Black Spirituality Religion : Black People: What is your opinion of this Bible scripture (1 Corinthians 14:34)?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ictoan Itkfae, May 3, 2014.

1. Ictoan Itkfae

Ictoan Itkfae Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +36
    Peace Family (Black people,)

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law." 1 Cor. 14:34 KJV

I hope that I do not disturb the faith of any Bible-believer who is happy with their faith. But Brothers and Sisters what is your opinion of this Scripture? Is it God-inspired? Is it unjust? Is it evil? Is it fair?...

2. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    My opinion is that this is nothing more than a control tactic as well as reminder of the level of sexism and misogynistic attitudes that was no secret in those days.

3. CSmith

CSmith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +213
    There are far worse things than this in the bible, but it suggests that the bible was written by males who sought to perpetuate a patriarchal society.

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    The OT is a lot more restrictive. But basically, they follow the same line in both. The OT says it is a curse on the people if the females are the leaders in the community. It generally means the men aren't stepping up

5. Ictoan Itkfae

Ratings:
    +36
    Peace Bro. Kemetstry,

Thanks so much for contributing. Do you know where in the OT that it says women being the leaders is a curse?

I think that women can be leaders but I agree that it would be evil if only women were leaders because that would be sexist oppression of men.

Peace.
    Bro. Ictoan

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

:10400: See, now you trying to put me on the spot.

7. Ictoan Itkfae

Ratings:
    +36
    LOL. No Sir lol. I just would really like to read that Scripture...I tried searching for it but I could not find it. Do you know where it is?

Peace & Brotherly Love,
    Bro. Ictoan

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

Off the top of my head, no. Start with Chronicles or Deuteronomy

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    In order to better understand this verse, one needs place it in its correct context. Corinth was a city under Greco-Roman rule and cultural influence. The new Believers there needed some spiritual guidance in their new Faith in following "The Way."

The Book of Corinthians is a letter to the Believers and the Church in Corinth. At that time, the Corinth church was a place of chaos, division and confusion among the Saints. That same Book and Chapter also tells us that "God is not the author of confusion" [1 Cor. 14:33] and to "Let all things be done decently and in order" [1 Cor. 14:40], most especially in the House of God.

The Book of Corinthians is Paul's answers to the Corinth church about questions and issues the Believers had at that time.

The Chapters in 1 Corinthians cover different matters:

Chapter 7 - Marriage and Divorce
    Chapter 8 - Food Sacrificed to Idols
    Chapter 11- Worship
    Chapters 12>14 - Spiritual Gifts in the Church and Conduct

Now, as to the verse you referenced, why would Paul say that women should "keep silence" in Church when earlier in Chapter 11, he says that women should not pray or prophesy without their heads covered??

1 Cor. 11: [5] But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

Hmmm. So, women were permitted to speak in church by praying and prophesying. Therefore, there must be something else going on with 1 Cor. 14:34.

Chapter 14 is about the speaking in Prophesying, Tongues, and Interpretation.

And verses 34 and 35, say that if a woman didn't understand something, she was to ask her husband at home.....not interrupting/disturbing the progress and order of the Church when Tongues are being interpreted or prophesies made.

^^^^

Kemetstry

10. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135

This was allowed even in the OT. Look up Ex. after they came out of Kemet and wandered for 40 years.