Black Positive People : Black Power: Black man sets out to take back black hair care industry

in other words, you cannot deal with the moral issues involved here…..

In other words, you are shallow with recommendations to liberate us from the belly of the beast. In other words, you insist on playing games. In other words, Khasm13 called you on it, and your reply is a DEAD GIVEAWAY to what I'm saying....

After eight long years of planning, Tyrone Barge is tapping into the Black hair care industry.

Barge made contact with a Korean distributor of a popular line of hair, only to be told that they don’t sell to Black people wholesale.

“He told me it would be bad for business if they sold the hair to Black people wholesale because we are their biggest consumers. His insult gave me the motivation to develop my own hair product,” Barge recalled.

When I first starting reading, I was looking at the OP sideways. Why? Because I'm thinking: "Koreans won't... not "can't" but won't.... SELL to black wholesaler/distributors!!! That's where black entrepreneurs always get stuck - middlemen (man between the factory/makers and the customer who walks into the door) are the ones who decide what we get/purchase (hair, books, clothes, food, darn near everything!) and what never reaches the black consumer market (think of all the movies you "hear" about but NEVER come to your local theatre, or even of food, e.g., fruits/veggies, that aren't sold at your local store, the African print that you have to get in your car and drive halfway across town because it's not mass-marketed, sold in only ONE store).

What this brutha is doing is beautiful! Ole boy is saying, I, black man, will decide what hair product will come into the MY community.... and MY community will reap the rewards on it at EVERY step - from customer to beautician/stylist to beauty shop owner, to black ME! That he circumvented the Koreans in phenomenal! Others have tried and received the exact same answer as he - "we don't sell to black distributors (middlemen); we keep that black gold source of income in our Korean family." Unlike the many others who gave up, however, bruth-man said there's more than one way to skin a cat.... and went to China. :lol:

Some blacks detest weaves (for many reasons), others luv 'em, but the fact remains - black women spend BILLIONS each and every year on fake hair. The money they're spending, however, is NOT 'fake.' Luv 'em or hate 'em, I'm with the brutha: keep that money at home, circulating through OUR community. I cannot put into words how IMPRESSED I am with brother Tyrone! :1luvu:

the indians are making money because it's their hair

This is not true. Indian women who sell their hair are DIRT-poor. The Indian woman whose hair is used in a $300-$500 weave prolly got no more than $10 or $15 for it. Some don't get a dime! I saw this program where in some temple in India, the monks, whateva, once a year shave their hundreds, maybe even thousands of women members' heads, bundle the shaved hair and sell it to American middlemen/distributors. When one recently shaved woman was informed of the monks' practice, she looked stunned, then said she didn't care - the money went to the temple.

i think we should not sell garbage to our sisters.

the explanations that folk are giving here are the same as the pimp and the dealer will give.
if it's wrong, it's wrong. we should not praise some pimp selling asian hair to our sisters.
we should not let the allure of money blind us to moral issues.

to me a pimp is a pimp.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back