Black Money Business Jobs : Black People on American Money

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Destee, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

Why isn't there any Black folk on American money?

They got Black folk on stamps.

Look like we would have a Black person on some money, even if it's the penny.

Who should be the first Black person featured on American currency?

Do you think it will ever happen?

Has it already happened and i just don't know?

:heart:

Destee

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    You want black faces on US money? And you thought the dollar is worth nothing now!!!

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think they'd dare...even if one day all the planets lined up and a black president was elected. They'll never even put Bill Clinton on any cash because tooo many black people like him.

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Who should be the first Black person featured on American currency? I'm sure the majority would say Dr. King, but my vote would be for Malcom X.

Do you think it will ever happen? NO, I don't see it happening while I'm alive.

5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Personally, I don't know that I would want a Black face on American money, certainly not with the current state of Blacks in America. For what? America is racist--pure and simple. Why continue to give it permission to tokenize us and showcase us when we know it never comes easy and seldom without a fight? The mere fact that ask the question should tell us what the answer is. Why do Black people always have to raise the question if we lived in a color blind society?

By having a Black face on American currency, what value will it add to the Black community? Merely give it a sense of pride? When Black people purchase more stamps because a Black face is on them, who does it benefit? Where does the money go? Does it go to support the Black community? Having a Black face on American currency--what direct benefits will it contribute to Black people? Will it increase it's value to us at all? I can hear some of us now talking about it--"Look, we got a Black face on the dollar bill!" And what will that do for us when it's probably the only dollar bill we have in our possession at the time or God only knows what it took to even get that. Will it have more purchasing power? Will it feed more hungry Black babies? Will it stay in our hands longer instead of being spent to purchase more crap that we don't need? Will it purchase Black families better health-care or help them afford a college education? Frankly, I don't think ANY face should be on the currency.

I know the point you're trying to make Sister Des, but honestly, aren't you tired of how we allow ourselves to be tokenized and exploited by white America? I say bump it! Let's find a better way to promote ourselves.

Queenie :spinstar:

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

First and Foremost ... Sister NNQueen ... i miss you ... :cry:

It took me a few years, but i've found the answers to my questions.

There is / was some American currency with Black People on it. I believe this is all there has ever been.

It's all "commemorative," so i of course looked that up, to see what exactly it means:

Commemorative coins are non-circulating coins authorized by Congressional legislation to celebrate and honor American people, places, events or institutions. Although these coins are legal tender, they are not minted for general circulation or to be used in daily transactions. Each commemorative coin is produced by the United States Mint in limited quantity and is only available for a limited time.

As well as commemorating important aspects of American history and culture, these coins help raise money for important causes. Part of the price of these coins is a surcharge that goes to organizations and projects that benefit the community.

:
    :

The first coin to feature an African-American was the Booker T. Washington Memorial Silver Half Dollar (1946–51)

[​IMG]

Obverse: The face of the famous educator appears with "Booker T. Washington" written below it.

Reverse: A picture of the cabin where Washington was born sits atop the inscription "From Slave Cabin to Hall of Fame."

This bill probably would have failed except for a clause specifying that the profits of the new issue were to be used "to oppose the spread of Communism among Negroes in the interest of the National defense."

Read More Here

:
    :

Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver Silver Half Dollar (1951)

[​IMG]

Obverse: The busts of George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington

Reverse: A map of the United States. Around the rim, "Freedom and Opportunity for All - Americanism."

:
    :

Jackie Robinson Silver $1 and gold $5 (1997)

[​IMG]

Obverse: The coin's obverse shows Robinson stealing home plate, just as he did during the 1955 World Series.

Reverse: The 50th anniversary logo of Robinson's breaking of the color barrier appears on the coin's reverse.

In a ceremony on the Treasury steps, officials trumpeted commemorative coins honoring Jackie Robinson with proceeds going to scholarships for poor, inner-city kids.

What they didn't mention-and what none of the U.S. Mint's glossy brochures say-is that $1 million, nearly 20 percent of the expected total, will instead help expand the U.S. Botanic Garden at the foot of Capitol Hill.

Rachel Robinson, widow of pioneering baseball great Jackie Robinson, says she was shocked by Johnston's demand but felt she had no choice but to agree or see the legislation killed during the end-of-session crush.

"He was literally taking funds away from us, but I felt we had no recourse," she said. "The million dollars we lost represents 50 endowed scholarships."

Read More Here

:
    :

Black Revolutionary War Patriots / Crispus Attucks Silver $1 (Feb 13 - Dec 31 1998)

[​IMG]

Obverse: portrait of Crispus Attucks

Reverse: depicts a Black Patriot family

:
    :

Much Much Love and Peace Family.

:heart:

Destee

7. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Because black people ARE money. In a SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) non-white (black) people ARE the principle medium of exchange.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    To: US Congress, US Senate, US Treasury

This is a petition in support of the 'Black Money Movement' letter that I sent to African American members of Congress and to Senator Barack Obama in September of 2005. This letter made headlines in Atlanta in Emerging Minds and the 'Black Money Movement' has been consistent with gathering many supporters.

The letter proposes that those members (and others who will receive the next batch of letters) make efforts towards changing the face of our currency (or at least one bill). It is my belief that this country's proclaimed success as a flourishing 'Superpower' owes the credit to the African slaves (my ancestors and yours). It is also my belief that the 'power' behind the U.S. currency would not be as such, had it not been for my ancestors. Therefore, I pose this question- Why are they not on it?

here is the full artical and the petition ......why not sign and join the 53 who are pushing for a change in our today's money value and American currency.

http://www.petitiononline.com/4NIAMBI/petition.html

That is true we have a few coins that are collectors items and
    commemorative to thy History and face mill of great blacks and leaders .

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Go to www.keitascorner.net on the "economics 2" and you will see a twenty dollar bill that came out in Chicago back in the 80's. It was used not only by the african community there but was even being circulated by banks. Anyone from Chicago should try and find the history on it cause I lost it somewher but will try to find it again.

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I'm trying the link but it's not working

i kinda remember this and looking into that infomation ......