Brother AACOOLDRE : Black On Black Slavery??????

Discussion in 'AACOOLDRE' started by AACOOLDRE, Apr 20, 2010.

1. AACOOLDRE

AACOOLDRE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    DID BLACKS SELL BLACKS INTO SLAVERY & Other Matters
    By Andre Austin

I’ve read only two stories from former slaves in America accusing Blacks of selling each other into slavery. Zora Neale Hurstson was an anthropologist collecting the folklore of black people in its black vernacular (broken English) and minstrel form found a 90 plus year old former slave to say blacks sold him into slavery from Dahomey. The other was an Nigerian name Gustavus Vassa aka Olaudah Equiano in his famous autobiography accused blacks of selling him down the coast. Black Afrocentrist are in a rage because they find no African country selling blacks into slavery.

Exhibit A: Dust Tracks on a Road (1942) by Zora Neale Hurston

“One bit of research I did jointly for the Journal of Negro History and Columbia University, was in mobile, Alabama. There I went to talk to Cudjo Lewis. That is the American version of his name. his African name was Kossola-O-Lo-Loo-Ay. He was the only negro alive that came over on a slave ship. It happened in 1859 just when the fight between the south and the abolitionist was moving toward civil war.

One thing impressed me strongly from this three months of association with Cudjo Lewis. The white people had held my people I n slavery here in America. They had bought us, it is true and exploited us. But the in escaped fact that struck in my craw, was: my people had sold me and the white people had bought me. that did away with the folklore I had been brought up on-that the white people had gone to Africa, waved a red handkerchief at the Africans and lured them aboard ship and sailed away. I know that civilized money stirred up African greed…all that this Cudjo told was verified from other historical sources”.

Exhibit B: The Life of Olaudah Equiano (1814) By Olaudah Equiano

“They always carry slaves through our land; but the strictest account is exacted of their manner of procuring them, before they are suffered to pass. Sometimes, indeed we sold slaves to them, but they were only prisoners of war, or such among us as been convicted of kidnapping, or adultery, and some other crimes, which we esteemed heinous (p.17)

EXHIBIT C

We are at a crossroads. Woman now outnumber black males on college campus so naturally they are going to focus on black women writers like:

Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes were watching God (1937)
    Alice Walker “The Color Purple” (1982)
    Toni Morrison “Beloved” (1987) & The Song of Solomon (1977)

I don’t mind it at all but we must have a balance of power here. They exclude Black female writers like Shazarad Ali “The Blackman’s Guide to Understanding the Blackwoman” or the Isis Papers By Francis Cress Welsing. Alice Walker resurcceted Hurston and both walker and Morrison write in her spirit. Welsing and Ali taught the black women how to repair the Blackman and come togther in unity and harmony. However, you left the movie therete hating the Blackman after watching The Color Purple. Louis Farrakhan took the movie very seriously and issued a major speech on it selling a tape recorded cassettee and video with it all colored in purple. They make the Blackman into a monster and receive an academy award for it; afro centrist gives us a Blackman as a hero and it gets ignored in the literary world.

Oprah Winfrey starred in Beloved and The Color Purple and bankrolled Their Eyes were Watching God. People forget Winfrey stared in Richard’s Wright novel Native Son (1940) which was in many ways the opposite of The color purple. We exited the movie house wanting to reform the criminal justice system and white racism after Native son, that anger was directly targeted to the Blackman after The Color Purple. Richard Wright accused Zora of writing a minstrel show in Their Eyes were watching God. I couldn’t believe it only took her 7 weeks to write this masterpiece novel. I have problems reading black broken English. It irritates me to read it.

For the last 12 years of Zora life was hard. In 1948 she was accused of having sex with a ten year old boy. The case was dismissed the year later but the black mark would never disappear.

