Black People Politics : Black pastor stirs controversy ahead of Obama’s Morehouse commencement speech

Interesting thread, it's funny that we are having such a discussion about a so called Black President. Hey its only year one of his second term, may be he will do something for Black folks later this year, you can definitely look forward to the next three years. Like a man once said "keep hope alive" after all President Obama campaign slogan was all about Hope and Change.

These are the facts, which cannot be glossed over and given to President Obama to solve with a magic wand:

"To President Obama's credit, he's certainly focused on early childhood education," Austin said.
It's not that black workers don't attempt the same sort of job assists within their own networks, said Deirdre Royster, an economic sociologist at New York University and author of Race and the Invisible Hand: How White Networks Exclude Black Men From Blue Collar Jobs.
African Americans ask neighbors, significant others, the significant others of neighbors, relatives and friends about open jobs, too. But since black unemployment rates were far higher than white rates before, during and after the recession, the number of people in a typical black social network who are in a position to help is far more limited.
According to Royster, there's an additional twist: When blacks are aware of a job, they describe the job, the boss, the company and its preferences and needs. Then they follow up with a warning.
"They give the person looking for a job all sorts of information and then they say, 'But don't tell them I sent you,'" said Royster.
Black workers are aware of something that researchers are still trying to explain: White bosses often worry, lack of statistical evidence aside, that black workers are more likely to sue them or band together in the workplace and try to change things, Royster said. That seems all the more likely if the black workers already know one another, she said. And many white hiring managers still assume, consciously or unconsciously, that black workers bring undesirable workplace habits and qualities, Royster said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/29/black-unemployment-nancy-ditomaso_n_2974805.html

I give you big props for doing more than back up your claims with emotional appeals and/or berating othes for being disloyal to the race etc.

On the other hand, I suggest you consider the level those who do reflect, though they might be as concerned and worried as we are, too...

FYI...

I give you big props for doing more than back up your claims with emotional appeals and/or berating othes for being disloyal to the race etc.

On the other hand, I suggest you consider the level those who do reflect, though they might be as concerned and worried as we are, too...

FYI...

Well thank you for that bro. chuck. Most definitely, I always consider the deep thinkers, without a doubt. Nevertheless, any conversation concerning President Obama, between those having differences of opinion, will always be robust, heated and very opinionated. It is a very touchy subject to say the least, which carries bundles of emotions on both sides of the argument.

For the record I will state my position again. Mr. Obama runs the chance of only being a historical figure, and not a transformational figure, if we don't make enough noise to be heard; not only by him, but all electoral politicians. And for us to be effective, we must be organize and affiliated with the Progressive Movement on the Left. Hopefully, it isn't too late, but its very doubtful we will make a difference before he leaves office. Its the only way the Black Agenda will ever be addressed on this political landscape, regardless of the President's race or culture ... rhetoric is fine, but action is better.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back