Jails / Prisons : Black People Working in Prisons

I don't have the exact figures in front of ME
however, (I'M actively searching for them again)

I had recently been sent some information regarding
the prison population of the world-- (someone help a Brother out
if YOU'VE gotten the same figures...) and it was eye-opening
to say the least.

Something like 3% of the worlds population is in jail, out of
the 6.5 billion people on the planet, 64% of these people are
jailed in amerikkka, 87% of these amerikkkan prisoners are BLACK.

If this is not disproportionate, for those whom may believe that
the vast majority of the amerikkkan prison population are whites,

I'VE got nothing else to say.

Again I'M searching for these numbers and when I find them,
I'LL post them here for clarity.

Meantime if YOU need immediate clarification of these 'facts,'
check'm for YOURSELF, they'r there.

ROARIN........

In the meantime......

(Courtesy of **************)

New Underground Railroad Needed as Black Men Flee the Pursuit of the U.S. Justice System
Date: 02/19/2007
Hunted like runaway slaves, the Black male needs more support than ever from community leaders and leading Black gatekeepers instead of criticism and condemnation. As of December 2005, over 2 million prisoners occupy the U.S. Prison system, the largest incarceration rate in the civilized world, and at least 65% of those are Black males.

According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice, 3,145 Black males are sentenced per 100,000 Black men in the United States, compared to 1,244 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 471 white male inmates per 100,000 white males. These numbers are astonishing as well as questioning.

At first conclusion, one would tend to believe that Black male imprisonment is more needed than any other race of males in the U.S., implying Black males are criminal at heart and destine for a life of incarceration. No man is born a criminal and not one is destine for incarceration, except in the unproductive practices of the U.S. justice system.

No more an institute for rehabilitation, the U.S. prison system has repositioned itself as a system of collecting and housing bodies as possessions of the state to be further used by bidding corporate entities for production of cheap product goods and services, in addition to providing rural families with employment.

Black men have become a commodity in this systematic market and little effort to change this system has been attempted by anyone; politicians, activist groups, churches, and especially Black leaders. Instead, Black men have to carefully watch their steps to avoid fitting the national profile for potential incarceration.

During slavery, when Blacks sought to escape the pursuit of the slave masters and catchers, our brave sister, Harriet Tubman, accompanied by others, devised an escape route called the Underground Railroad to assist runaways in their search for freedom. Today, a new Underground Railroad has to be put into place to help Black males avoid being ensnared in the trap set for them by the U.S. justice system.

Anger and despair engulfs many Back males today because of lack of supervision, family structure, guidance, and support from those who should support them most, such as fathers, teachers, neighbors and of course the Back woman. Yes, there is much temptation in the “hoods” but Railroad stations must be put into place by concerned Black community groups, preferably the churches that will divert and transform all the negative energy in Black males into positive energy.

No help or solutions will come from the political system or the justice system because it is those systems that hunt our Black men, so any effort to get attention from those systems would be a waste of time. Innovation in the form creative action from schools, families, and volunteer community groups would do more because it is these institutions that have a better understanding of the Black male than anyone.

Sadly, society and even the Black community itself have become complacent with what is happening to the Black male population and have seemingly given up, believing that Black men are of no use and hopeless. This is untrue, the problem is there are no institutions in this society that have acknowledge the problem and decided to take action to reverse the trend.

When an issue is treated as untreatable, then the issue will of course only get worse, but negative imagery of Black males in the U.S. society has gained a strength that only seems unbreakable, yet is not. Divine intervention is needed to break the yoke of persecution against Black men.

Black leaders must stop depending on politicians and political policies to end the struggle for Black equality and begin taking to the streets erecting Railroad stations that address the problems as needed, with love, power, and a will to defeat this modern day institution of U.S. re-enslavement of Black males.

CR Hamilton

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/prisons.htm

ROARIN.......

This topic is about blacks working in prisons, not rehashng the history of slavery, or why more whites are not in prison. I really don't care about why there are not more whites in prison, I guess that is their problem, and they can handle it the best way they can. I will say this, I still see businesses florishing in the white community and property values are up. I don't see kids standing on the corner threatening and intimidating law abiding citizens that live in the community. They have massive drug problems, but it's in their house.

