Black People : Black on Black Crime Widely Ignored, Says African American Activists

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Black on Black Crime Widely Ignored, Says African American Activists

“The outrage should be about us killing each other, about black-on-black crime,” especially in Chicago, rather than a single wrongful killing in Florida, he said.

“Would you think to have 41 people shot [in Chicago] between Friday morning and Monday morning would be much more newsworthy and deserve much more outrage?” he asked.

From Mar. 16 to Mar. 19, 41 people, mostly African-American, were shot in Chicago, Obama’s adopted hometown. Ten were killed, but there was little reaction outside Chicago, say several African-American leaders and commentators.

One of the victims was only 6 years old. She was killed in a drive-by shooting conducted by two members of the “Latin Kings” gang.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

• Like Like x 7
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    "black on black" is a abstract word game. Trayvon, Oscar Grant and those 41 people shot chicago are the same exact thing: black life is not valued in America. Their is no will to justice for black victims of crimes. Doesn't matter who you were shot by. But if you were killed by a black person and they catch him, they will throw the book at him. You can buy a gun and ammo at Walmart. Why aren't blacktivist marching against Gun Manufacturers?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    I've never seen a gun kill anybody. I've seen people with a gun kill someone. I think we should work on us first. Guns ain't going nowhere no time soon. I grow up around brothers killing brothers. Although it still happens in my hood, it's not as bad as back in the 1990s. Self hate has killed alot of brothers over the years all over this globe. I truly believe brothers killing each other should be the next target. If we don't care when we kill each other, how can we expect outsiders to care when they kill us.

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I agree with the 'blackivist' in that we need to address black-on-black killing, but I wonder if this kind of talk now is used to drown out the wrongful killing of Trayvon by a racist. I saw some 'watered down' Black man yesterday on youtube say that he believes Zimmerman is innocent. All this wonderful 'investigation'... that's what I believe is going on right now. 'They' are trying to make an innocent young 17 year old teenager who is already dead guilty when he was just walking to his house after going to the store to get some candy, when he was approached by a racist white-latino who had a gun, and pulled it out.

If the blacktivist cared so much about black-on-black crime, 'he' should have spoke out and become public about it 'yesterday' but not today, not on the back of Trayvon and his parents. smh.

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Peace MS234,

1st thing: I agree with the spirit of what you said.. I hate see any of my people dead or locked up.

2nd thing: I wouldn't characterize it as "Brothers" are killing "brothers". I'd say our young men continue to die at the hands of the operators of the system of white racism and it's resulting poverty and depravity. That is the true instrument of their deaths. It is the system that keeps them in their impoverished physical, mental and psychological condition. The murder rate has to do with the Drug market. The drug market is government sponsored. Police protected. And that's not a conspiracy theory. The cycle of poverty, miseducation/undereducation and crime is well known and every aspect of that cycle is controlled outside of the black community. Poverty is a man made condition. And the mass of black folks have been held in poverty since being brought here in chains. The people killing each other are not brothers, they are killers. they are misguided. they are the victims of this racist system of oppression and exploitation. Take away the drugs.. take away the guns.. take away the dysfunctional education.. and replace those things with safety and community and a functional education that enables men and women to provide for themselves and you will have an entirely different reality. There is not some malfunction with black folks that makes them kill other black folks. I don't know any black men that just up and decide to kill other black men. That idea is a complete fallacy.

The murders have to do with the conditions.. and the capability. Curing the conditions is how you stop the murders. Eliminating the capability is how you stop the murders. And that's not excusing anyone for their behavior, it's removing the blinders and looking at the larger picture. We have to work on all fronts simultaneously. Outside of the European lust for the blood of indigenous people, murder is a crime that usually happens within the same community of people. Black folks are held through economic segregation in the same areas with other black people. If there is crime committed by black people, normally it will be against black people as well. I imagine that all of South Africa's crime is probably "black on black". And all of Bosnias is probably white on white.. but what does the racial buzzword have to do with the underlying reason for those crimes? We have to get past these purposely ambiguous buzzword terms and zero in on whats really real. The numbers related to crime within black communities speak to the effectiveness of the system of racism. Until we understand exactly what we are fighting against, all the actions we take will be impotent.