Like I said before I have no problems with any type of literature as long as we can have a balance and everyone’s voice gets to write and sing for public consumption. Beloved was a masterpiece movie/novel because it focused on the institution of slavery on the mental health of the black family. However, The Song of Solomon did dog out the Blackman. Well we can’t win them all. Without a doubt Walker and Morrison are Zora daughters. I can tolerate them wininng the battle as long as we have a balance of power with the black female

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Still going on today

Black on Black slavery is going on in the Motherland right this minute and there is not a Black leader or a Black pesident or prime minister
    in any nation raising hell about it!!!!:ghost::ghost::SuN041::qqb021::time::danger::danger:

3. AACOOLDRE

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    where at
    are u talking about sex slaves?

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    as long as we vilify each other the slavery will continue...good tie ins with ur topics bro....

one love
    khasm

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_modern_Africa

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-...ernment-must-eradicate-child-slavery-20091118

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=17323

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/12/world/fg-ghana-slavery12

Slavery exists today across the world, including among nations within Africa. Groups such as the American Anti-Slavery Group, Anti-Slavery International, Free the Slaves, the Anti-Slavery Society, and the Norwegian Anti-Slavery Society continue to campaign to rid the world of slavery. Conditions that are considered slavery include debt bondage, indentured servitude, serfdom, domestic servants kept in captivity, adoption in which children are effectively forced to work as slaves, child soldiers, and forced marriage.[118] Though slavery was officially abolished in China in 1910,[119] the practice continues unofficially in some regions of the country.[120][121][122]

Slavery for agricultural labor persists in Florida in the United States today. The Modern-Day Slavery Museum documents seven cases of farm labor servitude successfully prosecuted in the US courts there in the past fifteen years.[123]

More people suffer slavery than in the past but slaves are a smaller proportion of the human population.[citation needed] Slaves are cheap and can therefore be treated as expendable.[citation needed] Worldwide slavery is a criminal offence but criminal slave owners can get very high returns for their actions.[124] According to researcher Siddharth Kara, the profits generated worldwide by all forms of slavery in 2007 was $91.2 billion. That is second only to drug trafficking in terms of global, criminal, illicit enterprises. The weighted average annual profits generated by a slave in 2007 was $3,175, with a low of an average $950 for bonded labor and $29,210 for a trafficked sex slave.[125] Approximately forty percent of all slave profits each year are generated by trafficked sex slaves, representing slightly more than 4 percent of the world's 29 million slaves.[125]

Current situation

Francis Bok, former Sudanese slave. It is estimated that as many as 200,000 people had been taken into slavery during the Second Sudanese Civil War. The slaves are mostly Dinka people.[126][127]Although outlawed in nearly all countries, forms of slavery still exist.[4][128] Several estimates of the number of slaves in the world have been provided. According to a broad definition of slavery used by Kevin Bales of Free the Slaves (FTS), an advocacy group linked with Anti-Slavery International, there were 27 million people in slavery in 1999, spread all over the world.[129] In 2005, the International Labour Organisation provided an estimate of 12.3 million forced labourers in the world,[130]. Siddharth Kara has provided an estimate of 28.4 million slaves at the end of 2006 divided into the following three categories: bonded labour/debt bondage (18.1 million), forced labour (7.6 million), and trafficked slaves (2.7 million).[125] Kara provides a dynamic model to calculate the number of slaves in the world each year, with an estimated 29.2 million at the end of 2009. The weighted average global sales price of a slave is calculated to be approximately $340, with a high of $1,895 for the average trafficked sex slave, and a low of $40 to $50 for debt bondage slaves in part of Asia and Africa.[125]

Enslavement is also taking place in parts of Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia.[131] The Middle East Quarterly reports that slavery is still endemic in Sudan.[132] In June and July 2007, 570 people who had been enslaved by brick manufacturers in Shanxi and Henan were freed by the Chinese government.[133] Among those rescued were 69 children.[134] In response, the Chinese government assembled a force of 35,000 police to check northern Chinese brick kilns for slaves, sent dozens of kiln supervisors to prison, punished 95 officials in Shanxi province for dereliction of duty, and sentenced one kiln foreman to death for killing an enslaved worker.[133] In 2008,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Contemporary_slavery

6. AACOOLDRE

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +400
    This is some good info