do normally. Part of exercising our liberty is doing new and different things simply because we can. I commend the trekking spirit in you. I have that same spirit and will get back to exercising it more here in the near future. I especially would like to take up mountain biking. This would be something me and my son can easily share thoughout our lives....

Peace....

5. gimme_a_sec

Ratings:
    +0
    ok, not sure if this is ok or not but im transfering this discussion to the Open forum as not sure its in the right forum. I feel this one goes a lil deeper than simply health and fitness. Thanks for those who offered their views. I hope you will continue to join in on the open forum.

cheers ;).

6. gimme_a_sec

Ratings:
    +0