Science and Technology : Black Nerds Rising

twashing

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 17, 2004
I was watching the below lady's video about being a Black Nerd and I thought it was pretty funny. I identify with nerdiness, thinking about and over analysing pretty much everything. So I went to some of the links she mentioned and found a few interesting people. Ok, I have "Double Dribble" from when I was a kid. And I posted something about "Chocolate Rain" some months ago. But the fellow at Black Nerd Comedy is talking about all of that stuff. I had one of those big laugh out loud moments watching his video. Been at an amazing techno party and looked around to realise you were the only brother there? - got the t-shirt.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=102988527
http://www.blacknerdcomedy.com

The Black Nerd's Lament"
The Rise of the Black Nerd

http://www.blacknerdcomedy.com

I checked out this site here

From the video

I am asking myself a 'black' nerd is no different from a 'white' nerd and the VIDEO GAMES and SUCH are COMMON to all PEOPLE.

If BLACK NERD is REFINED FORM of POP CULTURE maybe a NERD in GENERAL is bought and sold like any IMAGE in SOCIETY.

A NERD is a CONSUMER and perhaps as HEAVY as the HEAVY WEIGHTS.

I think its funny how sometime we or SOMEONE other than BLACK compare ourselves to so called WHITE NERDS like 'BLACK' BILL GATES.

But that just ME and my SILLY OBSERVATION.

Oh well.

I agree with your sociological points, but technology is all around us and can't be ignored. It's like the French constantly trying to guard against the constant information that the internet brings because most of it is in English. They can't stop it and neither can we.

A Black nerd doesn't bother just like a White rapper doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with using technology to advance to goals of Pan-Africanism, industrial and information advancement and Black ownership here and on the continent.

twashing said:
I agree with your sociological points, but technology is all around us and can't be ignored. It's like the French constantly trying to guard against the constant information that the internet brings because most of it is in English. They can't stop it and neither can we.

A Black nerd doesn't bother just like a White rapper doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with using technology to advance to goals of Pan-Africanism, industrial and information advancement and Black ownership here and on the continent.

Ownership means there is a DISTINCTION being made.

Race as in 'black' and 'white' is a distinction.

One of many dividing lines of TECHNOLOGY. But the TECHNOLOGY here is CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY.

As long as I have the TIME I can afford to SIT and ENJOYS its uses, I have to be a better consumer. That means I need to spend TIME figuring that OUT. As you know some people will KILL for a NINTENDO Wii.

Ask any BROTHER or SISTER in the so call HOOD or even SUBURBIA is it ADVISABLE to TELL the WORLD you have one? When it's hot in DEMAND?

I agree with you in terms of TECHNOLOGY cannot be IGNORED but CULTURAL ASPECTS seem to be the main TRANSMISSION of this particular set which is HIP HOP music.

Even though HIP HOP MUSIC may just be a MARKETING PLOY of TECHNOLOGY CONSUMER CULTURE...to buy a NINTENDO Wii not to SAVE a AFRICAN BROTHER and SISTER.

HIP HOP MUSIC CREATION and DISTRIBUTION is the TECHNOLOGY that MANY YOUTHS use to BARTER into CONSUMER CULTURE to a GREAT DEGREE.

Technology seems to CONSUME the WORST of HIP HOP LYRICS and TWIST MUSIC in GENERAL to the OWNERS DELIGHT.

And because of that, many SOCIAL and INDUSTRIAL INNOVATION that can advance PAN AFRICANISM and any other CAUSE go to the wayside.

CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY has shaped the CULTURE...even this NERD CULTURE.

SO far, it carries EUROPEAN (AMERICAN CONSUMER) GLOBAL POLITICS with it.

Hey I want to ask have you seen this 60 minutes SPECIAL

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/36/get_me_the_geeks

I dont think any NERD whether they are BLACK or WHITE or ANY has the patience to tend to an ANGRY CONSUMER who bought JUNK because TECHNOLOGY is DUMPING CONSUMER TECHNOLOGY PRODUCTS without ANY SUPPORT or COMMITMENT.

In the TECH SUPPORT ARENA VIDEO...

Many look like they want to CRY. But they will be CRYING ALONE. Becuase TECHNOLOGY in this case comes with a PRICE.

But there is a BUSINESS being made even if FEELINGS will become NUMB in the PROCESS.

I work in the COMMUNITY and there are STACKS of COMPUTERS in the BACK CLOSET while the YOUTHS are interested in GETTING a GOOD BEAT and LYRIC.

I know who will be SMILING and who will be SCREAMING when its SAID and DONE.

I can tell you the difference, between a BLACK technical engineer, WHITE technical engineer, TAIWANESE technical engineer, and JAPANESE technical engineer.

I worked in such an environment and that ENVIRONMENT is OVERSEAS, not even in AMERICA and the POLITICS and SOCIAL are VERY DIFFERENT.

And the EUROPEANS and AMERICANS complain because the PAY is no way near what they GET back HOME and they WORK LONGER HOURS.

I see why we are GOOD at CONSUMING.

I am in the same league as a NERD and NO DIFFERENT.

But I talk JUNK anyway...

Oh well.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back