Black History Culture : Black People Wrongfully Convicted

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Destee, May 9, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

I recently saw this program on A&E, American Justice, where a Brother, Ronald Cotton, was convicted of raping a white woman in 1984. Convicted only on her word, her eye witness testimony. He was given LIFE plus 54 years. Due to DNA testing, he was exonerated after spending 11 years in prison. The white woman said she was sorry for the mistake.

Here are links to his story:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dna/

http://www.innocenceproject.org/case/display_profile.php?id=06

I thought it would be a good idea for us to start a thread on such cases. As we learn of them, we should post them in this thread, along with a link to the story if possible.

I know there are so many more like situations. This is the justice we get.

Let's show each other, let's show the world. Let's lift these Sisters and Brothers up.

:heart:

Destee

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
  3. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS? FIVE THOUSAND, is that all. I was thinking millions.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Neil Miller

Neil Miller was convicted of raping a white woman in 1990, given 26-45 years, and served 10 years, before being exonerated and released due to DNA testing.

The state of Massachusetts, where he was convicted, does not expunge the records of the wrongfully convicted. Nor do they financially compensate for such situations. The white woman that was allegedly raped, who provided the only evidence against him, did send him a letter 2 years after he was released, saying she regretted that he had become a "second victim."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/burden/profiles/miller.html

Destee

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Geronimo Pratt. Wrongfully convincted of murder.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
  7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is not true. He was also convicted on the testimony of a criminologist and after he was finally released this same DNA evidence was later used to convict his brother.

8. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243

In 1999, the Chicago Tribune did a series on prosecutorial misconduct. The articles are posted at http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~critcrim/wrong/tribpros10.html. The introduction to the series begins as follows:

The verdict: Dishonor

By Ken Armstrong and Maurice Possley

Tribune Staff Writers

Source: The Chicago Tribune, 10 January, 1999

"With impunity, prosecutors across the country have violated their oaths and the law, committing the worst kinds of deception in the most serious of cases.

"They have prosecuted black men, hiding evidence the real killers were white. They have prosecuted a wife, hiding evidence her husband committed suicide. They have prosecuted parents, hiding evidence their daughter was killed by wild dogs.

"They do it to win.

"They do it because they won't get punished.

"They have done it to defendants who came within hours of being executed, only to be exonerated."

In my home state (Illinois) 12 men have been released from death row in the past 8-10 years, some of them due to the discovery of prosecutorial misconduct by (of all people) JOURNALISM STUDENTS who were working on a class project. One case was so flagrant (defendants Rolando Cruz and Alejandro Hernandez) that it resulted in the resignation of a homicide detective who kept telling his superiors and prosecutors that they had the wrong men. Later on an assistant state attorney general who was assigned to argue the case in the appellate court on behalf of the prosecution reviewed the evidence, concluded that Cruz and Hernandez were innocent, and withdrew from the case. She later resigned in protest after she was ordered to proceed with the appeal anyway.

That's why I have no faith in crime statistics, and neither should anybody else.

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I Spent 16 Years in Jail for a Crime I Didn't Commit. Here's What Should be Done

I went to jail as a teenager for a rape and murder I didn't commit. Here are the reforms necessary to make sure it does not happen again.

By Jeffrey Deskovic, AlterNet
    Posted September 16, 2008

I was wrongfully convicted in 1990 of a murder and rape in Peekskill, N.Y. DNA taken from semen found in the victim did not match my DNA. But misconduct at every stage of the criminal justice system led me to spend 16 years of my life in prison. That misconduct included a coerced, false confession when I was 16, extracted after many days of interrogation overseen by current Peekskill Police Chief Eugene Tumolo and others, as well as the falsification of other evidence.

Most people think that only a guilty person would confess to a crime. But I can tell you that scare tactics, threats of violence, food deprivation, being lied to regarding lie detector results and being told that you can go home if you cooperate have produced many false confessions. Of the 218 exonerations based on DNA testing, false confessions led to 25 percent of the original convictions.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

Destee

10. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    FREE MUMIA

MUMIA ABUL JAMAL

Convicted of murdering a Police Officer

Someone else confessed to the crime