Black People : Black on Black Hatin' in the Workplace

Unfortunately, when I taught, I never had the privilege to work in an all black setting. It was mostly nonblack and filled with a lot of racist nonsense. The resources that should have been there to optimize learning weren't there, neither were high expectations by and large. I would say that your experience, at least in that type of setting, was more unusual than not.

I also don’t understand. Maybe in the rush to get all Black educators they did not also look for the more qualified black educators. Maybe parents get a false sense of security and don’t get involved as much if now they think the children are look after better.
A friends was telling me about a high school in Petersburg, va.
The school used to have mostly white educators with about 90% black students. After they changed to all Black educators the learning went downhill. It was expected that Blacks would be able to understand and teach themselves better.
The school now has the lowest SOL scores in the state and has the most state funding per student.
It may just be certain schools.

aglo said:
In the days of segregation, White teachers taught White students and Black teachers taught Black students. bell hooks has suggested that in some ways Black people were better off within this situation. We were able back then to educate our children as we saw fit and serve as appropriate role models.

After de-segregation and "white-flight" to suburbia, inner city schools districts find themselves re-segregated! In the school where I work as an elementary teacher, there is not one white student out of 500. It's the same in thousands of schools across the country, and has been for at least the passed 30 years. Throughout this time period, the teachers and administration were a majority of White people.

Corruption and miseducation became rampant. After all, what interest did these White teachers and administrators have in Black children, other than to train them to either work under their own White children, or to justify the creation/maintaintenace of jobs in criminal justice/law enforcement? But as cities have become Blacker, the faculties and administrations have also come full circle.

Great, right? We now have control of our own children's learning again, right? WRONG. The corruption and miseducation taking place in our inner city public schools are worse than ever now! It is really depressing and sickening to witness how Black children continue to be shortchanged, now at the hands of our own sisters and brothers.

The district where I work is controlled mostly by Black women. Never before have I experienced such back stabbing, back biting, lying, cheating, and politics. Prior to my tenure with this district I worked for several years in another innercity district where the majority of staff was still White. There were, of course, the typical problems faced by poor Black/Latino students. However, where I work now could be the subject of a tv show entitled, "Extreme Segregation Do Over, School Edition".

The sad thing about it is, when I first accepted the job I came with a naive outlook, that being surrounded with people who looked like me in the work place would be a warm, cozy, home-like experience. It has turned out to be quite the opposite.

Does anyone else have a similar experience of work place negativity in an all Black, or majority Black setting? If so, how do you cope and manage to successfully do your job?

Willie Lynch....plain and simple!

black on black hatin...

as far as the hatin part goes,yeah we're guilty as charged[i work in and all black workplace and see it everyday]now as for the education aspect all i can say is this,kids need the best education that we can give them i don't care what color the tacher is,hell i had black,white,oriental teachers back in the day and they all taught the same stuff,what we as parents need to be concerned with is what the curriculum is in the schools and are our young people getting what they're gonna need to make a decent living in today's society because when you strip it down to the bare bones that's what it's all about,because if it wasn't we could teach em at home,don't get caught up in the black white thing get caught up in the curriculum thing,peace out.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back