-Peace again.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683

Sister ... i don't know who the Black Activists are ... but i've been saying the same thing all along, long before Trayvon was killed.

I just figured they were like me ... true to this and not new to this ... but i really don't know.

It's a real problem, and any serious attention it can get, is needed.

Of course no disrespect is meant to the Martin Family, i'm just thinking of all those who get no consideration when their Son is killed.

How hard must that be.

Love You!

Destee

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    It's so true sister, I've had my behind slammed so many times by my own too, but right now, I just see the trick this system is playing on that slain young man.

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683

It's kraziness Sister ... it really is ... just think about it ... it's almost as though we're now being faced with the choice of dying at the hands of white people or dying at the hands of black people ... and like all things white ... it's the better way to go ... the most lucrative, the most newsworthy ... the most sensational ... the most energized ... for you will get none of this if your Son dies at the hands of another Black Man ... in fact ... it won't even get front page billing in your local newspaper if a Black Man does it.

I just shared the following in this thread, and it is applicable to this one too ...

Most Black Parents won't have all the hoopla the Martin's are getting, surrounding their Son's death.

Nope, they sure won't. It will be very quiet, struggling to raise funds to bury their child, no news cameras, no well wishes from the country, president, or anyone outside of their own Friends and Families ... nope ... because their Son will die like far too many Black Sons die, at the hands of another Black Man. In fact, if one has to lose a Son to death, they would kinda be lucky if it were at the hand of a white person, so they can get some exposure ... some collective nation / world wide condolences ... maybe a book or movie deal ... maybe 15 minutes of fame ... a fund started in your child's name by the NBPP ... something ... for most get nothing, but heartbreak and pain.

Since your Black Son must die it seems, as many are, who would you rather kill him ... considering what comes after?

Kraziness.

Love You Sister! :grouphug:

Destee

9. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    You know, you caused me to think of my own personal saga and I'm so grateful that I don't have to deal with it in that extreme in regards to black-on-black killing back when i was drug through the courts, but I was 'done-in' by Black judges, and all Black social workers. They did me in and without a trial but, the way that I got the victory was to look past the black hatred that I was getting, because sister, I knew the whole time, that it was racist White social worker senior workers stoking up the Black women, and I knew the whole time it was this White system. And I tell you the only reason why I believe I got the victory was because, as hard as it way, I focused on the White system, and I continued to believe that there was some other Black people in the court and elsewhere that would stand up and help me, and once I got past the White people's 'Black puppets', then I got help from Black people. That's how I got the victory. But I think I understand what you are saying about getting public money, public exposure and etc. if it's not black-on-black, adn that is so sad.

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683

Yes Sister ... you mentioned the trick being played on the slain young Trayvon, but he is gone, nothing is being done to him.

The trick is being played on us, the living, as we close our eyes to the many deaths we are responsible for, focusing on this one.

It is to the system's benefit, that we focus on one, and not the many many others that are no longer with us.

Imagine if we began to focus on simply stopping the killing that happens at our own hands?!

That would mean there would be a whole bunch more Black Men they'd have to contend with on a daily basis.

A whole bunch of Black Men present and accounted for, to help their Families, protect their Momma's, children, wives, etc.

A whole bunch of Black Men whose minds and Spirit are still alive, thinking, growing, working toward a resolution of this kraziness.

They'd be in more trouble than a little bit, if we would stop the killing, but they don't want us even looking that way.

And we don't ... we only look (to this great degree) when they do it ... and they do it every now and again, to keep us riled up.

While we kill our own Sons, Brothers, Uncles, Fathers, etc., and nobody even knows the number, daily, weekly, or yearly.

To keep us confused, and eyes off of what we should be looking at ... that which we actually have some control over.

Yeah ... it's a trick alright, but it aint on the dead, it's on the living.

Love You! :kiss:

Destee