Black People : Black people and science fiction/fantasy

As a past article put it well (and I believe one of its co writers was/is Nigerian):

Modern speculative fiction sceanarios tend to be irrelavant when it comes to developing nations, i. e., since there's not the same level of advance technology, hence no Skynet to take over such nations, no rise of the cyborgs, etc., in the first place, etc.?

On the other hand, I did need and want to know what motivated the likes of the late Octavia Butler, because I'm a long time sf fan, though couldn't relate to her afrocentric oriented stuff, at all!

Flashforward and I'd also like to know and understand who the younger african american writers of the genre are, i. e., who've grown up watching the same films I have, as well as how such stuff has impacted the hip hop generations, etc.

Such films--as Blade Runner etc.-- were meant to be reality checks/wake up calls for past generations:

Perhaps suchlike are becoming the part of reality which some of today's generations are having to cope and deal with-!

You tell me the answer to that question!

:10500:

The mainstream market is locked.

The indie market is wide open.

However, too many of us are looking for fast buck or over-night-success which can take a lifetime to happen.

I know Black illustrators who have been worked on African centered themes for generations but had to earn lving in mainstream media. One is a former illustrator for Disney, which will take Black characters and either make them white or water the characterd down.

I hear you it is true and the reason why I know it to be true is because when I was about twelve I drew the xmen charactere Bishop... and I sent it in with a bunch of other characters to Marvel comics.

I never recieved any letters or anything back .... but next thing I know I see the character on television a year or so later.

My first name is Micheal that is why I put the M on his eye.

Ripleys believe it or not .... lol

My entire family will tell you it is true.

But there are a ton of us out there just like me ... just getting our potential robbed so some thief can pay their light bills.

I hear you it is true and the reason why I know it to be true is because when I was about twelve I drew the xmen charactere Bishop... and I sent it in with a bunch of other characters to Marvel comics.

I never recieved any letters or anything back .... but next thing I know I see the character on television a year or so later.

My first name is Micheal that is why I put the M on his eye.

Ripleys believe it or not .... lol

My entire family will tell you it is true.

But there are a ton of us out there just like me ... just getting our potential robbed so some thief can pay their light bills.

Oh i believe you. Living in los angeles i have heard stories such as yours all my life which is why i never sent any work out that is not solicited. Explains part of why i'm not published which brings me to ask the following.

Did you know that you can copyright your works as "unpublished" which means they are registered with the library of congress? you can also recieve trademark for any characters you create.

You can register as a collection of works then register each individually. This is what i have done with some music compositions and i then was even able to obtain music licensing as an independent publisher. I registered some lyrics first then the compositions and intend to do the same with some of my historical works, then abstracts of my screenplays.

Here is a list of

Sci-Fi or Speculative Fiction authors:

Zaji wrote When We Were One
Brandon Massey wrote Thunderland
Michael Marriot wrote The Skull Cage Key
&
LA Banks writes the Vampire Huntress series starting with Minion

I just recently heard about someone who has a book coming out soon and when I find the email, I will post

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back