Black Positive People : Black Power: 4 Black-owned TV networks up and running and 2 more are on the way!

Knowledge Seed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 22, 2008
Atlanta, GA
When Bounce TV debuted this week, it became the first-ever broadcast television network for African Americans. But by the end of the year, it is quite possible that Bounce TV won’t be the only one.

TV industry sources say Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios has been shopping around KIN TV, a new multicast network targeting an African-American audience.

KIN TV will offer a “wide range of programming designed to entertain, inform and inspire a broad audience of modern African-American viewers,” according to a video presentation that TVNewsCheck found on the Internet.

The service is overdue. The video says it would launch in the summer of 2011. MGM officials declined to comment for this story.

MGM is an established player in the diginet business. One of the strongest contenders in the diginet space is This TV, the joint venture of MGM Entertainment and Chicago-based Weigel Broadcasting. Launched in 2008, This TV reaches 85.6% of U.S. TV homes with top MGM movies and classic TV shows.

MGM also handles distribution for Weigel Broadcasting’s Me-TV, a diginet offering classic TV sitcom and dramas, which rolled out nationally last December. It's cleared in 62% of TV homes, and now available in more than 50%, according to Me-TV's Neal Sabin.
MGM is reportedly partnering with Lee Gaither, a media consultant and former TV executive. According to Gaither’s LinkedIn profile, he is president/CEO of KIN TV.

Gaither, who now runs Basil Street Media, a media production and consulting company, helped launch the African American cable network, TV One, and is a former NBC Universal programming executive. He did not immediately return TVNewsCheck’s call.

Click here for more info

Bounce TV, KIN TV and the titan of all Black television, BET, will get a little friendly competition from the newest African-American network on the block: Soul of the South Network.

SSN is “a 24-hour regional broadcast network targeting African-Americans viewers in the South, will launch in the first quarter of 2012 offering entertainment, sports, and cultural programming along with 5 hours of live news daily,” according to the press release.

Unlike BET, Soul of the South Network boasts five hours of daily news starting with ”a two-hour morning news show based in Atlanta, a one-hour evening news broadcast and ‘Capitol Eye,’ an additional half-hour hosted news and opinion show focusing on Southern capitals and politics.”

“I’m so proud to lead the launch of Soul of the South, which will be the first broadcast network to speak directly to the lives and values of the more than 20 million African-Americans living in the South,” says Edwin V. Avent, Chairman/CEO, Soul of the South. “We have met with stations in over 50 markets during our road show across the South and they are all excited by our concept of a regional African-American television network.”

click here for more info

Black power !!!

Here's a productive stance to our uplifting while we down-size it with lack
in support to it's rising cause , this right here makes my stance stronger in
our poor judgement to where we should apply our empowerment.

I'm happy that we are making marks in the network /media world for us
giving us something and not have to feed into all the whitewash medias

Thankz for sharing this and making it's awareness abroad

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back