destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

Have you all noticed in the media, television, magazines, ads, etc., that there are no dark Black People being represented?

I mean ... the Black People that they are featuring, are not the Blackest of us.

The Blackest of us, get very little exposure, if any.

It's as though, Black People ... real (dark) Black People ... have been totally replaced ... by folk who could be categorized as Black, but aren't real Black (dark).

I have a problem with this.

It's as though they are trying to convince us that we don't exist.

The lightest Black person, has some dark Black person in their lineage, yet there's no visual evidence of them.

This is not good.

I have not seen a little Black Girl in the media, dark-skinned, with her natural hair.

Have you?

:heart:

Destee

Destee said:

Have you all noticed in the media, television, magazines, ads, etc., that there are no dark Black People being represented?

I mean ... the Black People that they are featuring, are not the Blackest of us.

It's as though, Black People ... real (dark) Black People ... have been totally replaced ... by folk who could be categorized as Black, but aren't real Black (dark).

The lightest Black person, has some dark Black person in their lineage, yet there's no visual evidence of them.

This is not good.

I have not seen a little Black Girl in the media, dark-skinned, with her natural hair.

Have you?

Destee
not until we do something wrong...THEN you will see plenty of dark skinned blacks,you are absolutely right but think about this day and age my sister,the spanish are replacing us almost everywhere you turn and pretty soon we may not see too many of us on tv period darkskinned or otherwise,as the mighty temps would say...TAKE A LOOK AROUND!

There was a movie named "Akeelah" that premiered last year, which starred a young Black girl:

Akeelah Anderson is a talented girl at Crenshaw Middle School, a predominantly black school in South Los Angeles. Akeelah is especially talented at spelling, and never makes errors on her spelling tests. Her teacher recommends that she sign up for the Crenshaw Schoolwide Spelling Bee.
Akeelah wins the school spelling bee easily. After that, Dr. Joshua Larabee (a visiting English professor) tests her with some difficult words, and finds that she has the potential to reach the National Spelling Bee. But after failing to correctly spell the word "pulchritude", she is upset because she doesn't meet her own expectations of being a "brainiac."
When Akeelah asks Dr. Larabee to coach her, he rejects her for being insolent. Instead, she studies on her own for the district spelling bee. During the bee her sister Kiana catches one of the contestants cheating, which allows Akeelah to take the tenth and final qualifying spot for the regional/state bee. She also meets Javier, an eleven-year-old Mexican-American boy and fellow speller. Javier invites her to join the spelling club at Woodland Hills.
In Woodland Hills, Akeelah meets Dylan Chiu (played by Sean Michael), a Chinese-American boy, who tests her word knowledge and tells her she needs a coach. After the spelling club, Javier invites her to his birthday party.
During the party, Javier impulsively kisses her. Dylan plays Scrabble with Akeelah and several other guests. Akeelah almost defeats Dylan, but later overhears Dylan's father admonishing him to do better to avoid being beaten by "a little black girl."
Akeelah's mother, Tanya, is depressed at her husband's death, and does not want Akeelah to participate in the state bee because it would be too much on top of her homework. The bee is so important to Akeelah that she forges her father's signature on the consent form.
As the state bee draws near, Akeelah memorizes all the winning words from past spelling bees and works with Dr. Larabee, learning not only words, but also life lessons.
During the state bee, Akeelah's mother interrupts to try to stop Akeelah from competing, but Dr. Larabee steps up to stop her from interfering. Javier uses the word "ratatouille" to stall for time while Akeelah talks to her mother. Javier asks the judge to repeat the word, define it, use it in a sentence, and even to sing in a song with it. Just in time, Akeelah returns. Dylan finishes first, Javier second, and Akeelah third, which earns her a spot in the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
As Christmas approaches, Akeelah goes out to buy Dr. Larabee a present, not knowing that he plans to give up coaching her because she reminds him too much of his deceased daughter, Denise. Instead, he gives Akeelah four boxes of 5,000 flashcards to study.
Without her coach, Akeelah loses her motivation. When she tries to spend time with her best friend, Georgia, Georgia tells her "Why don't you go with your friends at Woodland hills?" When she sees people talking about her on TV and hoping she will win, the pressure is too much, and she goes to her room crying. Her mother, however, cheers her up and suggests that even though Dr. Larabee won't coach her, just about anyone else will.
Akeelah begins to search for her coaches. Everyone from her brother's gangster friends (Derrick T.) to grocery store managers to restaurant waiters is willing to coach her, which lifts her spirits and restores her motivation.
In the end, Dr. Larabee comes through with tickets for four people to the national bee, so that Akeelah's family and friends can go with her. Her performance is solid and steady thanks to her "jump rope" strategy from Dr. Larabee. With only a few stumbles, she is smiled on as a crowd favorite.
Javier and Dylan are, of course, also at the bee. Javier is finally eliminated on "Merovingian", finishing 5th, and begins rooting for Akeelah.
But when Akeelah goes to wish Dylan good luck, she overhears his father's expectations of Dylan: win first place this year, win first place every year. Afterwards she runs into Dr. Larabee, who tells her how proud he is of her. Akeelah asks him whether she can come back if she loses, "Of course you can!" he says.
Akeelah attempts to throw the competition by deliberately misspelling "xanthosis" as "zanthosis". Dylan wonders what he should do, knowing she must have done this on purpose -- he taught her how to spell the word way back in Woodland Hills. Dylan misspelling as well, choosing "xanthoses". They each know something is up now, but they are able to clear it up and try to win fair and square. The contest moves on to the 25 championship words.
The perfect spelling goes on, and finally, Dylan spells the 24th championship word, "logorrhea", and is declared a National Spelling Bee champion with the word. Akeelah still has a chance, though, and gets a lucky break: her word is "pulchritude", the word she had first stumbled on at the Crenshaw school spelling bee. She and Dylan are declared co-champions in an emotional moment, with cheering from Crenshaw to Washington D.C..
"You know that feeling where there is joy, and that is love... L-O-V-E."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akeelah_and_the_Bee

Destee said:

This is not good.

Have you?

Destee

I think that depends on the media you are viewing at the time. I see plenty of dark sisters and brothers in movies, tv and mag.s all the time

Kemetstry said:
I think that depends on the media you are viewing at the time. I see plenty of dark sisters and brothers in movies, tv and mag.s all the time

Where? you got some kind of special channels ...I don't have? Now, I've watched many black shows and even an all black cast don't have dark Kings or Queens in them (at least most don't)

1. Tyler Perry
all the Movies, the Plays and T.V. shows he have, how many are dark? 1, maybe 2 out of hundreds?

2. My Wife & Kids
Nope, no dark ones there, not 1!

3. Girlfriends
Oh lets' not forget this show, ...they bout to cross the white line. Hair is permed out to the skull.

4. Cosby Show
They have 5 children, take a look at them, ...any darks one there? even the husband to one of the daughter's is almost white along with the 2 grands.

Fresh Prince of Bel-air
Oop's ...let me move on, no darks one there either.

That's so Raven
Speaks for itself pretty much.

If you find some other than the one's above, hit me up...well you may find 1-2 tokens...smh

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back