We need to be concerned about our community and the reasons that are kids are committing crimes in the first place. That is the problem that is leading to the prison population being what it is. All of this stuff about Unicor is irrelevant. The program is voluntary and is for those inmates who want to do something productive with their lives when they have served their time. The vast majority of people on this site say that they have or have had a relative in prison. Why not talk to them about the prison industrial system. Most prisons don't have the program. Most prisons don't really change inmates because they don't want to be changed. Most started disobeying authority at an early age, and can't be helped. No father around is a major factor. No family structure, no religious teaching, no respect for their own community. Let's face it, these are suppose to be men, who by definition, are suppose to build and protect their community, not destroy it. If all you can see is the white man behind the destruction, then you may as well throw your hands up in the air and give up, because they are not going to come in on a white horse and save us.

All of this research to try to prove what? That there are more black men in prison than their percentage in the population. We already know that, we don't really need details. The fact is they all, for the most part, committed a crime to get there, and that is a big facture.

The fact that I work in law enforcement doesn't influence my way of thinking at all, other than the fact that have have access to more valid information, which many people aren't really interested in, because truth is not on their agenda. The blacks working in prisons where there are black inmates, is far better than having all white faces. If it is not than explain why.

Notwithstanding the fact that most people seem to have not realized this topic is about Blacks working in maximum security prisons, and not general population prisons, there is only one question regarding it: Should no Black people work in prisons period? This question appears to have been toyed with, but not necessarily answered. I know Mrron has asked it a number of times, but with little success in getting a reply. So I challenge any and all to answer this question, because it is the only relevant question respecting the topic at hand.

In any case Destee I'm uncertain as to what your basic point is other than you see it problematical that our people work in prisons. If this is a correct understanding however, what do you propose should be done regarding Blacks working in prisons?

NeterHeru said:
Notwithstanding the fact that most people seem to have not realized this topic is about Blacks working in maximum security prisons, and not general population prisons, there is only one question regarding it: Should no Black people work in prisons period? This question appears to have been toyed with, but not necessarily answered. I know Mrron has asked it a number of times, but with little success in getting a reply. So I challenge any and all to answer this question, because it is the only relevant question respecting the topic at hand.

Brother NeterHeru ... rarely, if ever, will there be only one (relevant) question that comes from a discussion started here. While your question is a good one ... Should no Black people work in prisons period? ... i never asked that, or even thought it, when creating this thread. I'm of the mindset that there will be Black People doing a little of everything, as always.

My query was to those who work in these jobs now. I was petitioning them to share with us, as i'm sure they have insight most don't have. I'd love to be privy to that, to have more information than MSNBC provides. That was my purpose for starting the thread. While the maximum security prisons are the ones featured on MSNBC most often, i'd be interested in listening to any Sister or Brother currently working where our people are incarcerated.

In an effort to answer your (and Brother MrRon's) question ... while i'd love for none of us to work within the system that oppresses us, that would probably mean none of us could work anywhere. That's not realistic.

In my opening post, i clearly said we can't be mad at these Sisters and Brothers for taking care of their families. It was not my intention to attack them, or any such thing. Quite the contrary, i'm welcoming them to join us ... here in the discussions or in a live voice chat session.

NeterHeru said:
In any case Destee I'm uncertain as to what your basic point is other than you see it problematical that our people work in prisons. If this is a correct understanding however, what do you propose should be done regarding Blacks working in prisons?

No Brother, i don't see it as problematic. It's just our reality. It's been our reality for hundreds of years ... Black Folk watching over other Black Folk. It's really more a symptom of our lack of industry, business, economic opportunity, etc., for our people. If Black People could offer other Black People good paying jobs, they'd probably have to get more white people to man their prisons. For that matter, if we could offer each other jobs, fewer of our people would resort to illegal activities (selling drugs).

Nothing should be done about those that work in the prison system. If we are going to do something, i'd much rather we focus our attention on those locked up there ... or headed in that direction.

Again, it is my hope that someone who works in such an environment, will share with us. In the meantime, as you can see, the discussion will go in a variety of different directions. That's okay with me! :)

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back