Black Money Business Jobs : Black on Black Business

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by Full Speed, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I spend a lot of money outside of the black community. Recently, I made an effort to keep as much of my money in the black community as possible. I needed an HVAC system installed and hired a Black owned company to do it. They are currently in the process of doing the job, but In the process I realized an added benefit in that this company also hired young black men. This experience was rewarding for me.

Now, this being said, there were challenges and sacrifices that I had to make in order to select this contractor over the other two. First, this contractor, unlike the other two, required an inititial payment of over $5000 before the work began and idicated that the payment would pay for materials and that these materials would take several days to come in. The other two contractors where ready to start immediately and without an upfront payment. Infact they did not require an initial payment until they were finished with the rough-in.

I did my due diligence in checking the company out, but I must admit, when I handed that dude that check, I prayed that he would show up with my materials and get the job done. He did and he is currrently on the Job. It appears he is doing a great job.

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Whew.. Brother Full Speed
    I am glad it is working out.
    Brother it takes Trust.
    To go out on a limb.
    The branch you stepped out on was not secured to a tree.

As a Black Business Man or Woman.
    We should not be that broke that we can't get the
    products and parts on credit, or from funds set up
    as expenditure funds.

Many Black Business people are trustworthy.
    What makes it hard for them to grow and get more business is
    many will not have the product selection or put out to secure
    the parts or products before they recieve some funds.
    Half or more in many cases.

If a black Business Man or Woman were to ask a white
    customer to front a large sum to secure the parts
    or before the job is started
    The job would not be awarded.

This Brother while he is skilled.
    I am sure has few jobs,
    or he wanted YOU to pay
    because he has experienced
    bad business cases of Black customers not paying.

Not good on his end if that is the case...he has a trust issue then!

Trust is a two way sword.

Thank You Brother Full Speed for sharing this.
    How much was the total job?

Your HVAC is just in time
    to keep you warm this fall.

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    As I said, I did what I consider my due diligence before awarding him the Job. He was recommended to me by the proprietor of the business that maintains my vehicles who is also black. I have known him for several years and he is uncharacteristically trustworthy for a mechanic :) I also got references from him and called them. I visited a home and a church he had done the install on and asked lots of questions.

Before I hired him, I called my mechanic and said, "hey, I want to do business with your man, his initial bid was almost a thousand dollars higher than my lowest bid but 2 thousand dollars lower than the highest. But, here is the deal, we have negotiated the price to match the lowest bid even though he is using better products (he bidded on metal pipe rather than flex...metal is more expensive) BUT he wants $5 thousand dollars up front. CAN I TRUST YOUR MAN WITH $5,000 OF MY MONEY?????"

My mechanic knows that if his endorsement falls through, it would severly impact our business relationship as well as our friendship. Yet, he definatively assured me that this man was completely trustworthy. I consider him as much based on my interactions with him as well as my conversations with his references. He also carries himself as a professional and is extremely knowledgeable in his field. He was more informative and gave a much more detailed quote than his competitors. He was not evasive when I asked questions such as "Two months from now, if I have a room that will not heat or cool, of if I have hot or cold spots, if the system is functioning normally but the problem is a design issue such as vents being placed in the wrong part of the room or if too small of a vent in an area that faces the sun, WHO PAYS TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM?" He definatively told me that I was buying comfort, not parts and pieces of an HVAC system. He told me that if he does not deliver comfort, he hasn't done his job. The other guys tap danced on this question.

One guy (his competitor who gave the lowest bid) stopped by my job to give me the quote. A White co-worker heard him giving me the estimate and heard me asking him this question. When he left, she said "I don't mean to get into your business, but is it just me or did he seem evasive when you asked direct questions?" She went on to say, "You rephrased the question several times so I know he knew exactly what you were asking, which was a good and ligetimate question, I just was uncomfortable with his answers"

The total cost of the system including tax was just over $7500 which included two units, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. This is a new construction project and not replacing an old system.

You are correct on the trust issue.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Brother FullSpeed
    Handle Your Business Brother.

Evasive answers.. I don't like either.
    Your questions were fair and related to comfort and installation.

Nice Going. You picked the Right Man.

One seed, planted will grow.

:welldone::welldone:

5. decipherx1

decipherx1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +379
    YouTube - LastHiredFirstFired's Channel